Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Passenger

Default Mosquitoes?

This is probably a really dumb question.....but I live 5 minutes from the Texas Gulf, and our mosquitoes are very aggressive. I don't go anywhere without spraying myself with Off! If you have ever been bitten by a mosquito on a cruise, please tell me, so I can pack my Off!
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Admiral

If you are going to a tropical climate, pack it. I am myself extremely allergic to mosquito poison.
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Brenda,
I take sealed packets of insect repellant. Hard to know before you get off the ship whether you will need it or not. I rarely do (and I live in Florida, where the bugs can carry you off ) in most ports, since ocean breezes tend to push them inland (my theory, anyway). But, on some tours, especially into true jungle, they can be vicious. So, I wip out a towelette and am good to go. A lot lighter and less hassle than always spraying before getting off the ship or carrying a can around.
Marty
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM
First Mate

I have only encountered mosquitoes during a tour of the Mayan ruins at Tulum. I would guess that many of the mainland tours that enter the jungle would be the same.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sprayed when we went into the jungle for the zipline tour. Boy, it sure messes with your nail polish.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by badknees
We sprayed when we went into the jungle for the zipline tour. Boy, it sure messes with your nail polish.
Imagine spraying every time you walk out the door on the Texas Gulf Coast. When I'm wearing sandals, the nail polish gumps together with dirt when I'm feeding my Labs and they jump around!
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The only time I had a problem with mosquitoes was at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. I've never had a problem with them on any tropical tour, even in the inland of Brasil.

Then again, I am from Minnesota where the mosquito concentration in mid-summer is higher than Southeast-Asia. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers report 1997.

If I only have to swat one every four or five minutes then it isn't a problem.

On the ship or in the port areas you will rarely encounter one of the little vampires. I would suggest taking a repellent with Deet if you are bite sensitive or worried about mosquitoes.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Take the repellent, in whichever form you think best. There's mosquitoes in the Caribbean and especially on the mainland of Mex. and Central America.
You can buy small cans of repellent that's really high in DEET at Walmart in the sporting goods section. I usually take it along and if I feel like I need it, I'll spray some on a paper towel , cloth, etc. and then rub the exposed areas.
Better safe than sorry.
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Passenger

What's the thing about Deet? Do regular cans of OFF! have it?

Mike, I had no idea anywhere except Alaska had more mosquitoes than the Gulf Coast!
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Off doesn't have it but Off Deep Woods does, but only in a 25% concentration. Very strong smelling though. You need at least a 30% concentration to really be effective in tropical areas. One product, MaxiDeet, has a 100% concentration, if you can find it it.
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to RockChickX51

Come to Florida!
::slap:: ::slap slap slap::
If the mosquitos don't get you, the palmetto bugs will.

Those San Gervasio ruins in Cozumel had mosquitos everywhere. They were in swams. Like gnats but mosquitos.

Carnival Liberty - May 2009
Carnival Inspiration - October 2008
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Never thought of mosquitos

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Admiral

Deet is short for some long drawn out word but the bottom line is the higher the deet, the better. I would be careful using something with 100% deet as some people have been known to have a reaction to it. 25-30-% will do a good job.
I was at Walmart today and saw some small spray "pens " of repellent that would be ideal for purse or bag and too, they had wipes that would be ideal. I would certainly take repellent in some form though.
Read on the container to see the content prior to buying a repellent.
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Captain

Deet is the absolute best product to keep mosquitoes away but one small piece of caution. Deet is also very toxic, if you buy it in a spray please exercise extra caution when applying to ensure that it does not get on any of the folks around you, especially children. I personally didn't think we needed the bug spray when we were in the carib. but then again, the mosquito is our provincial bird, so maybe that's why we weren't all that bothered.
Have a great time!
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChickX51
Come to Florida!
::slap:: ::slap slap slap::
If the mosquitos don't get you, the palmetto bugs will.

Those San Gervasio ruins in Cozumel had mosquitos everywhere. They were in swams. Like gnats but mosquitos.
Swarms of mosquitoes like gnats!!!! Arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! I'd rather be buried in a mound of fire ants. Wait a minute...no, not really. How can you stand it? Do you just stay inside?

Also, what are palmetto bugs?
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Deet is the only insect repellent that proved to repel mosquitoes and ticks.

The concentration of Deet directly correlates to the amount of time it is effective. A 5% concentration will last about 90 minutes. A 100% concentration will last 10 hours.

Another thing to remember is that if you put Deet on with sunscreen it will reduce the effectiveness of both products. It actually is wise to choose one or the other.

The CDC has also found that up to a 30% concentration of Deet is safe for children between 2 and 12 years of age.

