Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM
First Mate

I applaud all you posters for being fair and polite... unlike another site where this thread would have been yanked by now due to unkind statements... Once again showing that this site is full of reasonable people giving advice and opinions without degrading the OP or each other.
Thanks again...
PS - sorry about the cruise experience... maybe land based vacations are more to your liking.
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Beginner

We find that the more we Cruise, the less important certain Ports become. We were looking forward to the Roatan Islands as it seems that is about the only place (port) in the Caribbean we have not been to over the years. That notwithstanding, the newer Ships (Independence RCCL for example) seem to be a (the) Destination in and of themselves. We have never been on a more Magnificent Ship from a space, layout, and Amenities dept. It had an Ice Rink and we watched a wonderful Ice Show Performance.
In a nutshell, a Cruise is pretty much what you want it to be. I don't think there is a better Value in the Vacation industry. It is a Perfect Venue for Mini-Family reunions, Company functions, etc. ~ I wouldn't let a single bad experience deter you from giving it another try.

However through it all, the Cruise lines' number one responsibility is the Safety and Well-being of it's Passengers. They will be second guessed at times but overall do an Excellent job in that regard . . .

Remain Blessed, Sparx
Old May 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM
First Mate

Did you read the cruise contract before you cruised? I think it states the cruise line can change ports if the situation warrents it. I was on a RC cruise years ago and we had to cancel one port due to nasty weather. Disapointed, of course, but the captain had to decide what was best for the safety of all passengers.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Passenger

If you know a port has trouble frequently, why are there not back-up plans.
Any good BUSINESS person has a BACK-UP" plan. That's why we are rich!
Of course ...... thats the plan.. port closed, you spend your money on board!
Wow! Thats why the CEO's make such big bonuses!
Happy Sailing!
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Beginner

Default Guilty

Hello everyone! I'm a first time poster long time lurker. I am going on my first cruise in June and I was really glad to see the post by Denise. Though I consider myself an educated person I knew nothing of the civil unrest in Roatan. I have been researching my ports of call for excursions, restaurants, bars and fun but never thought to see if it was safe. I too entrusted Carnival with that responsibility. Lesson learned.

Fortunately, I am not too disappointed. I was actually getting worried that instead of relaxing on our vacation, my boyfriend and I would become exhausted from it all. I am still looking forward to our cruise and judging the comments from this site's members, I will soon be joining CA.

That's Cruisers Anonymous....

Hello, my name is Linda and I'm addicted to fun!!

I also wondered, what does the ship do that extra day at sea? Cruise around in a big circle or what?

Oh, and thanks for your all's invaluable advice. I would be lost without this site!

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

This Linda, says.....welcome... what took you so long, we've been waiting for you So glad Cruisemates has helped you along the way. I hope you come back, and share your cruise experiences with us all

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Hello Linda from Ky. from another Kentuckian ( Lex. area ) and long time cruiser.
Relax and enjoy your cruise. You'll not have any problems--just relax, go with the flow. Carnival won't dump you somewhere where it's unsafe.
Do as you would at home--use common sense and don't go off out of the way by yourself, etc.
Enjoy your cruise.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Admiral

I took a Transatlantic cruise with 5 seas days. They were wonderful. The activites planned on those days included, cooking demo, towel animal demo, trivia, Karaoke, bingo, Newlywed and not so Newlywed game (so much fun to watch), country line dancing lessons, ice carving demo etc.
One note: Friends of Bill W is an AA meeting, and Friends of Dorothy is a gay and lesiban meeting. I would hate for you to go to one of these meetings without knowing this.
Here are a couple of Caper pictures I found.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDaydream
Hello everyone! I'm a first time poster long time lurker. I am going on my first cruise in June and I was really glad to see the post by Denise. Though I consider myself an educated person I knew nothing of the civil unrest in Roatan. I have been researching my ports of call for excursions, restaurants, bars and fun but never thought to see if it was safe. I too entrusted Carnival with that responsibility. Lesson learned.

Fortunately, I am not too disappointed. I was actually getting worried that instead of relaxing on our vacation, my boyfriend and I would become exhausted from it all. I am still looking forward to our cruise and judging the comments from this site's members, I will soon be joining CA.

That's Cruisers Anonymous....

Hello, my name is Linda and I'm addicted to fun!!

I also wondered, what does the ship do that extra day at sea? Cruise around in a big circle or what?

Oh, and thanks for your all's invaluable advice. I would be lost without this site!

Welcome !
As for "civil unrest" or other issues in counties visited, you should be safe on Carnival's shore excursions. Go ahead and make your plans as long as you will be within the group. Many ports aren't as safe on one's own.
On an extra day at sea I'm not sure what route the captain takes but the cruise director will schedule plenty to do.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Beginner

Hi Linda,
You'll have a great time . . . Although they start naming the winds in the Caribbean sometime in June . . . Don't worry though, they have it down pat. 8)
As for what happens if they miss a Port. If they know ahead of time they will try to schedule into something along the way. If not, they basically slow down to about 8 knots (from about 18 to 20) and just head for the next Port . . .

Be Blessed, Sparx
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Captain

oh lord, i havent read a single response to this post, but i can already tell where its gonna go.

Let me see if i get this right.....

Read the fine print. It happens, and carnival is watching out for your saftey. Most of us would be happy with 5 days at sea over 5 days at work. I'm sure you ate and enjoyed the ocean worth what you paid. (cruises are for the most part cheap when you include all that food and stuff)

Most of us hardly ever have issues that make us so angry with even contimplate never cruising again. Perhaps cruising just isnt for you anyway. Its disappointing, but its life. Just like if you get your flight canceled..they will give you a refund or fly you later and maybe bump you to first class, but they wont pay for your missed hotel expenses.

travel insurance is a must too.
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAND45
I just returned from my first cruise. We had to skip Cozumel, but we still had a blast. The stops at ports are just a sampling of any given location anyway. Cruising is first and foremost about cruising and enjoying the amenities on the ship. I would say if you are not the sort that would enjoy just relaxing and being catered to for a week while viewing gorgeous sunrises and sunsets and the sights and sounds of the open ocean, then cruising is probably not your thing. You should just pick a location and fly there.
true...so true.

/ticker.png">
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Passenger

To be honest, Carnival or any other cruise line would have preferred to dock. It is much cheaper for them to have the ship sit in port 8 hours instead of burnin fuel for 8 hours sailing.

It actually is more expensive for Carnival or any other cruise line to sail for those 8 hours then it is to sit idle in a port.
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Passenger

To be honest, Carnival or any other cruise line would have preferred to dock. It is much cheaper for them to have the ship sit in port 8 hours instead of burnin fuel for 8 hours sailing.

It actually is more expensive for Carnival or any other cruise line to sail for those 8 hours then it is to sit idle in a port.
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Passenger