Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Default does cruising change your personality ?

Are you the same person when cruising that you are when not on vacation.?
On cruises the vast majority are social butterflies, kind, funny, witty, outgoing, and optimistic. Do you change once you get home ?
sad to say, i often have problems being as gregarious & confident once the cruise high wears off. At home I tend to be more introverted, but about day 2 of a cruise I metaphorize into an extrovert.
Not only do I enjoy the people I meet on these "Fun Ships" I like the person I become as well. Someday I wish to run away from the "real world" and live in this world of instant friends.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

It does change my husbands... he is so much more social on a cruise than at home..
Legend 2006
Spirit 2006 & 2007 & 2009
Conquest 2007 & 2009
Pride 2008
Dream 2010
Norwegian Dawn 2011
Magic 2012
Princess Grand 2013
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Admiral

I am a social butterfly regardless. Aside from it being my nature(I was born under the sign of Leo), my other career as an actor requires that I be social. So it is a benefit. I will probably be more of an addict at sea(though this isn't tested yet). Cruising, the most powerful drug ever invented.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

I totally agree with you Brad....cruising is an addiction. I just came back from one-have one booked for Dec. 09 and have decided I can't wait that long and I am now looking to book one sometime in the fall/late summer. Almost everytime I get online I have to check for any specials/deals!
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Admiral

I am still planning my first one and am already addicted.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Not really,but we do make names up for ourself. This next trip I'm Carmela Latte.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
First Mate

What an interesting topic! I find I am the opposite - very confident at home - work, but more reserved and quiet when cruising. Although I never really thought about it much until I read this, I guess I'm just more cautious and less confident when traveling than I am at home.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

My answer to that question is HECK YA!!!! I cruise solo, so I got to jump out of my box. I HAD a good job that, at the end of the day, I felt fulfilled and didn't mind going back the next day. That stopped last year when I started to be micromanaged and every little thing I did is scrutinized, even though the scrutineer wouldn't know a damn thing cuz they have no clue about what I do and who I do it for.

I start getting happy the day before I leave, which I usually take off to get everything ready so I do not have to scramble the night before or a few hours before I leave. I get happier the day of depatures and by the time I arrive in Florida and get to the hotel my exitement can't be contained. I am positively giddy when I get on the ship through to the debarkation day and it is time to come home. I start going down when I have to fly home, usually because I bought so much it is a pain to have to haul my overloaded suitcases though the airport at customs. I start to crash when I have to go back to work, which could be two days after I get home or a week after I get home....

Sadly, when I get back to work it's back to being annoyed, depressed, peeved off, and downright miserable again because being micromanaged isn't fun.....I try to be happy and positive, but that fizzles away fast...

Now, if I had the right numbers to play for the lottery and won. Thus, I'd be free to do what I want and go where I wanted when I wanted. In that scenario, I'd be positively giddy all the time...I'd be on a cruise ship within two weeks for a back to back cruise to paradise!

So, does anyone know a good psychic who is good at picking the lottery numbers...I only need six numbers between 1 and 49........

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Admiral

I suppose you must be a fan of caramel lattes then, Aerogirl.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am an extrovert at home and onboard...Being in retail for so many years, I eagerly engage in conversation, my husband says I can talk to a wall and get an answer.

I once asked the question in another forum if you dress differently when you cruise, and I found that many people do that as well..I guess for many, the cruise brings out another personality...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Admiral

I think I will have to dress down for the cruise.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
I am a social butterfly regardless. Aside from it being my nature(I was born under the sign of Leo), my other career as an actor requires that I be social. So it is a benefit. I will probably be more of an addict at sea(though this isn't tested yet). Cruising, the most powerful drug ever invented.
Oh yeah, I'm addicted as well. Nothing wrong with land based vacations, but these "Fun Ships" are special.

/ticker.png">
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
My answer to that question is HECK YA!!!! I cruise solo, so I got to jump out of my box. I HAD a good job that, at the end of the day, I felt fulfilled and didn't mind going back the next day. That stopped last year when I started to be micromanaged and every little thing I did is scrutinized, even though the scrutineer wouldn't know a damn thing cuz they have no clue about what I do and who I do it for.

I start getting happy the day before I leave, which I usually take off to get everything ready so I do not have to scramble the night before or a few hours before I leave. I get happier the day of depatures and by the time I arrive in Florida and get to the hotel my exitement can't be contained. I am positively giddy when I get on the ship through to the debarkation day and it is time to come home. I start going down when I have to fly home, usually because I bought so much it is a pain to have to haul my overloaded suitcases though the airport at customs. I start to crash when I have to go back to work, which could be two days after I get home or a week after I get home....

Sadly, when I get back to work it's back to being annoyed, depressed, peeved off, and downright miserable again because being micromanaged isn't fun.....I try to be happy and positive, but that fizzles away fast...

Now, if I had the right numbers to play for the lottery and won. Thus, I'd be free to do what I want and go where I wanted when I wanted. In that scenario, I'd be positively giddy all the time...I'd be on a cruise ship within two weeks for a back to back cruise to paradise!

So, does anyone know a good psychic who is good at picking the lottery numbers...I only need six numbers between 1 and 49........
Co-workers ! I know what you mean and can empathize. There are those in my job who are sour lemons who can only talk shop.They have no life, no interest, little personality..... I try to tell them book a cruise and CHILL OUT.
When you find that psychic, let me in on the racket, and we will disappear on a around the world vacation.

