Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Default Formal Night

Should I bring a suit or a tuxedo for formal night? I am attending a wedding a month earlier and was hoping to reuse my choice of attire from the wedding for the cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM
First Mate

It depends how formal you want to go. My husband usually wears a suit. Seems like lately most wear dress slacks and nice shirts. But it is always nice to see the ones that are a bit more dressed up verses just polos and khakis on formal nights.
Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Admiral

To me, polos/golf shirts and khakis are everyday wear and do not belong in a more formal setting. I almost am hesitant to even wear a suit on formal night, if it weren't for having low funds and only being able to afford one or the other(unless I luck up and find a buy one get one free sale that includes both).
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Admiral

Wear the suit. I've personally retired the tux, as only one in one hundred wear the tux for formal night anymore, but I still think, and many seem to agree with me, that at least a dark suit is appropriate.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Captain

We enjoy the formal nights on a cruise. Hubby has a tux (that he can still fit into), it is his chance to wear it. He found it on sale about 6 months before our daughters wedding. The cost was less than what it was going to cost him to rent one just for the wedding so he just bought i. He only gets to wear it about once a year so when we cruise it goes along for the formal nights. He does clean up well and looks so handsome. I'm sure it will go on our next cruise in Jan. even if he is the only one in a tux.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

No one should be hesitant to wear a suit on formal night, nor should they be hesitant to wear a tux..I say reuse it if you want...People wearing the jeans and shorts should be the hesitant ones Enjoy your dapper self

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
To me, polos/golf shirts and khakis are everyday wear and do not belong in a more formal setting. I almost am hesitant to even wear a suit on formal night, if it weren't for having low funds and only being able to afford one or the other(unless I luck up and find a buy one get one free sale that includes both).
To be correct Carnival has Elegant night not formal night. So the dress code is a little more relaxed. Having said that I will say my hubby owns a tux and wears it both Elegant nights with change of shirt and tie. Either a suit or a tux will work for Elegant night so wear what makes you feel comfortable. You will look great.

I do agree that polos,golf shirts, khakis, and jeans are not correct Elegant night wear. The dress code wasn't relaxed that much. Those things would work on Causal night.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Admiral

The reason i am hesitant about the suit is that I wear them fairly often as well. Nothing against people that it is out of the ordinary for but sometimes you just have to go that extra step to feel "elegant". If I wind up with a black suit this cruise, I will have a tux by the time of my second one, guaranteed.
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM
First Mate

To save space in luggage space and the hassle of a garment bag we rented tux"s from carnival. It cost $85 for the tux, black shoes, cumber bun, and 2 shirts, cuff links and dark buttons. We had the use of it for the week. 2 elegant nights and 1 dinner club night. You get measured at home and phone Carnival with the measurements at least a week before you cruise. The information on how to order is on the Carnival web site.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Admiral

I was planning to bring my garment bag anyway(I have a rolling garment bag), and I do not care much for renting a tux as they are never fitted. I like to have my suits and tuxes altered for that custom "fits like a glove" fit.