Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Default Trinidad and Tobago - Didn't know

I as watching the news coverage of President Obama when he was on the island of Trinidad. In the background where the reporter was standing by the port, was a Carnival cruiseship. I couldn't see the name of the ship but I know it was in port for two days.

My question is, what Carnival cruiseship goes to Trinidad? I looked on the Carnival site and couldn't find a stop in Trinidad.

Was the ship there for repairs or something like that?

Does anyone know.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was wondering the same thing, and once, when I was watching, there was a Carnival and Princess ship in port....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM
Passenger

I was wondering the same thing too last week, because whenever I would go into the bridgecam for the Caribbean Princess it always came up as Port of Spain, Trinidad. I was speaking with my cruise consultant today because my DW and I will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess during the week of May 10th. He said three cruise ships were in Trinidad for President Obama's summit meeting and the cruise ships were being used as hotel accomidations for the visiting diplomats.

I believe he said the Carnival ship was the Triumph.
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Beginner

You guys probably know this my now, but in case you don't I think the ships were rented for that meeting for the dignitaries to stay in. thats what i read somewere i don't remember where. but i think princess does stop there also. i can't remember all the itiniaries (hope i spelled that right)
Old April 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Admiral

One of our HAL cruises stopped at Trinidad. DOn't know if they still do, but it was my favorite itinerary.
Marty
Old April 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think Trinidad is a pretty rough island, and no cruise ships go there regularly.

Trinidad is a big island right off the coast of Venezuela. It is crowded and pretty poor - like a remote state of Venezuela. It is close to Barbados which is much nicer, but itself is pretty far from Miami. Just not much to see there and a long way to go.

Those ships went there to act as hotels for the conference attendees. They got a lot of airtime, though.
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Rats! I liked Trinidad, as well as isle of Marguerite (Venezuela) and Matinique. I guess I have been to too many sanitized, make it pretty for the tourists, ports. Now, I look for those that still present themselves as is, even if poor and crowded.
Marty
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the info guys. I was really wondering about that Carnival ship b/c it stayed in port for two days which is not the norm for Carnival except Nassau.

Carnival must have made out like a bandit on renting that ship for the summit. They got wall to wall advertisement b/c so many of the tv reporters were reporting from the port for whatever reason.

I didn't see the Princess ship on my news reports but not a bad way to hawk your name with out an annoyingly loud and splashy commercial.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)