CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Solo Cruising...HOW IS IT? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/364073-solo-cruising-how.html)

brendaintexas May 3rd, 2009 06:00 PM

Solo Cruising...HOW IS IT?

If any of you have ever travelled Carnival Cruiselines solo, tell me, what was it like?

Gail4cruising May 3rd, 2009 07:08 PM

I cruised last year year solo on the Fantasy. Did not have a problem with it at all. In a way it was nice being on "my time". There are always so much to do and frequently can get into conversations with others also. I will most likely cruise alone again this fall. Only problem is you will pay 150% at least-depending on what type cabin you want. I took one of the 1A's and it was no big deal. Good luck!

brad813 May 3rd, 2009 07:13 PM

I am booked in a 1A on the October 26 sailing of the Imagination and I know there are plenty left, though I am still hoping to find someone to travel with me so I can upgrade to an Oceanview. I guess I will see what happens.

lhp May 3rd, 2009 07:19 PM

I have never been blessed with that opportunity. (always had a hubby and two kids along) But I think it truly depends on the individual.

I would LOVE IT!!

Karaoke and the piano bar are always great places to meet folks and chat. Carnival (from what I have read) is good about placing solo folks together at dinner.

I do get tickled....when we get on a ship....hubby does the shows and listens to the solo performers on the Promenade, I do karaoke or the piano bar, the boys do Camp Carnival and so "at night" it always seems like I am a solo cruiser.

One one cruise, hubby finally came into the piano bar on the last night to say he was headed to the cabin and did I need to pack anything else to put out the luggage. When he left, the folks I had been singing with all cruise asked who he was. I said that is my husband. They all looked shocked. They thought I was on the cruise alone.

Dr Plunger May 3rd, 2009 07:35 PM

My last 2 cruise were solo. Both times had fun. Got to meet and talk with all kinds of people. Yes there were other solo cruisers as well. Carnival was very good both times with dining, they set solo cruisers together at the table. We did hang out some, on deck and disco. There are some out there, crew included, that gave you odd looks when I told them I was alone. Told them it was by choice and I needed some "me" time. One thing I did notice, there wasn't any single meets, but it didn't bother me at the least.

It's great to sleep in, go on a certain tour, or just do what you want. And yes, I will be going solo again in November on the Carnival Freedom. But don't get the wrong idea about me cruising solo, I do like to go with others. I'm leaving May 30 with my kids on the Carnival Liberty. Can't wait, only 27 days!!!!!!!

misguidedangel May 3rd, 2009 07:53 PM

I have been home for a week from cruise #7 and FIVE of my seven cruises have been SOLO cruises! I choose to cruise solo becuase I am free to do what I want, when I want, and for however long I want. No one restricts me from going to bed early because they are tired and if I don't go with them they won't get to sleep (which leads to crankiness and crabiness the next day). I don't have to be a tour guide for anyone, I don't have to meet up with anyone for this or for that. I am free to go and do as I please.

I book balcony cabins, so for four of my five solo cruises I have paid 200%, but to me it is well worth the price. I have had cabins on Decks 6, 7, 8 (twice), 9, and 10. I prefer Deck 9 and 10 a close second. Something about being close to the action on Lido deck and Lido and Panorama cabins are just that...

I've cruised twice with my mother (and one time we took my niece) and I can safely say that it is BORING to go with my mom as she wants to crash at 10pm when I usually am good for another two hours!!! I missed the BIGGEST party on the Conquest for Mardi Gras last year (ON the actual day of the BIG Mardi Gras party and not just the night they have the deck party). I was fresh and ready to go til midnight, nope, mom won't get to sleep if I wasn't in the room....Uhm, ya, she would have cuz within seconds of hitting the pillow she was asleep and snoring constantly until the next morning...

Please, go solo to discover how much fun it can be!!!

Michelle1959 May 3rd, 2009 08:56 PM

I have only cruised one so far, in 2007 with my then 14 year old son, who only wanted to ahang out in the cabin watching movies or in the video arcade. We never even made it to the dining room for any meals - room service or Lido deck or pizza. Neve rmade it to any of the shows, disco, etc. We still had a great time of course, enjoyed the excursions and I have to say, it was great to spend all that time with my son on a ship.