/ticker.png">
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Land vacations are fine, but I am running out of places to visit in the United States. I am very much a Gypsy(both by blood and by my nomadic nature).
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Admiral

My DW is quite the introvert, but she strives to put herself out there when we are at sea. I'm not a very good conversation starter, but pick a topic and we'll chat

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Usually in the pool at an AI land based vacation, I have no trouble starting conversations with people. Of course, a little alcohol is involved.

I'm thinking I'm going to have be more open without the booze since we'll be sitting at dinners with complete strangers.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:32 PM
First Mate

My DW says I will talk to a fence post... and it may try and run!
I'm self-employed and spend a good bit of time at home in front of the computer, so when we do go out I am itching to talk/etc... We always end up with new friends on cruises and ports.
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

I know Im much more relaxed when Im at sea, at home the stress of everyday life sometimes gets to me. I am always an outgoing person so in tha aspect nothing really changes. My wife is always on me about talking to people but thats just me.

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Admiral

I always have a GREAT time on any cruise, and am extroverted there, or here, or anywhere I go. On a cruise, I'm even more open, and talk to almost anyone who'll listen to me. I have absolutely no problem at all getting on the big stage in front of 1500 of my fellow passengers, and singing. It's GREAT fun, and I always encourage others to join me. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) on the other hand, is somewhat quiet, and shy,,,,,until she's into the Chardonnay, and then she also opens up. We have a wonderful time aboard ship.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Admiral

Buckybruce, I am quite the opposite, a very social butterfly(the monarch of course with my being born under the sign of Leo), with introverted tendencies when I get nervous(usually when I am into a woman and cannot figure out how to approach her). No alcohol needed for me, though it definitely makes me alot more interesting. Especially when I am doing shots of rum(It's an acquired taste, mon.). I am the type of person who has a dramatic entrance just by walking into the room. I am the guy who has all eyes on him. Huge level of presence. Here in the south we are taught to be hospitable to everyone too. Unfortunately, in these small towns most people gossip about them behind their back(I find disdain in this however). All you have to do is to remember everyone is on the cruise to have a good time and nobody will judge you.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Captain

im 1,000x's more social than my husband and he just doesnt get it. I can talk to a stranger for an hour about a can of peaches at the grocery store, and its no different on a cruise ship. I met lots of people at the poker tables on Conquest in Jan, and even tho my hubby isnt the jealous type usually....he did get a little bristley at all the friends i made of the male persuasion

Its just me tho, when ya spend 6 hours a day at a table you talk to people...he is so type B and i'm so type A
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Admiral

I am type AAA apparently. I will talk to anyone, anywhere, with know reason, no matter how anti-social they are. I do think sometimes our work influences who we become as people. Some of us(like myself and Nurseypoo apparently) have jobs where you have to be social. Then there are those of us who work in jobs that are more solitary(think an accountant sitting in a cubicle that doesn't work around people often).
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Admiral

My "personality" is the same no matter what the situation; at home or away. I'm sort of introverted unless I happen to really click in a real way with another person. I'm an introspective person who loves her solitude. I either make deep connections or no connection at all. However on my first cruise in 07 with my son I was happy, happy happy, probably just to be travelling, which I have rarely done during my life and so happy to finally be on a big cruise ship, which was a life-long dream. So for my 2nd cruise in March 2010, I will still have the same personality but be even happier than the other cruise as this one will be solo.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
I am the type of person who has a dramatic entrance just by walking into the room. I am the guy who has all eyes on him. Huge level of presence.
lol
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Synderrela

Well, I can't wait to find out what my cruise "personality" will be!!!!

Old May 5th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Admiral

My personality doesn't change one bit. I'm a very social person and throw myself into activities and dance the night away in the disco. Per my job, I have to be more reserved in the professional environment. So on the ship, I can just be me.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Bobsfamily, I have just always had a natural charisma. I remember people wanting to be around me all of my life.
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Admiral

I spent 25 years working for big corporations. Had to be conservative at work. So, on cruises....look out. My wardrobe changed and the real me came out to play.
Now that I can't work, I can be me around the clock. I miss many aspects of my career, but not the conformity. But, I have to say that cruises probably opened me up even more than I would have been. On a ship full of people whom you will likely never see again, it is a liberating atmosphere. Plus, since everyone is on vacation, there is a more open atmosphere. Hubby became more of a conversationalist than he was, too. Now, if I could just get him to stop talking after the cruise....
Marty
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Admiral

In the "real world" I do tend to be introverted, so when I cruise give another personality a test run. My job is benifical towards those shut and work....as in staying focused.
On dress I tend to wear T-shites and cargo shorts, so on a cruise I tend to be a coat & tie sort of guy.

/ticker.png">
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:24 PM
First Mate

Oh yeah I change. But the main thing that changes is the fact that I will drink on a cruise. Sad to say that is the only time that I drink. The cruise lines make it so easy. On land I am so worried about getting a DUI that I just don't drink. No chance of a DUI on the ship.

Fascination 01/02
Imagination 07/02
Glory 07/04
Glory 12/04
Valor 12/05
Miracle 08/06
Fascination 10/06
Triumph 06/07
Inspiration 11/07
Destiny 08/08 (VIP Status)