CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Anything out of the ordinary I should pack for my cruise? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/364188-anything-out-ordinary-i-should-pack-my-cruise.html)

AngelaJeff May 6th, 2009 03:32 AM

Anything out of the ordinary I should pack for my cruise?

There are 11 of us cruising in four state rooms on Imagination departing June 1st '09, and most of us, at least half, have cruised before. However, it's been four years since my last cruise and I'm planning my packing list. Historically, I've packed everything except the kitchen sink, and many items I didn't have a need for but had them just in case a situation arised (band aids, aloe vera, cold meds, etc! This time, however, we're trying to pack a little lighter due to the airline's new $15 first bag and $25 second bag of luggage policy.

Other than the usual -- dining / casual clothes and shoes, personal hygiene items, bathing suits 'n towels, and travel docs (or course), is there any item that you've brought along or mid-cruise wish you'd remember to bring?

Thanks for your input!

Angela

dina May 6th, 2009 08:35 AM

leave the towels at home and save the space. The ship provides the towels. I take a little travel clock with me so I can set an alarm for getting up on time for excursions.

ShotoJuku May 6th, 2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShotoJuku
1. Valid Passport

2. State issued PHOTO Drivers License / ID Card

3. Fun Pass

4. Credit Card for S&S account

5. Printed copy of your itinerary and PRE-PAID excursions

glenda55 May 6th, 2009 10:01 AM

An extra power strip. and a lot of patience. Enjoy your cruise.

green_rd May 6th, 2009 10:23 AM

An emu would be unusual! Was that the question?

If you have a balcony some folks use a bungee cord to pull open the door, though I think CCL frowns on it.

Have fun.

brad813 May 6th, 2009 12:21 PM

Pack your sense of humor.

briguy May 6th, 2009 01:46 PM

Pack a larger than normal pair of pants to wear home. You're gonna need it!

brad813 May 6th, 2009 02:03 PM

Oh yeah, pack your best friend who happens to be a millionaire so they can pay for everything(or is that just me who has a best friend like that).

darmstader May 6th, 2009 05:04 PM

Pack your birth control!

T C May 6th, 2009 10:44 PM

Tylenol and DARK sunglasses 8) 8)
TC

joeyanddavid May 7th, 2009 04:10 PM

we take 99 cent flip flops for the pool shower area after the cruise we just toss them in the can

patio daddy-o May 7th, 2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd
An emu would be unusual! Was that the question?

If you have a balcony some folks use a bungee cord to pull open the door, though I think CCL frowns on it.

Have fun.

You're probably correct... I always use the little rubber wedgie thing they use on the cabin entrance door.
Open the balcony and wedgie it between the door and door frame... works great!

Matelot May 7th, 2009 09:21 PM

I take a 'Sea Safe' - I bought mine from another Cruise site, but basically it's a plastic case on a Lanyard, you hang around your neck - that you can keep your driving license, Seapass, Visa card with you when you're in the sea, or pool somewhere.
That way if your stuff were to get lost/stolen you'd still have the essentials...

You can buy them on board ships! :D

cruisecouple May 9th, 2009 12:36 AM

I'm a newbie however this will be my 7th cruise since May 2006 so here are my "don't leave home without them":

1. An over the door shoe rack. With girls sharing cabins, this has kept our cabin incredibly organized.

2. From Target: They have a travel clothesline - this proved invaluable with three of us on Liberty in one cabin last spring - swimsuits, workout wear etc. Buy some extra clips. You might even find a use for this at home.

3. Don't forget your chargers for your phone, camera, etc. camera charger, transfer cords, etc. I believe you can use the cords to transfer your pictures to have them put a disc while on the ship.

4. Notify your credit card companies that you're going outside the US and your bank too.

5. I just heard this one from a coworker cruising the same time I am: use a large multi compartment pill box for your earrings, etc.

6. Don't forget there is drawer space under almost all of the couches/sofa beds in the cabin but don't forget to check there when you leave.

7. Put your name and address on everything and your cabin #! Camera, camera case, etc.

8. Don't forget to have a good time, don't worry what everyone else is doing. Take time for yourself if necessary.

9. An address list for postcards if you're the postcard type!

10. I don't know if you use dramamine etc. but I love the pulsing seasick watch type thing that you can get from drugstore.com.

11, Ziplock bags -- get a sandwich the night before if you know you're going to be on an excursion that makes you very hungry such as three reef snorkeling, etc.

colorcrazie May 9th, 2009 01:40 PM

Great idea for the earrings. Never thought of that one. Thanks.
I put my name and phone number on everything...not my address. Having worked for an airline, I know that there are thieves who specialize in getting addresses of people on vacation. They know the odds are good that your house will be empty.
Man, I seem to be on an anti-theft kick today. Time to cheer up!
Marty

punk May 11th, 2009 02:46 PM

Hopefully that's a cell phone number you put on things, as it's fairly easy to find someones address using their home phone number...

The bungee cord on the balcony door - never again! Thought it was a great idea until at one point it slipped off and shot over to our neighbors balcony. LUCKILY they werent on the balcony, we could have caused serious injury. I like the idea of the rubber thingie stuck in between the door better.

We always take a small power strip with night light on it, and also a highlighter pen comes in handy for marking things you dont wanna miss out on in the Carnival Caper!!

Nothin but blue skies May 12th, 2009 01:37 PM

I charge up my cell phone and use it as an alarm clock. However, don't turn it on unless you have set up an international calling plan with your carrier. Voice mails received can be charged at the full $2.49 per minute rate! I turn it on and set the alarm just before I go to bed.

I don't use a bungie cord - too dangerous. I use a 10" x 1" round dowel rod to wedge into the area between the door hinges and it works perfectly and takes up almost no space.

I keep a small suitcase of travel things at home with the dowel rod, multi-plugs, handwipe singles, etc and just grab what I need when I am ready to pack for a cruise.

llb May 13th, 2009 10:20 AM

Thankfully, Southwest hasn't started charging for bags yet! I always try to book with them; it's waaaaayy cheaper.

Anyway, if you plan to bring wine/champagne on board (you are each allowed one bottle in your carry on boarding the ship) then don't forget the wine opener.

Also, I packed ear plugs because my boyfriend hates the constant morning announcements. Seemed to work for him. I'm always up early and couldn't care less about the announcements.

Lastly, my iPod with speakers (Walgreens sells them for $10). When we're in our room getting ready for dinner, or hangin late at night, we always have the music on!

Enjoy your cruise!

brad813 May 13th, 2009 10:53 AM

Does Carnival have the iPod alarm clocks in the room?