But, as you can imagine, I've been desparately anxious to go solo and have the complete cruise experience. I'm finally going in March 2010 on Imagination. I can't wait and thanks everyone for your comments.

brad813 May 3rd, 2009 09:08 PM

I personally am fine to cruise solo(most people can't keep up with my energy anyway), but some day I would like to book the best suite on the ship going solo. Now there is a real cruiser status symbol, especially on the luxury lines. I can just imagine how people would look at you if you told them you had the best suite then said you were traveling alone. Jaws would drop I tell you, jaws would drop.

Thoth May 3rd, 2009 11:08 PM

I've cruised solo 9 times. It helps to be a social butterfly of sorts. I play all the games that I can. Very little time is spent in the stateroom.
That way I never get this lonely in a crowd feeling.

rfb99 May 4th, 2009 01:16 PM

I have cruised Carnival every year since the days of the Carnivale and each time was solo. You meet so many new people and you just have to want to get involved.
The only bad part is paying extra fees.

IBCRUZIN' May 4th, 2009 08:25 PM

I am a solo cruiser!!!! For me, it is the best of all possible options.

I have cruised with a singles group, with a husband, with girlfriends, with my adult son and solo. Hands down solo beats all of the aforementioned
groupings.

I do a lot of my social activities on land solo. It is my preference. I recently went to a mega outlet mall. I went alone buy my girlfriend invited herself and met me at this outlet mall. She drove me crazy b/c she couldn't do anything alone. I had to wait for her, could not go to a store without her "because she wanted to go in there too." It just reminded me why I am a solo adventurer.

I don't like to wait around for people. I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it. I like having a cabin to myself. I am a very personable individual. Therefore, long before the muster drill I have people inviting me to join their table on the Lido or at dinner.

I have cruised RCCL, NCL and Carnival as a solo. Carnival is the most solo-friendly of the major lines. RCCL makes no attempt to group solos together for dinner. On both of my recent (2008) solo cruises on RCCL, I was tabled with married couples for dinner. Most of RCCL activities are singular in nature so the chance for comraderie is minimal. Their pool deck layout is not conductive to see, be seen or talk to other people and groups.

Because NCL is anytime dining only, it is also not very solo-friendly. However, I found it easier to meet and talk to people on NCL than on RCCL.

On RCCL I felt alone. On Carnival I never feel alone. In fact, more often than not, a solo with a little personality becomes a bit of a celebrity on the ship because everyone (crew included) wants to make sure you are o.k., have everything you need and are not lonely.

My concession to being able to do my own thing is that, for financial reasons, I book Cat 1A's. I don't need a window, I am never in my cabin, except to sleep, shower and change clothes.

I leave in less than 3 weeks on another solo cruise on the Freedom.

If you are the type that can enjoy your own company on land in your everyday life without having to have someone around you, then you will love solo cruising. If you need someone in order to dine out or go to the movies, then you may not like solo cruising.

misguidedangel May 4th, 2009 08:47 PM

BRAD--hmm, well, I am sort of doing what you want to do. I have a Cat 11 Spa suite booked for the Splendor in September!!! The cost to go solo for that cruise was around $3400 US and close to $4000 Canadian. I WILLINGLY paid the price to have the best cabin, IMHO, on that ship. Cat 12's might be bigger, big Cat 12's DON'T have the spa perks a Cat 11 Spa suite has, that and I am on Deck 10 not 7!!!

Thoth May 4th, 2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
I have cruised RCCL, NCL and Carnival as a solo. Carnival is the most solo-friendly of the major lines. RCCL makes no attempt to group solos together for dinner. On both of my recent (2008) solo cruises on RCCL, I was tabled with married couples for dinner. Most of RCCL activities are singular in nature so the chance for comraderie is minimal. Their pool deck layout is not conductive to see, be seen or talk to other people and groups.

Because NCL is anytime dining only, it is also not very solo-friendly. However, I found it easier to meet and talk to people on NCL than on RCCL.

On RCCL I felt alone. On Carnival I never feel alone. In fact, more often than not, a solo with a little personality becomes a bit of a celebrity on the ship because everyone (crew included) wants to make sure you are o.k., have everything you need and are not lonely.

another issue is pricing ! RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity all wish to hit me for 200% rate. No thanks !
You are correct, Carnival does adknowledge it's single/ solo patrons.

brad813 May 5th, 2009 03:01 AM

IBCRUZIN', I know how you feel. I'm the type who has to be going at turbo speed doing something all the time. In the immortal words of Men At Work, "Nobody gonna slow me down. Oh No. I got ta keep on movin.". How would the crew and fellow passengers treat a solo cruiser with alot of personality(ie. life of the party types)?

