Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Familiar Face

Default Police in Cozumel corrupt

Neighbors of mine were recently in Cozumel with us and their son and gf went for a scooter ride and the police pulled them over and claimed they were speeding and wanted money or come back to the police station. They refused both their requests and then the police asked for $10 dollars for each officer. They refused to pay them that and the police just turned around and left. Just a warning when Mexico opens back up.

Jim
RCCL "Liberty of the Seas" 2007
Carnival "Pride" 2009
Carnival "Dream" 2010
NCL "Gem" 2011
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
First Mate

There are a lot of corrupt police in Mexico. My uncle once told me that if they stop you, you put your licence up to the window and tell them to give you a ticket. You never get out of the car. Never open the window. And if you feel unsafe, you drive to the police station. Generally they will leave you alone when they realize it isn't easy money.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I recall being in Cozumel and two of the ladies at our tables had gone to the ruins. They were told by their guides that it is illegal to fish in many parts of Mexico. The military/police will apply the law, but they are the worst offenders because no one is going to shoot a cop or military personnel.

They will prey on us whenever and where ever they can. That is one reason I do not like Mexico.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
Admiral

This is why I hire a driver or take a taxi.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
First Mate

This is nothing new. If we have corruption here in the States why is it such a suprise to find it any where else. Just be careful and use common sense when traveling.

Read and post cruise reviews
Read and post cruise reviews

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 11/09 (VIP Status)
Inspiration 10/10 (VIP Status)
Destiny 10/11 (VIP Status)
Enchantment of the Seas(RC)04/13
Dream 07/13
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Admiral

What--you mean there's corruption somewhere in the world besides the good ol' U.S.??
What about the members of our congress that's been under investigation and in jail in the last few years? What about the recent scandal involving the Gov. of Illinois ? If we wanted to talk corruption we could fill volumes from our own officials here at home. We needn't worry too much about a tourist trap in a touristy spot--we need to worry about our " public servants " at home.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM
Beginner

Are there Three honest Cop's in mexico that havent been killed yet.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce95
This is nothing new. If we have corruption here in the States why is it such a suprise to find it any where else. Just be careful and use common sense when traveling.
Same thing happened to my mom driving through Texas. They stopped her for speeding, saw the California plates, and refused to let her leave until they got all her cash. She hates Texas because of this experience. Texas people don't get mad at me. I have nothing aganist Texas I wasn't in the car, my crazysis was. My mom had to drive from Texas to California with no money and no credit cards (she didn't have any credit cards at the time).

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well, to be somewhat fair to Texas the same thing happened to me, but I was speeding, somewhere around Midland. They insisted on me driving directly to the judge where I has heard and fined on the spot (this was back in 1980).

The judge said my fine was $100. I said I didn't have that much cash. He said "how much do you have?"

Back in those days we didnt have ATMs on every corner. I said I had about $60 and would need some of it for gas to get to Dallas. We did the calculations and he took all the cash he could get from me.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Heck--I bet there was corruption in Mayberry when Andy was sheriff if we just knew about it !!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Admiral

But, we are much more of a potential target in Mexico, or any less prosperous country. They see us as wealthy, which we are compared to most of them, and they will try all kinds of things to get some of our $. Cabo used to target jaywalkers!
Marty
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:52 PM
First Mate

Being Canadian, we are used to the NY State cops sitting near the border for "easy money" because they know that most Canadians won't easily be able to contest the tickets and NY state has a reciprocal agreement with Quebec for collecting the tickets. They target Quebec and Vermont plates.

The same is true in Florida where people have Quebec plates. The absolute worst place was this little strip between Hallandale and North Miami Beach called Golden Beach. They have a seriously silly speed limit and a big speed trap. They also didn't build sidewalks, so you can't walk through town. Legally in Florida all beaches are public, so how do you get there if there is no sidewalk and no parking?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
First Mate

Default corrupt

We sailed out of NEWY York a few years ago and the porters on the pier demanded $10. a bag or "you man never see your bags again." we reported this to the "BOSS'"HE SAID **** happens, and what do you want me to do. We will never go out of NY again even if it is FREE
boB
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
First Mate

Default Re: corrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam
We sailed out of NEWY York a few years ago and the porters on the pier demanded $10. a bag or "you man never see your bags again." we reported this to the "BOSS'"HE SAID **** happens, and what do you want me to do. We will never go out of NY again even if it is FREE
boB
This is where you pick up your mobile phone, make like you are taking his picture and ask if he would like to repeat it for all of youtube to see tonight on the web, if I should just email it to the NYPD so the can deal with the extortion or to the IRS for all the undeclared income.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
First Mate

I've heard similar stories from friends that lived in Mexico - scary.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Doesn't sound good for New York or Cozumel, does it?

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
But, we are much more of a potential target in Mexico, or any less prosperous country. They see us as wealthy, which we are compared to most of them, and they will try all kinds of things to get some of our $. Cabo used to target jaywalkers!
Marty
There's that American arrogance that gets us into sooooooo much trouble around the world. There is corruption in all forms of government in all countries including the good old USA. When traveling just use common sense and try to stay out of trouble. Of course sometimes trouble finds you no matter what you do.

I would never miss visiting a country because of what I've heard second hand or judge a whole country by one incident. To each his own.
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Admiral

oh boy!!

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Admiral

I have never avoided a country because of potential problems. But, I also don't walk through bad neighborhoods in the US at night either. I really don't think it is arrogant to be realistic about not being a crime target. If you don't know that we are "rich" by the standards of most 3rd world countries, then you haven't explored them very much. I do NOT comsider myself rich by US standards, but cruising has taught me a lot about the world, including the fact that most people in the ports we visit could never afford to even take a cruise.
Marty
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

this is true!
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Familiar Face

FYI Most of the population in the ports you sail out of can't afford to cruise!
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman
Doesn't sound good for New York or Cozumel, does it?
That is odd that you forgot Texas. My mom and crazysis drove to Florida from California and back. Both ways they got "stopped" and made to pay the ticket before leaving Texas. On the way back to California Texas police took all their money so they couldn't eat anything until they got back to California. They called me collect to ask me to make a big pot of spaghetti because they were so hungry. When driving from Florida to California it's hard to avoid Texas it's kind of big.

BTW this happened around 1986 so things could have changed in 23 years. Has it been that long?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Beginner

ok let me defend Texas law enforcement........ok back in the day there were no agreements between Texas, and California nor many other states in the union to collect traffic fines from non citizens of Texas, therefore you would have to pay the fine at that time or go to the nearest magistrate to pay the fine before leaving Texas. This procedure was mostly practiced by State Troopers, or small town police rather than larger Municipal police departments. This practice has been eliminated since there is now a written agreement among states.