Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default insurance and jury duty

The last cruise I went on, I was called for Jury Duty ------ it was an act of congress AND a bunch of lying by my supervisor that got me off the hook so I could enjoy my cruise. I always took out insurance, but now I DEFINITELY take it out, as that is one of the clauses in the insurance policy ------- a call to jury duty or an act of God (hurricanes).
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Captain

I'm glad you raised this. I just looked at our insurance that we just got for an upcoming trip, had to buy special insurance due to pregnancy, but alas guess what? It specifically excludes Jury Duty and even worse Loss of Employment! Gosh the stuff they bury in the fine print! Lucky for me though, as an officer of the court, I don't get summoned! WooHoo.
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Passenger

I guess because of where I live there is always such a large jury pool it's not a problem. I've seen many people excused because of vacation plans, they'll just put you back in the pool once your vacation is over...

10-90 Holiday Carib
10-91 Princess S. Carib
1-93 Jubilee Carib
7-96 Holiday Mexico
3-08 Pride Mexico
10-08 Paradise Mexico
3-09 Pride Panama
5-09 Splendor Canada
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:03 PM
First Mate

When I got my Jury Duty notice it included instructions on how to be excused, including if you have confirmed vacation plans. All it took was to show the Jury Co-ordinator your documents and he would re schedule you.
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Wow ------- nope, my documents didn't have that. I'm sure I'm back in the pool -------- and wouldn't mind serving as long as it didn't interfer!
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
First Mate

yeah, i've gotten out twice for vacation...once cause i was on vacation when i was to serve, the other was that i would have been on if i got picked.

In that instance, the judge asked if anyone had plans as the trial would be about 7 days.....and we were going to aruba or mexico or something....(i even had an invoice from the airline tickets in case...) the judge said, thanks, and enjoy yourself.....

I am one of those peope who actually LIKES jury duty...(except now the area where the courthouse and parking lots are located is REALLY unsafe..and they bus you in a sheriff's bus the 3 blocks...

wonder if fear of bullets flying would work (seriously....our state capital isn't the safest anymore)!

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old May 1st, 2009, 02:15 PM
Admiral

I too have gotten off for cruise plans. Also, as a former LEO I usually don't have to serve anyway. It would be a bummer to have jury duty instead of a cruise wouldn't it?

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Since it is brought up, I wonder why I haven't been selected for Jury Duty in the last 11 years considering I am in a high crime area(small town with major drug problems), have a state issued id and am a registered voter.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Passenger

Default Jury Duty

I don't know about other places but in Harris County-Houston you can reschedule your own service online. You can go at least 3 months out so there is usually no problem.
I also enjoy serving on juries but being an Insurance Fraud Investigator most attorneys don't want me!!!!
Carnival Ecstacy December 2008
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Admiral

I would think the defense attorney would have an issue with me. I am the kind of person who has strong convictions but knows how to use them judiciously so that justice is served. Defense attorneys tend to twist the truth to their benefit, hoping nobody sees through their ruse.
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Um, Brad, so do prosecutors. Grandpa was one and it is deliberately built into the system that it be confrontational and it is every lawyers job to try to win.
Marty
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Admiral

The point is at what cost. Personally, if I ever get a law degree, it will not be in anything that requires me to go to trial. Couldn't take it if the right thing failed to happen.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime
I'm glad you raised this. I just looked at our insurance that we just got for an upcoming trip, had to buy special insurance due to pregnancy, but alas guess what? It specifically excludes Jury Duty and even worse Loss of Employment! Gosh the stuff they bury in the fine print! Lucky for me though, as an officer of the court, I don't get summoned! WooHoo.
It must be different there because my sister and I are both clerks of the court in our county and we've both not only got called but also had to serve on jury duty.
But we got paid our reg pay and I've always wanted to serve, so I was very excited to be chosen.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009