Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Familiar Face

Default alcohol carried on??????

Can I pack ANY alcohol to bring onboard? Can I purchase alcohol at ports and take back to my cabin?
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

I would recommend you use the search function to learn about bringing alcohol on board. There have been several recent threads on the topic.

As far as buying alcohol in port, you might be able to sneak small amounts on board and take to your cabin (you go through a scanner and your bags get xrayed each time you embark). But generally they will take the booze away from and and deliver it back to your cabin the last night of your cruise..
Ditto for any alcohol purchased from the ship's store. Of course anything you buy at the bar you can consume right away

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Admiral

If you want beer you can buy on carnival.com gift packs with either Corona or Budweiser(or maybe Bud Light, can't remember which). Includes a couple souvenirs along with a 6 pack. Also, Carnival does allow you to bring a 750ml bottle of wine on board that they will not confiscate. You can look at the sets in the gifts and services sections to see if you find something you like and feel is worth the price.
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:31 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
Includes a couple souvenirs along with a 6 pack.
It is only 4... not 6.
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM
First Mate

If you go to carnival's web site all the rules for bring stuff on the
ships are there.
No you are not aloud to bring your own on the ship except for one
bottle of wine per person.
you can buy stuff on the islands and they will take it from you getting
back on the ship and return it to you on the last night of the cruise.
there are limits you can buy to bring back to the states so be sure
the check that.
Drink prices on the ships are not bad at all.
you can try to take stuff on your first day and if you are lucky you
will get it on the ship. if not say good bye to it for they will not give
you that back at the end of the cruise.
Just cruise and have a good time...
sammy
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy1954
the check that.
sammy
Actually I'm not sure if there are limits. There are "duty free" limits - what is it, one liter per adult, I think. There are also practical limits if you are flying home. Do you want to turn a case of Bacardi over to the baggage handlers?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy1954
the check that.
sammy
Actually I'm not sure if there are limits. There are "duty free" limits - what is it, one liter per adult, I think. There are also practical limits if you are flying home. Do you want to turn a case of Bacardi over to the baggage handlers?
Even if its only one bottle, you can't carry it on the plane. It must go to the baggage beaters.
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Customs has duty free limits for bringing booze into the US. If you are over the limit and DECLARE it. You may have to pay a small 'duty' on the booze. A dollar or 2.

If you don't declare it and Customs finds it, you pay a fine and loose the booze. So you supply Customs with the booze and pizza money for their happy hour party.
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Beginner

When it comes to bringing alcohol on I'd stick with camocaps. They're the caps that go on your water bottles with the seal in tact so any cruise line that lets you bring on water will let you bring on alcohol if you use those and you're playing by their rules so no need to stress about getting caught. The site is camocaps. net
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Admiral

I want to clarify Carnival's wine policy. You can CARRY ON ONLY one bottle of wine per person over 21 years of age. If you pack it in your luggage it will be removed and given back to you at the end of the cruise.

On my last cruise (May 2, 2010) we got notice of prohibited item in our bag. They searched the bag in question and found nothing then released the bag to us. I had my stream curlers (Caruso) and I think they were mistaken for an iron.

Anyway we witnessed people having the bottles of wine removed from their bags and tagged in order to be returned the last night. Some people didn't understand. The one bottle of wine is carry on to the ship only. Or else what is to stop you from carrying on 2 bottles of wine and packing 2 bottles in your suitcase. No alcohol is allow in your checked bags.

Caruso curlers that caused the problem.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainleppy View Post
When it comes to bringing alcohol on I'd stick with camocaps. They're the caps that go on your water bottles with the seal in tact so any cruise line that lets you bring on water will let you bring on alcohol if you use those and you're playing by their rules so no need to stress about getting caught. The site is camocaps. net
Water bubbles are different from alcohol bubbles. I saw a security member shake this young lady's water bottle to be sure that it was only water. This is a risky move. All they would need to do is shake your bottle and you are caught.

