Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Beginner

Default Recent Situation on a Carnival Cruise

CAUTION ON CARNIVAL CRUISES
Wanted to make everyone aware of a recent situation. I just returned from a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Legend. It sailed May 3 from Tampa Florida. We knew going out that we would not dock at Cozumel due to the swine flu scare. This being my first cruise my husband and I decided NOT to accept their offer to cancel with credit, but to cruise anyway to the other three ports.

Unfortunately we were also not allowed to doc at Isla Roatan due to civil unrest in Honduras and the country could not guarantee our safety.

Although I understand and appreciate the decision to keep people safe, I was very disappointed that Carnival Management decided not to give the customers any recompense on their trip - it was as if we did not matter. Though they did refund the price of each person's docking fee ($20 per) and any shore excursion costs, (both of which we had paid for anyway) there was no really sincere effort to make any restitution for the costs we paid to see four ports and not have five days at sea. I never once was made to fill as if anyone from Carnival gave a darn about what we had received for the costs we paid.

Unfortunately being our first cruise and this being an incredibly disappointing experience, I will never cruise again, and certainly will never cruise on a Carnival "Fun" ship!

I suggest anyone that is cruising soon on a Carnival ship that they contact their travel agent and find out the truth before boarding. You may want to reconsider and make sure the ports are viable before you sail.

I also suggest that anyone looking to book a cruise will think twice before booking on a Carnival cruise
Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Familiar Face

Be thankful that Carnival didn't let you off the ship in that situation! We were allowed to get off a ship in Jamacia once while there was a riot taking place. Very Scarey! We immediately returned to the ship and vowed never to get off the ship there again. Now if we dock in Jamacia we enjoy the ship while everyone else is ashore.

You shouldn't let that experience spoil cruising for you. There are lots of great cruises and you just got caught up in several strange situations.

Happy Cruising
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Denise,

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I don't know what I would have chosen regarding Cozumel if it had been my first cruise. The $20 on-board-credit for a missed port is Carnival's policy and it is stated on their website and in your cruise documents. As 4Cruise said the port was skipped for your safety. You would have an entirely different complaint had you disembarked in Roatan and encountered that unrest. It is a shame they weren't able to reroute to another port but that takes a lot of land and sea coordination. You just can't show up with 2,000 passengers and let them loose on the country side.

I'm sure your cruise director and staff tried to keep your extra days at sea as fun as possible.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Beginner

I do appreciate their looking out for my safety, but my reason to cruise was to see sights not have the same fun on the ship each day. If these ports are not safe they shoulad not offer them in the first place. Speaking with the other cruisers on board they had never experienced anything of this sort. I have friends that cruise in Europe and I still stand by my words that Carnival did not care about what had happened. The activities on the day at sea were no different or no more special than any other day. I have checked blogs on Carnival and they have had trouble in Isla Roatan in the past - if it is dangerous sail to a different port.
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wasn't that the Swinger's cruise?

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

You would have had the same thing happen had you been on a RCCL cruise, Princess cruise or any other cruise line. Their main concern is for thier guests safety. You really cant blame Carnival for looking out for its guests. Would you rather have gotten off the ship and got right in the middle of the mess or stay on the ship and enjoy all that she has to offer? Dont let this one bad experience hinder you from going on future cruises. If Carnival is not for you try another line and enjoy yourself.

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM
First Mate

Well Carnival did what the contract was. Nothing new if you miss a port thats what happens.
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Denise, I am sorry your first cruise was not up to your expectations. All any cruise line will guarantee, is that, they will take you on a cruise. For whatever undue reason, they don't guarentee that you will port, and certainly under the 2 circumstances, they did exactly the right thing, and compensated you accordingly.

If you decide to cruise again, and I hope you do, I feel you will get to know more about the industry, and what to expect. Cruisemates can be instrumental in giving you tons of information, to ease you along...

Carnival or any other line, would have protected you, the same way.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 11th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Five days at sea is more than I would enjoy, but your safety is foremost that comes first. Having said that, don't give up on cruising because of one bad experience the caribbean is full of Islands. Find a cruise that will allow you to do the sightseeing that you intended to do. The Islands are beautiful. Enjoy.
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Perhaps reading the file print of the cruise contract would have informed you that they have the right to take away a port or substitute a port if there are problems. They gave you the port fees back and that was all they are obliged to give you. They look at the situation and weight the optiosn--have some angry guests or get their butts sued for a zillion dollars because they docked and a passenger was injured or worse died as a result of civil unrest.

Jamaica--I was just there two weeks ago and I traveled solo. I felt safe and I had absolutely NO problems at all walking around as a single woman. The people couldn't have been nicer. The vendors were fierce, but if you are firm with them they will leave you alone. Once I told the other vendor that I had $30 left and I'm giving $25 of that away for the walking stick I bought, she left me alone.....

I've been on a ship that was rerouted due to a hurricane. I was disapoointed, but I was also glad that the captain and Carnival decided NOT to take us our original route as we'd be less than 24 hours away from a Cat 4 hurricane and one of our ports would have been lost cuz Grand Turk was damaged from Ike. We went West and narry a peep was heard about our changed route....all in all 3400 HAPPY cruisers that sailing.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Before people complain they really need to read contracts!!!!

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Here is another person that just comes to complain...

