Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
First Mate

Default Can't Find 1A Cabins Any Longer?

So, why is it that I can't seem to find 1A cabins any longer on Carnival's web site? Is it just me? Am I just looking at the wrong dates? Seems like they previously offered them on every sailing.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Admiral

The categories can be found in the booking system by clicking the category tab and scrolling all the way down.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I think your right, I haven't seen many 1A's on the cruises I have checked on the Carnival Website. I usually use a different search engine when looking for cruises and it show them, but not as much as in the past. It could be as simple as they are being booked up quicker than in the past.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default 1A Cabins

This is what I do to find a 1A cabin. I go to Carnival's site. Find desired date and ship, click on on 1 passenger. A 4A single inside will come up, next to it click on the edit button. New screen appears, scroll to bottom and if any 1A's available, they will be shown.

They have been having some good deals on the Early Saver rates for October. Have seen a 1A for a 7 day on Liberty (western) for 521.00.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Admiral

I think it depends on the ship. I too have noticed that some don't list 1-A cabins, and 4-A are the lowest class. Give Dr. Plungers solution a shot, as I've not heard of, or tried that trick before! Good Luck!

Ken
"SKY"
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Admiral

I was looking for a 1a (inner/inner) cabin for my march 2010 cruise oin Imagination and I didn't see any on the Carnival website. A week or so later, I joined AARP and was able to find this cabin through their Expedia/AARP cruise booking system, for a great rate, so I booked it. I have also heard that if you donit' find it online, call Carnival directly. Of course, they would not wnt to advertise all of their "cheapest" cabins as they want you to book the more expensive ones, so they may not be displaying all of the 1A's on the website.
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Admiral

Michelle is right. I think for obvious reasons, if Carnival can get people to book a Cat 4A rather than a 1A, it is better for the bottom line.

In these tight economical times, perhaps too many people are trying to book the cheapest and Carnival just pulls these Cat 1A's off of the online booking engine from time to time.

My guess is that Carnival is basically going to phase out Cat 1As for all but those that know to call and request one.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Captain

Personally, I am glad that the 1As do not come up as easily as before. It was always such a disappointment when you found a really awesome fare only to see that it was bunks. That may work for many, but hubby and I spend enough time apart, that's not gonna work for us. I hope though that they do not eliminate the category all together because there seems to be quite a number of folks who really like this category.
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Admiral

The 1As are really designed for the solo traveler on a budget, like myself, or possibly kids. They aren't really meant for couples in my opinion.
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Admiral

The 1A's are fine for couples, since they can bring in a bed and put it next to the bottom to make up a bed for two that is the same as higher priced cabins. The upper bank folds up against the wall, so just a slight loss of floor space compared to other cabins. Have done it many times, since these can be some of the quietest cabins on a ship and that is important to us.
Marty
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Never thought of it that way, but then I am perpetually single so I don't have a point of reference for couples travel.
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
The 1A's are fine for couples, since they can bring in a bed and put it next to the bottom to make up a bed for two that is the same as higher priced cabins. The upper bank folds up against the wall, so just a slight loss of floor space compared to other cabins. Have done it many times, since these can be some of the quietest cabins on a ship and that is important to us.
Marty
This may be one of the strongest reasons not to list Cat. 1A's. It is not Carnival's plan to add a bed to a cabin. They may do it to keep a passenger happy but it is not their plan. Hence, make Cat 1a's invisible online so that couples that want to sleep side by side book cat 4a for just a bit more money.

I have been in Cat 1a where it would not be feasible to add a bed side by side. It makes navigating in the room all but impossible. In fact almost without except if you add a bed to a Cat 1A you then block something off (closets, bathroom, hall). I think that is why they add the sofa or club chair. It deters the notion that a bed can be added.

BTW, aren't Cat 1a basically the same price as a Cat 4 except for a solo you only pay 150% of the double occupancy price? I think the difference in price is minimal.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Admiral

The Category 1As are cheaper. Especially if you are cruising alone. I am currently booked in a 1A and it was the only way I could afford it. They really need to drop down the single supplement to no more than 150% for all cabins. I think the cruise lines try to avoid taking solo cruisers which to me makes no sense.
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Just returned today off of Holiday where I had my first cat 1A cabin. Not bad ! It was a nice fit for a solo traveler who "never stays in his room"( according to room steward).
Only issue I had was noisy location in the stern. Too much commotion, way too much commotion...engines, winches and what-not.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Admiral

I take it you had one on the lower decks. There are a few on the higher decks. Depends on what ship you are on.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Freedom Bound

Am on the Carnival Freedom on Nov.1 sailing. Got a 1A cabin, 7345, right in the middle of everything. 2 decks up or down either way and I'm there, aaaaaaaaaiiiiieeeee!!!! Single 1A's are great!!!!!

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
The Category 1As are cheaper. Especially if you are cruising alone. I am currently booked in a 1A and it was the only way I could afford it. They really need to drop down the single supplement to no more than 150% for all cabins. I think the cruise lines try to avoid taking solo cruisers which to me makes no sense.
Cruises are capacity controlled. All of their financial projections are based on at least two passengers per cabin. Single cruisers skew these numbers. This is where the single supplement comes into play. It may not make sense to us but the cruiselines operate under a master plan.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
I take it you had one on the lower decks. There are a few on the higher decks. Depends on what ship you are on.
U212 on the upper deck ....deck 6. With the exception of 10 verandas on deck 11, all the rooms are on decks 4,5,6, & 7.
The holiday is a bit odd in that way.