You can call the Bon Voyage Department before the cruise (have your booking and room numbers ready) and order the bottles of alcohol. Yes, it is much more expensive then buying it at the grocery store, but it is cheaper then drinks on the ship. Plus since you are ordering directly from Carnival your bottles are within ship's policy.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 25th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Admiral

People sneak it on all the time. I myself never did it but my friends I cruise with did it without any problem. I would rather just buy a fruity drink on board.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 25th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Admiral

In Jan when we were checking in to the Legend we saw one of the Carnival people come over to a large trash can and pour out the contents of a flask. She then gave the flask back to the person. So yes Carnival is looking for liquor in your carryon.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:04 PM
First Mate

Sailed on Carnival Miracle in March with another couple. They didn't know and I forgot to tell them not bring any liquor with them. They had their bottle (unopened by the way) removed from their bags and returned to them at the end of the cruise. So yes, the policy is being enforced.

Need some cruise help?
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Rumrunnerflasks.com
Celebrity Century, 1996, Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Destiny, 2001, Dutch Treat
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 2003, Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend, 2004, Exotic S. Caribbean
Carnival Liberty, 2010, Exotic Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by by_the_board; May 26th, 2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Admiral

My friends had two bottles of rum in their check in luggage and had no problem. I think it must be a hit or miss thing. We sailed out of Tampa on the Inspiration this past December.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily View Post
It is only 4... not 6.
Carnival website says specifically its a 6 pack..

As for the beverage policy, funny just reading it..

What is the Liquor and Beverage Policy?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, guests may bring a small quantity (package of 12 per person) of non-alcoholic beverages onboard, only in their carry-on luggage.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to the guest’s stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12”H x 12”L x 12”W for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Ports-of-Call:

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be retained at the gangway, stored on board and held by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Gift Shops On Board:

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Drinking Alcohol On Board:

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone.

~ Future Cruises ~
~ None ~

~ Past Cruises ~
RCI - Vision of the Seas - 2003
RCI - Monarch of the Seas - 2004
NCL - Norwegian Sun - 2006
CCL - Paradise - 2007
CCL - Splendor - 2010
CCL - Spirit - 2011
CCL - Inspiration - 2011
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

How to Smuggle Booze onto a Cruise Ship

How to sneak liquor onto a cruise ship - the full story from an authoritative source</SPAN> 04-16-10

This article has all the infromation you need, INCLUDING LINKS TO OTHER STORIES ON ALCOHOL POLICES BY CRUISE LINE - some cruise lines allow you top bring it onboard and some do not.
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpilot View Post
Carnival website says specifically its a 6 pack..

As for the beverage policy, funny just reading it..

What is the Liquor and Beverage Policy?

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, guests may bring a small quantity (package of 12 per person) of non-alcoholic beverages onboard, only in their carry-on luggage.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to the guest’s stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12”H x 12”L x 12”W for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

Ports-of-Call:

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be retained at the gangway, stored on board and held by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Gift Shops On Board:

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Drinking Alcohol On Board:

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone.
Azpilot thank you for showing the policy here. This explains why that people lost their wine/champagne until the end of the cruise. They did not have the sealed bottles of wine in their carry on bags, it was in their checked bags. It also explains why nlb1050 saw the Carnival reps pouring out the contents of a flask (unseal container).

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

What is it about sneaking alcohol on the ship that is so important to some people? Why not just buy a few drinks on board and be done with it? Years ago Carnival had the reputation of being nothing other than glorified parties at sea. This company has worked hard to turn that image around and appeal to families. I well remember my first 2 cruises with Carnival. People were passed out drunk everywhere. As far as I am concerned I hope they keep up the good work of improving their image. I for one enjoy being on Carnival much more than in years past. I think that enforcing these rules has been a good thing.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 27th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Cruise Maniac

I chose to carry on some alcohol on my recent cruise for the same reason that I don't walk into a car dealership and pay full ticket price for a new car. I like to think of myself as an informed consumer. On my recent cruise I estimate that I saved enough $ to pay for parking at POM. I did purchase a few DOD and a bottle of wine at Harry's Steakhouse so Carnival did make some $ from me. I am a responsible consumer of alcohol beverages and don't smuggle alcohol in order to drink myself into a stupor.
Celebrity Century, 1996, Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Destiny, 2001, Dutch Treat
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 2003, Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend, 2004, Exotic S. Caribbean
Carnival Liberty, 2010, Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

here is a link to drink prices onboard.