Misguidedangel, you need to realize one key thing about me when it comes to booking the best. I am the type that would pay $50,000/night for a penthouse suite and an additional $10,000 just to bathe in Cristal, if I had the money of course. For my way of thinking, luxury is the rule and not the exception. Now to just get my financial resources up to the point of my mindset.

IBCRUZIN' May 5th, 2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad813
How would the crew and fellow passengers treat a solo cruiser with alot of personality(ie. life of the party types)?

I am a "life of the party type" and feel quite pampered on my Carnival cruises. People naturally look out for the lone wolf. It is the nuturing nature of humans.

If you are a solidary sole, most people probably will not notice that you are alone and will leave you to your solitude, which is probably what you want.

All in all, as long as you are comfortable sitting alone for a few minutes (or longer), walking into a shop, theater, restaurant, etc. alone, there is no reason not to enjoy a solo cruise.

Land vacations are a whole other story. I don't do land vacations b/c I find them to be too solitary for my personality. If you book a resort solo, unless you meet a love interest ( :-? ), you are truly alone. Wondering the streets of a foreign city would be wonderful but just a bit dangerous. You don't have the containment of a cruiseship where you would be missed within hours.

IMHO, cruising is the best way for a solo person to vacation.

brad813 May 5th, 2009 01:30 PM

On the other hand, going to a resort isn't a bad way for someone who wanted to get away from everyone to vacation either. I plan to explore both styles, but then I have to be able to sell it, so it makes sense.

colorcrazie May 5th, 2009 02:53 PM

I have done many cruises solo. Started when I was single, but even now, if hubby can't go and a deal comes up, I'm booked. I actually enjoy it. Pure self-indulgence. I am lucky to have a husband whom I love traveling with, but a week of pure spontaneity is also very refreshing. WHen solo, I always go to the maitre d' as soon as I board and ask to be seated with other solo passengers. And, I have found that morning coffee on deck offers lots of opportunities to meet people. The more crowded it is, the more acceptable it is to just go up to a table and ask if I can join them. Same is true in almost any bar, 'tho I am a very light drinker. Ships are very friendly, as a rule.
I just would not apply ANY of the above if I ended up on a swingers cruise!
Marty

Thoth May 5th, 2009 06:47 PM

[quote="IBCRUZIN'
IMHO, cruising is the best way for a solo person to vacation.[/quote]
So true that I can't find anything else as a substitution. On land based trips there's just me.
On a cruise I never have to say...."table for one please",.

misguidedangel May 6th, 2009 08:36 PM

Brad-oh my, you think te same way I do. My ideal home is a house that is in the size range of 7000-10 000 square feet with a indoor pool/hot tub/sauna. Sadly, the harsh reality is I have a 1021 square foot condo. I have to live in the real world and make do with what my meager income can afford, this a balcony cabin most of the times I cruise. Financially, as a single, I make ends meet with some left over for savings.

I like to think I am a rich person stuck in a poor persons body.....

brad813 May 6th, 2009 08:54 PM

Well, I intend to build a huge mansion once I get my big break. One of the advantages to the entertainment industry is the sky literally is the limit.

jeafoxb May 12th, 2009 11:19 AM

Travelling solo

Hi,
I travelled solo last year on a 4 day cruise to Canada with Carnival. I asked for a large table at dinner and I was seated with ladies who travelled alone also. It was a nice mix of people sane, strange, & a little nutty. Conversation was good to debating who was going to be President. couple of the ladies went ashore together. I went to trivia & shows. I sometimes met up with one of ladies from dinner. I enjoyed the cruise. It was short & sweet.
I also went solo last year on NCL for 7 days. I found myself getting a little lonely for a travel partner the last days. The people were not as friendly on NCL. I still did the same trivia, shows, & relaxing. NCL had two parties for pass cruisers which was very nice. People were friendly there. Since NCL does not have assigned seating I think that made a difference in meeting people.
I will be travelling alone again on 5/16 on Carnival. Eight days this time! I have asked for a large table again for dinner. So I will see what happens. One thing I know I will still enjoy my cruise.....No other way to vacation.

Jea

brendaintexas May 13th, 2009 04:01 PM

Thanks so much for everything y'all have told me about cruising solo. I was really concerned at first, since this is my first cruise.....but now, I'm delighted and looking very much forward to it. It looks like going solo on Carnival will combine freedom with camaraderie....and I can't wait!