/ticker.png">
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Faraway, the master plan of any cruise line is to make as much money as possible. Instead of charging 200% if they charged 150%, they would better target possible new business. I am aware some lines charge this or less for the single supplement. I also believe every line would benefit from the availability a Single Share match program. I am looking at it from the point of view of a business as well as the passenger. To me this middle ground makes the most sense from both perspectives.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Single share programs are disasters waiting to happen. This puts the burden of you getting along with your roomy on the shoulders of the cruiseline.

What happens if you and your roomy just don't hit it off? If you brought your roomy with you, then it "oh well, live with it." If Carnival (or whoever) paired you with your roomy, the first time the roomy annoys you (which happens a lot on 7 night cruises), you run to the purser's desk and demand instant separation.

It is just not worth taking on that burden.

Cat 1A are tucked in obscure locations of the ship where the design allows for a cabin but for different reasons the cabin is not shaped properly for two beds to be laid out side by side. Hence the break on the price. Carnival expects solos and children to be the primary market for these cabins.

As the economy tightens perhaps Carnival is seeing more and more paired adults attempt to book these cabins in an attempt to save a few dollars. If a couple is willing to either sleep bunk or force the steward to drag another bed into a Cat 1A just to save a few hundred $$, how much money is this couple really going to spend on the ship? These ship's profit is in the onboard charges and the like. They don't make any money on these cabins.

I don't blame Carnival. The above scenario should be discouraged. Removing the cabins from selection online is a good way to weed out these bargain basement cruisers. They simply are not profitable.

Solo cruisers spend little time in their cabins. Therefore, they are out and about, hopefully running up their ship account (I know I am). The teens and children have parents in more pricey cabins and are also rarely in their cabins, again, can you hear, CHING!! CHING!!

It is simple math.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Single share programs are disasters waiting to happen. This puts the burden of you getting along with your roomy on the shoulders of the cruiseline.

What happens if you and your roomy just don't hit it off? If you brought your roomy with you, then it "oh well, live with it." If Carnival (or whoever) paired you with your roomy, the first time the roomy annoys you (which happens a lot on 7 night cruises), you run to the purser's desk and demand instant separation..........................
I agree 100% there. Pairing up with a total stranger is a bad idea. One might be a late night party animal, another an early to bed morning person, one slob...one snob.
After having to double up in the military, that's the last thing I would do on vacation.
You are also correct on singles not spending much time in the room. I'm not the only single who becomes a social butterfly once I board. Since we don't have a family with us, we tend to adopt the ship as our "family".
My cabin steward informs me that many guest stay in their rooms "all the time". One can help but wonder why book a cruise then barricade one-selves inside a 190 square foot room ?

/ticker.png">
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Admiral

I am a late night party snob. . Chronic insomnia, it can be a b****
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Admiral

I cruise solo by design.

Often when friends hear that I am going on a cruise, they make mention of wanting to accompany me. For so many reasons, this is not what I want. However, the surefire way to rid them of the notion to join me on my vacation is to inform them that I WILL ONLY SHARE A CABIN WITH AN INTIMATE PARTNER . In other words, if we are not doing the do, there is no reason in the world for me to share my space. It is not worth the $$ saved.

Many people who have never vacationed alone cannot imagine the glory of having a cabin/hotel room all to yourself.

I have awful sleep habits on vacation. I wait up at the crack of dawn, get up and out on Lido Deck. By around noon or 1:00 I am sleepy. It is now time to retire to my cabin for a long nap. I wait up again at around 5 or so, get ready for the dinner and the evening and I am out and about the ship until 3 or 4 a.m. In short, I sleep 3 maybe 4 hours at a time, a couple of times a day. This is not conductive to a good roommate situation.

Oh yeah, I need to go to sleep with the TV on!! I may or may not snore (rumors!!) and I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to go to the loo. Then the TV has to be turned back on!!!

Oh yeah, I got issues!!! Only a spouse or lover would put up with me.!! hahahahah

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
I cruise solo by design.

Often when friends hear that I am going on a cruise, they make mention of wanting to accompany me. For so many reasons, this is not what I want. However, the surefire way to rid them of the notion to join me on my vacation is to inform them that I WILL ONLY SHARE A CABIN WITH AN INTIMATE PARTNER . In other words, if we are not doing the do, there is no reason in the world for me to share my space. It is not worth the $$ saved.

Many people who have never vacationed alone cannot imagine the glory of having a cabin/hotel room all to yourself.

I have awful sleep habits on vacation. I wait up at the crack of dawn, get up and out on Lido Deck. By around noon or 1:00 I am sleepy. It is now time to retire to my cabin for a long nap. I wait up again at around 5 or so, get ready for the dinner and the evening and I am out and about the ship until 3 or 4 a.m. In short, I sleep 3 maybe 4 hours at a time, a couple of times a day. This is not conductive to a good roommate situation.

Oh yeah, I need to go to sleep with the TV on!! I may or may not snore (rumors!!) and I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to go to the loo. Then the TV has to be turned back on!!!

Oh yeah, I got issues!!! Only a spouse or lover would put up with me.!! hahahahah
after being single all this time, there are doubts that ANYONE out there could accommodate my sleeping habits, or me in general.

/ticker.png">