CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   cane with flip down seat on cruise - recommendations wanted (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/364028-cane-flip-down-seat-cruise-recommendations-wanted.html)

Michelle1959 May 2nd, 2009 10:08 AM

cane with flip down seat on cruise - recommendations wanted

has anyone seen people on cruises with a cane/walking stick that has a built-in fold out seat?

I'm trying to find a good "cane" with a built-in pull down seat as my bad left leg (damaged perenneal nerve) is gettong worse over the years and I realize I will need something like this for when I'm going to be doing any amount of walking or standing.

If anyone has one they either recommend or discourage me to buy, please let me know. I will want one to take on my March 10 cruise but of course am looking for it now (so I can walk the malls longer)!

Thanks!

Snoozeman May 2nd, 2009 10:42 AM

I just did a GIS and there where six different ones on Amazon.com

I don't have any experience with them though.

colorcrazie May 2nd, 2009 01:58 PM

I never travel without one. Got mine from Magellans. It is called a sport seat and is under $30. Very light weight. I have had so many people ask me about it, especially in ports on cruises that I think I should start getting a commisssion. The only thing is that when you fold the seat down, you have a 3 legged chair and have to straddle it for stability. But, it holds up to 300 lbs. Think I'll need a few more cruises before I exceed that!
Marty

Michelle1959 May 2nd, 2009 06:00 PM

Marty, Thanks, I have seen that online and it's good to hear a recommendation from someone who actually uses it. Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I never travel without one. Got mine from Magellans. It is called a sport seat and is under $30. Very light weight. I have had so many people ask me about it, especially in ports on cruises that I think I should start getting a commisssion. The only thing is that when you fold the seat down, you have a 3 legged chair and have to straddle it for stability. But, it holds up to 300 lbs. Think I'll need a few more cruises before I exceed that!
Marty

bobsfamily May 3rd, 2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle1959
Marty, Thanks, I have seen that online and it's good to hear a recommendation from someone who actually uses it. Michelle

Quote:

Marty

Many years ago I go one that is truly a cane... it folds open at the top with a small canvas area to sit on but only has the one "leg" you two legs make the tripod. I got it from a golf shop... haven't seen them in a while.
This is very close:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00019Z1G8/...8&linkCode=asn

What I liked about it is that you do not need much room.. have used it line before as it just sticks out behind you.

Michelle1959 May 3rd, 2009 12:44 PM

Marty, Thanks...I like the idea of the one with 3 legs. I figure the less weight I have on my left leg, the better. So thanks, I will look into the tripod Megellan sport seat.

I looked at the photo of the sport seat and when it's folded up, do the 3 legs come all the way together, or is it like walking with a 3-pronged cane?

[/quote]
Many years ago I go one that is truly a cane... it folds open at the top with a small canvas area to sit on but only has the one "leg" you two legs make the tripod. I got it from a golf shop... haven't seen them in a while.
This is very close:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00019Z1G8/...8&linkCode=asn

What I liked about it is that you do not need much room.. have used it line before as it just sticks out behind you.[/quote]

colorcrazie May 3rd, 2009 02:39 PM

Two of the legs come up a kind of a v shape. So, as a cane, it only has one leg. But, the other two are pretty close to the main one, so I have never had a problem with that. I would like one that folded up completely, but, usually, if I need the seat, I can use the cane as well. And, my balance isn't great, so using one with only one leg would have me really tipsy....without the alcohol!
Bought one for an elderly friend who still loves to travel...a lot...and she swears by it.
Marty

Michelle1959 May 3rd, 2009 05:01 PM

Ok thanks, I still think it will be the best type for me, as I probably can use the "cane" to give my bad leg the support it needs so I can talk farther before the leg really starts to bother me, and I can pull the seat up when I need to rest or am standing in a long line.

Quote:

Two of the legs come up a kind of a v shape. So, as a cane, it only has one leg. But, the other two are pretty close to the main one, so I have never had a problem with that. I would like one that folded up completely, but, usually, if I need the seat, I can use the cane as well. And, my balance isn't great, so using one with only one leg would have me really tipsy....without the alcohol!
Bought one for an elderly friend who still loves to travel...a lot...and she swears by it.
Marty