Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Old April 28th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Miami - April 28th 5:00 PM

We have decided to cancel all calls at Mexican ports for all current sailings and all voyages departing on Thursday, April 30th through Monday, May 4th. In many cases, we will be able to substitute the cancelled call with an alternative port. Additionally, we are working on alternatives for those itineraries impacted by this decision. Full details will be available by 5pm tomorrow. Please continue to check back as we will provide the latest information online at carnival.com. In the unlikely event that our new itinerary options are not to your liking, we will also give you the opportunity to reschedule your cruise at a later date. Those details will also be made available tomorrow.

Our primary concern is your safety. We will continue to monitor the situation and will keep you updated if and when changes are made.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard your "Fun Ship" cruise.
this is from the carnival website...im anxious to know where im going as i leave on may 4th. i booked this cruise because i wanted to go back to mexico, i also have an excursion booked there...i dont want an extra day at sea and i dont want to spend an extra day in grand caymen, we are already going there one day! oh poop...........

~Carnival Inspiration May 2009~
~Carnival Imagination Sept 2007~
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
They are substituting with California ports. No choice.
Well they have to go to an international port. Maybe Canada.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Since you are going to Grand Cayman, you should expect Key West or Jamaica to be substituted for Cozumel. Mexico is canceled through May 4th and you should be able to get a refund on your prepaid excursion.
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I would'nt be too concerned about catcthng swine flu in Cozumel, I'd be more concerned getting it from all those big fat pigs lined up at the buffet bar! You know who I mean!!!!!
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
Since you are going to Grand Cayman, you should expect Key West or Jamaica to be substituted for Cozumel. Mexico is canceled through May 4th and you should be able to get a refund on your prepaid excursion.
i would love it to be jamaica or somewhere ive never been...

Old April 28th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Really, if you think about it, they are going to go to a port that is nearby so those two ports make the most sense.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Passenger

According to the Carnival website, the April 29th port of Cozumel will be substituted with Nassau for the Imagination.

If the travel ban is still in effect by May 18th for our cruise, I would hope they might change to Grand or Little Cayman, or a port in Jamaica. I guess it depends on whether there is any space left in the ports after the regularly scheduled ships are looked after.

As long as I get to go, I will make lemonade out of these lemons... 8)
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks23
Quote:

We have decided to cancel all calls at Mexican ports for all current sailings and all voyages departing on Thursday, April 30th through Monday, May 4th. In many cases, we will be able to substitute the cancelled call with an alternative port. Additionally, we are working on alternatives for those itineraries impacted by this decision. Full details will be available by 5pm tomorrow. Please continue to check back as we will provide the latest information online at carnival.com. In the unlikely event that our new itinerary options are not to your liking, we will also give you the opportunity to reschedule your cruise at a later date. Those details will also be made available tomorrow.

Our primary concern is your safety. We will continue to monitor the situation and will keep you updated if and when changes are made.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard your "Fun Ship" cruise.
this is from the carnival website...im anxious to know where im going as i leave on may 4th. i booked this cruise because i wanted to go back to mexico, i also have an excursion booked there...i dont want an extra day at sea and i dont want to spend an extra day in grand caymen, we are already going there one day! oh poop...........

Well I know it stinks but at least they are letting people reschedule. I think Carnival is darned if they and darned if they don't.

People are gonna be mad if they go and they are at risk and then people are mad if they don't go.

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:21 AM
First Mate

I wonder if it will get to where the port will not allow the ship to dock if it has been to certain other ports....
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWench
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks23
Quote:

Well I know it stinks but at least they are letting people reschedule. I think Carnival is darned if they and darned if they don't.

People are gonna be mad if they go and they are at risk and then people are mad if they don't go.
im def not mad at all im very excited..nervous about the unknow but very excited, i like what the previous poster said, make lemonade out of these lemons, carnival is doing a great job at getting everyone to still hav e agreat cruise!

Old April 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Captain

Ok, here is my 3 1/2 cents worth...as a nurse and a traveler.

This is NOTHING to "sneeze" at, so to speak. We just do not know what we are dealing with and frankly, Mexico and the world health organization do not know why mexico has such a serious outbreak vs USA.

My point is, do you really want to risk your health, or the health of other passengers by visiting Mexico? Just this morning, a toddler died in Texas. This thing is happening. Our pediatric hospital is on high alert in Fort Worth, with over 100 children being seen yesterday, non which actually had the flu, but pandomonia is rising.

The problem i'm having with those who want to visit mexico, is if you do contact the flu, you have an incubation period, you might not get sick till you get home, and then who do you spread it to? Your co workers, your children....

not to mention if you do contract the disease, who easily is it spread, (seems easy enough) and how many people on this tight ship with all its nasty handrails and slot machines did you give it too before you dock?

Why risk it? Is it really all that important? They wont let you out of your room on a cruise if you even mention you might have diarrhea, i just can NOT imagine the cruise line wanting to spread this flu.

