Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Beginner

Default Trying to decide

Hi everyone, taking a mother-daughter cruise in August. She's 29, never been on a cruise before. Our choices so far are between the Freedom, Glory, and Liberty. Any suggestions on which would be better with comparison to food, entertainment, and overall experience? thanks!
LindaKY
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Your best way to start is to look at available itineraries.
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sounds like You have picked some good ones. So either way. Have been on the Glory and going on the freedom next. So It sounds like you just have to see what looks better for you personally. You wil have a ball. No matter what ship you go on. have fun!
Old April 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Admiral

I agree that you've selected some excellent ships. I personally, have sailed Glory, and Liberty a number of times, and they are both very, very good. I've never done Freedom, but since it's the newest, I'd probably give it a slight edge. My final decision would depend on the port of embarkation (I think Port Canaveral is a bit better) and the price. Everything else being equal, I'd probably go with Freedom. In any case, you won't go wrong with any of these three ships. All are really, really good.

Ken
"SKY"
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Port Canaveral always seems to be cheaper; maybe because it's not a port in a major city. You have to fly into Orlando and then take the 45-50 min hike to get there. I did the Glory in Aug 2007 out of Port Canaveral. Loved the Glory, went to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. Great cruise but I didn't care for the transfer from Orlando to the port. Something to consider...it was $70/pp through Carnival...don't know what other companies could get you there or for how much.

Old April 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Captain

I love to sail out of Port Canaveral. We just do a car rental and it works out best for pricing, much cheaper than the Carnival Transfers. It is wonderful to get to the port, park quickly, not have to stand in line forever, things are well organized. Definitely one of my favorite embarkation ports. All other things being equal I'd choose the ship leaving from Port Canaveral.
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
I agree that you've selected some excellent ships. I personally, have sailed Glory, and Liberty a number of times, and they are both very, very good. I've never done Freedom, but since it's the newest, I'd probably give it a slight edge. My final decision would depend on the port of embarkation (I think Port Canaveral is a bit better) and the price. Everything else being equal, I'd probably go with Freedom. In any case, you won't go wrong with any of these three ships. All are really, really good.

Ken
"SKY"
Pardon me Skymaster, but Freedom isn't the newest ship anymore. Splendor is, over here on the West Coast. Were everyone forgets about us. Freedom is a really nice ship with an over the top design and fish and chip (which I loved). I would love to cruise the Freedom again. I vote Freedom (or Splendor lots of deals to Mexico right now ).

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old April 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Ah but Freedom is the newest of the three the original poster mentioned.

Glory, Liberty and Freedom are all the same "class" of ship, so for the most part the ships are structurally the same (same deck plans) the only difference will be the decor. And they will have pretty much the same amenities. Check out the ships on Carnival's website.

I don't think you will go wrong with any of them. What are your other criteria? Ports? Days at sea? Ease of getting to the ship and back home?

Seems airfare is usually cheaper to Orlando - that Disney magic, than other FL destinations, but you have that hour drive to the port. The airport and seaport are really close in Fort Lauderdale.

What ever you choose I'm sure you will have a good time. Hang around hear on Cruise Mates, browse of search for specific questions. If you still can't find a good answer go ahead and ask away.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

FYI, it's a lot cheaper to fly in Fort Lauderdale as well in case you choose a cruise leaving from there or Miami...I'm doing that this Aug and will pay $15 pp/each way from Fort Lauderdale to the Port of Miami.

I agree with the other folks though, since the 3 ships you are considering are all from the same class, they will be mostly the same; all will have similar amenities.

It's probably more about the itinerary. Some itineraries offer 4 ports days, others 3 (assuming you are going a week). Do you want more days on the ship at sea or more days getting off the ship? Some ports require you to tender to the land others dock at land; some people care about those things. I've read a lot about other ports through cruisemates so it helped me decide where I wanted to go.

When in doubt, ask! There's enough people on this site that have been to the various places you would go to. I love the Eastern itinerary better than the Western!