There is a product from 3M called Ultrathon that is a long lasting insect repellent and maintains the Deet concentration for a longer period of time. It is a good alternative so you don't need to put on a higher concentration for it to last longer.

100% Deet products are overkill. A 25% - 30% is more than adequate for normal protection.

I have dealt with mosquitoes in primitive camping and outside my door for many years and hate the little buggers so I have looked for an effective repellent for years. Deet is the only one that makes a difference.

I love it when the "Avon Skin So Soft" and garlic tablet people get eaten up after a few minutes and are begging for Deet.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old May 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Palmetto bugs are actually large beetles that look like roaches. By large, I mean they can be an inch or so in length. Not dangerous, they don't bite or sting, but because they look like a roach, and they can fly, they tend to wierd people out. Luckily they only lay eggs in soil, so they are not like regular roaches that can proliferate inside your house.
Okay, you asked!
Marty
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:12 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
The only time I had a problem with mosquitoes was at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. I've never had a problem with them on any tropical tour, even in the inland of Brasil.

Then again, I am from Minnesota where the mosquito concentration in mid-summer is higher than Southeast-Asia. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers report 1997.

On the ship or in the port areas you will rarely encounter one of the little vampires. I would suggest taking a repellent with Deet if you are bite sensitive or worried about mosquitoes.

Take care,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I'm going on an Alaskan Cruise in Sept and I never even thought about bringing bug spray!!! What month did you go?
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M

Take care,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I'm going on an Alaskan Cruise in Sept and I never even thought about bringing bug spray!!! What month did you go?
The time that I had problems with mosquitoes was in mid-May.

It can be worse, in certain areas, later in the summer.

However, I have gone two other times in early September and never saw one of the little vampires.

Take care,
Mike

Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Little vampires? Where? I see no vampires.
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Palmetto bugs are actually large beetles that look like roaches. By large, I mean they can be an inch or so in length. Not dangerous, they don't bite or sting, but because they look like a roach, and they can fly, they tend to wierd people out. Luckily they only lay eggs in soil, so they are not like regular roaches that can proliferate inside your house.
Okay, you asked!
Marty
Marty, we have cockroaches like that here that come inside our houses. I really can understand the Lord's making almost everything, including spiders, which, after I looked at one under a friend's stereoscopic microscope, and saw how exquisitely he [she?] was made, I don't squash them any more.
But roaches? Every now and then I see a shadow out of the top of my eyes and look up to see one loitering in a corner of my ceiling, ready to let loose and fly right at me. I don't know anything more awful...but I know I'm safe when I'm outside. To have a palmetto bug fly at me from outside would be hard.
But really, how can you stand swarms of mosquitoes? Do they happen just in certain places and at certain times, or are they everywhere outside? If so, I'm afraid I'd have to move!
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Admiral

All I can say about roaches is if there is some higher being that created everything(which I am not inclined to believe given that I tend to follow a more scientific viewpoint, even with religion(finding that a deity is simply a manifestation of some part of ourselves)), such a being must have known we would most likely blow ourselves up with nuclear weapons and simply made sure there was something evolving that could withstand the radiation and take over the Earth.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Brenda,
We really don't get swarms of mosquitoes. They can be intense near twilight, but during the day, not so bad. But, we live a few blocks from the Gulf of Mexico and I think that the ocean breezes help keep them away. Plus, in our area, they spray for the biters. The one thing I have to watch are trays under plants on the porch. One critter can lay enough eggs to hatch out a swarm. But, a drop or two of any oil prevents them from emerging. I did an experiment once by adding bleach to water that had the larvae in it. Kept adding more until it was almost pure bleach and they just swan around like I had given them a cleaner swimming pool!
Tough little critters.
Spiders on the other hand I still swat. We get all kinds. The worst are the field wolf spiders. Look like anorexic, bald tarantulas and they not only bite (venomous), but they also jump. Ick.
Marty
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Passenger

Marty, jumping spiders...noooooooo...swat and scream and stomp away.

You know, if there were a solid, uneroded beach all the way around from the beach near your house to the beach near mine, you and I could each leave home and walk on the beach to meet each other....many sunburned days later.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Admiral

How about meeting up on a cruise instead? That would be one LONG walk!
Marty
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Passenger

On water!
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Brenda, Marty, I didn't know you two could walk on water. You must teach me how sometime.
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Passenger

Brad, sorry, I can't resist saying this.....I can't walk on water, and I'll bet Marty can't....but I know Someone who can....and it's not
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Well to each their own. I personally want to learn that. It would freak people out.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Nope, I sure can't either. I'm lucky to "know" someone who can. In fact, how will we cross the mouth of the Mississippi?
Marty
P.S. to Brad. It is so not about freaking people out.