It IS ABSOLUTELY killing people, vs just the misery that is Norwalk.

Dont know about the rest of you, but if the ship docks, atleast half will get off, and that half could bring the flu back to the other half that didnt want to chance the infection.

Frankly, if I were booked on a cruise to mexico and they did decide to make the stop, and I knew that before i went, I'd ask for a refund and cruise somewhere else. I would never take the chance of bringing this home to my kids or my cruise neighbor bringing it back to me.

All flu, every year kill umpteens of thousands of people world wide, however this particular strain has killed many many people in just a few weeks. That in itself is rare related to the few that have actually contracted the disease.

You can by flumadine over the counter in mexico, but not here. However health care is harder to obtain in Mexico. Could be why more deaths.

The flu has no cure, flumadine can help lessen it, but doesnt cure it. Its just chicken soup, hand washing, kleenex and time, along with tylenol. But you just never expect to DIE from it.

No, i wouldnt travel to Mexico right now if you paid me to cruise there. I'd wait it out with a refund and book a nother one later if mexico is where you HAVE to go, or just refund and book else where.

Good luck.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Okay let's take a moment for a defination check. This if from http://human-infections.suite101.com...e_fundamentals

Endemic, the normal disease situation in a defined location or place. This means the normal incidence of infectious diseases such as hepatitis, or influenza, or salmonellosis, etc..

Epidemic,
an outbreak, an increase above normal epidemic levels. Enidemic might be a few cases, if there are none normally, or currently. It might be a dozen, a hundred, or several thousand.

Pandemic, disease spreading, or threatening to spread, throughout the globe, covering the entire planet. The epidemic flu of 1918-1919 was a true pandemic. AIDS is a pandemic.

Read more: "Pandemics, Epidemics, Endemics: The Fundamentals: Epidemiology: Infectious Disease Spread and Dissemination Principles" - http://human-infections.suite101.com...xzz0E4eyIXSK&A

From these definations I would call this a Epidemic not a Pandemic. Less then 200 people have died from this disease a true Pamdemic would impact a thousands to millions of people. The Media uses the word Pandemic to cause panic and it ticks me off.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Epidemic, an outbreak, an increase above normal epidemic levels.
I assume you meant to say "above normal endemic levels.".[/quote]
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5

This is NOTHING to "sneeze" at, so to speak. We just do not know what we are dealing with and frankly, Mexico and the world health organization do not know why mexico has such a serious outbreak vs USA.

My point is, do you really want to risk your health, or the health of other passengers by visiting Mexico? Just this morning, a toddler died in Texas. This thing is happening. Our pediatric hospital is on high alert in Fort Worth, with over 100 children being seen yesterday, non which actually had the flu, but pandomonia is rising.

The problem i'm having with those who want to visit mexico, is if you do contact the flu, you have an incubation period, you might not get sick till you get home, and then who do you spread it to? Your co workers, your children....

not to mention if you do contract the disease, who easily is it spread, (seems easy enough) and how many people on this tight ship with all its nasty handrails and slot machines did you give it too before you dock?

Why risk it? Is it really all that important? They wont let you out of your room on a cruise if you even mention you might have diarrhea, i just can NOT imagine the cruise line wanting to spread this flu.

Dont know about the rest of you, but if the ship docks, atleast half will get off, and that half could bring the flu back to the other half that didnt want to chance the infection.

Frankly, if I were booked on a cruise to mexico and they did decide to make the stop, and I knew that before i went, I'd ask for a refund and cruise somewhere else. I would never take the chance of bringing this home to my kids or my cruise neighbor bringing it back to me.

All flu, every year kill umpteens of thousands of people world wide, however this particular strain has killed many many people in just a few weeks. That in itself is rare related to the few that have actually contracted the disease.

You can by flumadine over the counter in mexico, but not here. However health care is harder to obtain in Mexico. Could be why more deaths.

The flu has no cure, flumadine can help lessen it, but doesnt cure it. Its just chicken soup, hand washing, kleenex and time, along with tylenol. But you just never expect to DIE from it.

No, i wouldnt travel to Mexico right now if you paid me to cruise there. I'd wait it out with a refund and book a nother one later if mexico is where you HAVE to go, or just refund and book else where.

Good luck.
I totally agree with you, Carnival is looking out for the health and concern of it's passengers, I think that is great!!!
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
Quote:
Epidemic, an outbreak, an increase above normal epidemic levels.
I assume you meant to say "above normal endemic levels.".
[/quote]
See what happens when you copy and paste. Thanks for catching that I have edited the original post.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Admiral

I realize that 30,000 people die from the flu every year....but they are "generally" the elderly who are about to die anyway.

I believe the scary thing about Swine is the number of 30 and 40 year old "otherwise" healthy adults that is has killed.

And as stated earlier....we still do not really know what we are dealing with.

I applaud Carnival for being cautious....even if it is overly cautious.

