Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Beginner

Default Carnival Pride- Is it relaxing vs. party?

Interested in booking a cruise on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore traveling to the Bahamas. I've never taken a cruise with Carnival before. I've heard that the cruise line is a big party cruise and most of the people on the cruise are college age kids drinking and partying. Is this true? I'm looking to have fun but not a spring break, crazy atmospere.
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Admiral

I've cruised on Carnival twice now, one of them on the Pride, she's a beautiful ship.
Neither cruise was like that. You had your moments when depending on what you were doing, (kareoke vs lido deck, etc) at times it was like a party... I love the costume contest they had after stopping in Puerto Vallarta.... My sis took 2nd place to a bunch of Men who were dressed like Mexican women... of course they were drinking and getting kinda loud, but It was my choice to stay and dance with them.
Basically, I find Carnival to be what you choose it to be... of course I went in Sept, not spring break...

There were people of all ages and we had a great time.... and you will too.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old April 17th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Admiral

I doubt seriously that you'll find the "Pride" to be "over the top" for partying, unless,,,,it's right in the middle of spring break when you cruise. Even then, I don't think you'll find it to be as bad as some folks make it out to be. The shorter the cruise, the more partying goes on IMO,,,sooo,,,you should be fine on your "Pride" cruise. I personally love the Pride, and all of that class of ship. Very easy to find your way around on, and yet big enough to have lots and lots of activities. Have FUN!

Ken
"SKY"
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

One thing we have learned is that a cruise is what you make it. The first 2 cruises we tried to attend every event and show and was more tired after the cruise then before we went. The last two cruises we have learned that we don't have to do anything we don't want to do and it can be as relaxing as we want or as exciting as we want. Other people partying should not effect your cruise if you don't let them control your cruise. Do your own thing and you wont even notice the other cruisers on board.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old April 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Beginner

Thank you for the responses. I feel much better about booking this cruise now. A follow up question- the price for the room is considerably less for the fun saver rate where the ship chooses where your room is. Is it worth the extra money to choose your room?
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Admiral

We chose our room the first time and got a really nice room, the second time we chose balcony guarentee and ended up mid-ship with an ext balcony...

I would book a guarentee again and again probably until I got a bad room, then I may not choose to do that.
Bye the way, if you book the early saver, you get to choose your cabin or at least I did....
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old April 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Admiral

We've booked GTY time and time again,,,,and only gotten an undesirable cabin twice, out of, perhaps 30 cruises where we booked guarantee. More often than not, you'll get an upgrade, and a much nicer cabin than you're paying for. The only thing wrong with the "undesirable" cabins we were assigned to, was noise. If you get a cabin way, way up front, or way, way out back, you might experience more noise than you want. Sometimes it's due to machinery noise, sometimes it's only the anchor being dropped when you get into a port where you tender. It's well worth the gamble IMO....
Have a GREAT cruise.

Ken
"SKY"
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Admiral

Main factor determining what it is like is when you go. There will be more college kids on board during Fall Break(usually sometime in October) and Spring Break, but remember any ship will have places to both relax and to party. Just deal with whatever you can't control and make choices with what you can control and I am sure you will enjoy your cruise.
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Carnival Pride- Is it relaxing vs. party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiemaryland
Interested in booking a cruise on the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore traveling to the Bahamas. I've never taken a cruise with Carnival before. I've heard that the cruise line is a big party cruise and most of the people on the cruise are college age kids drinking and partying. Is this true? I'm looking to have fun but not a spring break, crazy atmospere.
Carnival did away with the
"party boat" idea over 20 years ago. But fans of other lines have not caught on to that yet. Not sure if they have noticed that Carnival now owns all but a tiny part of the entire cruise industry. Carnival did not do that by being a drunken brawl. They did it by giving the best value for the buck.
If you travel during spring break, all lines will have some kids on board. RCL, NCL, MSC, and Carnival will have an equal number.
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Carnival Pride- Is it relaxing vs. party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiemaryland
One thing that bugged me about the Pride (maybe the only thing) Is that at the Poseidon bar (Lido/Aft) is that the canned music repeated itself every 45 minutes. Our group spent a lot of time there and the music got to be a real joke. Other passengers would request no music rather than hearing 'Mac the Knife' four times in an afternoon.
Your concerns about it being a party boat are needless. Very relaxed atmosphere IMO. Cruising out of Baltimore may be a different story, but I kind of doubt it.

10-90 Holiday Carib
10-91 Princess S. Carib
1-93 Jubilee Carib
7-96 Holiday Mexico
3-08 Pride Mexico
10-08 Paradise Mexico
3-09 Pride Panama
5-09 Splendor Canada
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Admiral

If I am not wrong, the Carnival Corporation owns about 5 or 6 cruiselines. Aside from Carnival, they own Princess, Cunard, Costa, Holland America Line, and the Yachts of Seabourn. All will be similar in some respects, but each will also differ.
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
If I am not wrong, the Carnival Corporation owns about 5 or 6 cruiselines. Aside from Carnival, they own Princess, Cunard, Costa, Holland America Line, and the Yachts of Seabourn. All will be similar in some respects, but each will also differ.
You are correct so far. Carnival also owns 3 to 6 European cruises lines, NOT counting PCL, Cunard and Costa.
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Admiral

Still learning all of this stuff but my priority will of course be American clients since they will make up the bulk of my travel agency's business.
Old April 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Admiral

After almost 40 cruises, we still always book guaranteed. I have rarely had a "bad" cabin. The only one I can remember was on the bottom passenger deck and directly over the crew bar. Loud music off and on all night. Hubby talked to purser and we got moved. But, the best way to get an upgrade, or at least be eligible for one, is to book guaranteed.
Marty
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Admiral

True. It is, however, possible to be upgraded with a cabin already assigned if they do not have enough to fill the more costly cabins right?
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Admiral

It is possible, but they tend to assign cabins to those booked as guarantee as soon as they are close enough to sailing date to know how full the ship is. And even the more expensive cabins usually get sold. Ironically I have been on so many cruises now that I am not sure whether upgrades are based purely on that or guaranteed.
Marty
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Admiral

I wonder if it might just be at the whim of the cruise line. Perhaps someone may find out one of these days.