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookcc.../cocktails.pdf

Bill
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Suggling liquor

Just returned from 7 day cruise on the Legend. All checked luggage is now scanned for alcohol!!! Started about a month ago, scores of bottles confiscated (mine was one). Notice in case stated it would be returned on the last nite of the cruise, which it was. Not really into smuggling but I resent paying $6.04 for a bottle of Bud Lite, this is price gouging at its worst. Large rum and coke, nearly $12.00!!! I know they have to make a profit but I think Carnival are going too far. Prepaid tips are pretty much the norm now , but at the end of the cruise the CD is up on the stage practically begging everyone to leave more in envelopes provided.
$20.00 for twelve articles of laundary? The cost of all inclussive vacations at a resort now seem to be a better option, sad as I really enjoy cruising but I won't be held to ransom.
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM
First Mate

Foxsup. rum and coke $12.00? Was it a double? Never have paid that much ever for a rum and coke on Carnival. Usually its about $4 and $5 depending on what rum it is.

Need some cruise help?
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Yes, it was a double.
Old May 29th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to marinemom25
Default Bringing wine on board

Well I know the policy on bringing 1 bottle on per person. But truthfully I have never had a problem(until my last trip) with bringing more on. I am in the wine industry and prefer to drink my wine and pay the corkage. I have brought up to 1 case on in my carryon luggage through the TSI screening. They open it look at it and say " Wow" Great selection. BUT, my last cruise I was stopped and told I could only carry on 2 bottles. Was asked how many people were in my party and of course I fabricated it and he let me throu with 6 bottles. But meanwhile my daughter and her friend also carried on in wine bags 6 bottles each and had no problem going though the inspection. I am cruising shortly with 26 people for my parents 65th wedding anniversary. Each Adult will be handed 1 or 2 bottles to take with their carryon and hopefully it will fly through that way.
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:20 PM
First Mate

foxsup. Thanks for the info. I can see why you did indeed pay that much.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile Rum Runners works great

Bought the cruise kit, used the 3 large bags. Filled with clear vodka and rum. Don't over fill bags, just about 3/4, so you can roll them up. Place each in an extra large zip bag, toss in as many tubes of cosmetics, toothpaste, etc so you can to camouflage. Will not be detected. Also you are allowed a 12 pack of pop per person plus a bottle of wine (750 ml).

If your too chicken to do the rum runners, you can also pre order booze to your room, as much as you want, just call guest services, and that's way cheaper than paying by the glass. But you will still need some sort of flask so as to transfer the booze from the bottle. That's where a mini cooler comes in handy. You are allowed a small 12" inch type, this way you can pour from your flasks to your soda, etc.

The biggest issue will be whether or not your luggage survives the "handling" by the cruise staff. I was shocked to see how they toss the luggage around, so I wouldn't recommend any fancy luggage for a cruise nor packing any "treasured" items.

Old March 27th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Talking liquor in cabin

Call 1-800-522-7648 Carnival Bon Voyage. You can purchase 1 liter bottles of most rum, whiskey, tequila, vodka, etc to be waiting in your room when you arrive. Bottles start around $40. It more than at home but we figure it saves alot of money onboard. I bring the small powdered drink packets and mix drinks in our Carnival insulated bottles. Sometimes purchase cans of coke for $1.95. I can carry around the deck and not have to purchase for $15-$20 per round. I like not knowing I'm bucking the rules or having a trip to the naughty room. This is not shown online. You have to call to order.
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM
First Mate

I can't believe people smuggle liquor onboard and brag about their exploits. If the cruise industry determines that their profit margin isn't high enough because of this practice, I will bet those people would be the first to complain if they raise cruise rates.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"