It isn't serious to some folks until it is their relative that is affected and then all of a sudden...they are not as flippant about it.

No vacation is worth your life and there is no need to expose people if you don't have to....especially until we understand exactly what we are dealing with.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Definitions

Katlady, thanks for the definiton of Pandemic and the links.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Admiral

This is interesting also. http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui...y_updates.aspx

Cruise Ship Original New Arrival Date
Ecstasy Progresso *Fun Day at Sea April 29*
Ecstasy Cozumel *Fun Day at Sea April 30*
Fantasy Progresso Key West April 29
Fantasy Cozumel *Fun Day at Sea April 30
Legend Cozumel *Fun Day at Sea April 29
Conquest Cozumel *Fun Day at Sea May 1
Valor Cozumel Key West May 2
Paradise Ensenada Fun Day at Sea April 29
ImaginationCozumel Nassau April 30
Splendor Cabo San Francisco May 1

Hey I have Friday off maybe I will go and see the Splendor.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Beginner

My parents are currently on the Carnival Ectasy ship, and according to Carnival, all MX ports on this trip will be replaced by "Fun day at sea".

I have never been on a cruise, so not sure what this means. Does anyone have any thoughts if they will recieve some type of credit or voucher for them having to remain on the ship the entire time?
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Nurseypoo, for putting some reality into this discussion.
This particular flu has some very scarey similarities to the 1918 flu pandemic that killed up to 50 million people. And, that was before any mechanized transportation was common. The vast majority of people did not have access to cars, trains, buses, airplanes, let alone cruise ships. Plus, population density was a lot lower.
In today's world, if this does break into a pandemic, it is going to be BAD. And, normal ways of prevention, like hand washing, help, but may not be enough. Oh, BTW, flumadine does not work on this particular variation.
We still are saving our pennies to do a cruise, but I won't be booking it until we know more about this flu. Please, people, cruises are a luxury. One I fully admit to being addicted to, but that pales in the face of a potential world-wide disaster.
WHew. I need a vacation just thinking about it.
Marty
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Thanks again Kat for the helpful links

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

If my ship, Holiday, is still going to Cozumel on May 14 we're going. The outbreak is not there. I trust Carnival will not take cruisers to where they might end up with a lot of passengers coming down with swine flu. It most certainly would not take the risk of the bad publicity from such action.
We plan to go and have a great time.
The only way we won't go is if the cruise cancels and I don't think that will happen.
Life is too short to be afraid all of the time. Eat, drink and be merry!
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Passenger

I believe the actual death toll right now is 8. Way over blown. How many people have died in a car accident today?
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5

Good luck.
I agree with you 99% if my ship did decide to go to mexico anyway, i wouldnt want to get off the ship, however i cant prevent the other 50 percent leaving. I am an MA for a doctors office and i am very concerned about my vacation as i leave in five days, but i cannot reschedule it, my husband only gets certain days off if we cancel, we cannot reschedule and therefore would lose the money, i can change my schedule but my husband cannot...therefore i am going and i am going to make the best of it
i back carnival totally and are pleased with the way they are working with everyone to help prevent this situation as much as possible.

Old April 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I thought I read in our local papers in Fl that Carnival has cancelled trips to Mexico.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

here's some more food for thought:

i'm not sure how it works in the states, but I assume it's the same as Canada. If you travel to an area that has a travel advisory in it, and you get sick, YOUR INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER YOU!!!! Moreover, there was a lady that got sick with a respiratory illness that was UNRELATED to swine flu in Mexico, and she couldn't get a hospital to take her in back here! Some random hospital in a small town ended up doing so.

Not worth it. I'd rather have a few more sea days personally.

As an aside, I remember watching a documentary a few years ago that said, the next pandemic that wipes out 1/3 of all human life will not be some crazy ebola virus or something out of the deepest jungle.. It would be the flu... --Not saying this swine flu will be THAT flu, but it is something to take quite seriously.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Insurance does not cover for travel into an epidemic zone either, which is why Royal Caribbean should quit saying not to worry about it. That is leaving them open to a class action suit.

It is interesting that you say that the next pandemic would wipe out 1/3rd of humanity. That is about the same a what the Book of Revelations mentions in the Bible. I find this an interesting parallel. Though I certainly am not a believer in mainstream religion, I do pay attention to prophecy.
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

It will be blown way out of proportion, but that is society now a days. They already closed one school in Lafayette for the rest of the week - as they have children with 'flu like' symptoms' and one of those kids went on a cruise last week. Is it real? Who knows? Is it something to be taken seriously? Most definitely. My philosopy -------- get up and live your day and don't worry about tomorrow. If it comes my way, I'll handle it then. Until then, I won't live in a bubble, but take the usual precautions I would take anywhere, any time = whether on a cruise ship or not. Just hope for the best. Good handwashing and staying healthy are a priority here.
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Admiral

Like I said. It's the end of the world. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!! !