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Spencer, I think you need to cut the op some slack....Not everyone is an expert first time cruiser.including me..I always say: you learn something from every cruise, to take to the next one.....this is what we do here, give advice & help, and try not to judge too harshly..that old saying live and learn is a good one

Old May 11th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Admiral

I do feel bad these things happened at the same time. That is a bummer. I think there is an important lesson here. Know the ports you are sailing to before you get on the ship. I was looking at cruises that stopped at Roatan, but there is civil unrest so I moved on. Had you planned a land base vacation to Roatan you would have done the research. Because it was a cruise you jumped on the ship without knowing the ports. I understand this cause I did the same thing on my first cruise. I expected Enseneda to be a nice beach port and I was horribly disappointed. Enseneda is a toliet and Roatan is dangerous. My next cruise was much better researched and a wonderful sucess. I hope if you try cruising again that you have a better trip.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Right now 5 days at sea sound heavenly! I am booking in a week or so for April 2010. Wish it was right now and I dont care if I am at sea. I have a balcony and will spend all sorts of time relaxing. Wow... Wish I was on a ship right now. Dont stop cruising because of all that. Try it again. Its wonderful. Carnival is my favorite but I know the other ones are jsut as nice. Happy cruising
Old May 11th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Civil unrest can flair up at almost any given time at almost any location.
Cruise ships have docked at Roatan many, many times with no problems. I have been there 3 times and never in any way felt threatened. I don't consider it a dangerous port, however as of late apparently there has been some problems, not necessarily with tourists but with the Government.
These sort of happenings along with weather is beyond any cruise lines control and any and all passengers should realize this, although they may be disappointed because of the results.
I know it's disappointing to have an itin. change but any cruise line, be it Carnival or whomever will act in the interest of safety for all first and well they should.
If a port becomes a long term problem, they'll drop it from their itin--- St. Croix was at one time a stop and was dropped because it did become unsafe for passengers and crew alike.
If Miami was a port -of-call on a cruise ship's itin. there would in all likely hood be some sort of caution issued to the passengers re/ safety there.

Don't blame Carnival--it wouldn't matter which line you were on--they would all have done the same. Carnival didn't get to be the largest cruise line in the world with more repeat cruisers than the others by ignoring it's passengers. Choose another itin. when you get ready for another cruise and climb aboard, relax and float along with the flow.
Old May 12th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Admiral

I have a cruise set for July 11th and two of our stops are Cozumel & Costa Maya...I certainly would not mind if the entire cruise was at sea. I tend to enjoy the fun days. Remember a bad day at sea is better than a good day at work Although, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad day at sea.

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Admiral

hmmm, Which would I rather have??? Five glorious fun filled days at sea, with total relaxation, or games, or shows and great music,,,,orrrrr,,,,dodging the bullets, and wild folks in a country that doesn't care too much for tourists, even when they aren't having an uprising,,,,,orrrrrr,,,,,maybe getting swine flu??? Personally, I'd take a seven day, no port cruise anytime over the other two, but then, that's just me.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
hmmm, Which would I rather have??? Five glorious fun filled days at sea, with total relaxation, or games, or shows and great music,,,,orrrrr,,,,dodging the bullets, and wild folks in a country that doesn't care too much for tourists, even when they aren't having an uprising,,,,,orrrrrr,,,,,maybe getting swine flu??? Personally, I'd take a seven day, no port cruise anytime over the other two, but then, that's just me.

Ken
"SKY"

You are 100% wrong!!!! That's NOT just you!!! I'm with ya on that one!!!

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Admiral

I think the OP is gone. She was a hit and run poster. She was upset with what happened and needed to vent. I understand a lot of people take a 1st cruise without understanding everything about it. I think she understand about missed the ports, she just didn't feel Carnival made each of an effort to visit other port or give more of a refund. New cruise always read your cruise contract then you will know that sometimes a captain has to miss a port it isn't that easy to find a replacement port.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Beginner

To add to the lousy comments. I am an honest person trying my best to alert others that may not understand. Yes perhaps i did not do enough research and trusted the cruiseline too much. This is a lesson learned - but I was too trusting of Carnival and I am one of the millions that don't read fine print.

I am not giving complaint to Carnival's decision to keep us safe that I applaud and I appreciate Carnival looking out for our safety, but feel something like a free drink or an extra activity would have been in line to compensate for two missed ports.

I am not a one time poster and didn't even know this existed site existed- not everyone is so astute to blogging as you seem to be.

I sincerely wanted to make others aware that things are not guaranteed and to not make the mistakes that I did - -

Your unfair judments of me will cause me to not come here again.

Happy cruising to you all
Old May 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Denise, I think if you reread most of the posts, you will find that, while agreeing with Carnival, there was also a dose of compassion, with our responses. I think that if you post this on any cruise website, you will find the majority saying the very same thing, and possibly, not in a kinder or gentler way..

Old May 12th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisevelarde
To add to the lousy comments. I am an honest person trying my best to alert others that may not understand. Yes perhaps i did not do enough research and trusted the cruiseline too much. This is a lesson learned - but I was too trusting of Carnival and I am one of the millions that don't read fine print.

I am not giving complaint to Carnival's decision to keep us safe that I applaud and I appreciate Carnival looking out for our safety, but feel something like a free drink or an extra activity would have been in line to compensate for two missed ports.

I am not a one time poster and didn't even know this existed site existed- not everyone is so astute to blogging as you seem to be.

I sincerely wanted to make others aware that things are not guaranteed and to not make the mistakes that I did - -

Your unfair judments of me will cause me to not come here again.

Happy cruising to you all
Sometimes when I type to fast words like "much" turn into to "each" and then the sentence makes no sense. That is my fault and I'm sorry. The sentence should have been "She just didn't feel Carnival made much of an effort to visit another port or give more of a refund." I also explained in an earlier post that on my first cruise I went to Enseneda without research and was deeply disappointed. This is how I learned I needed to research the ports of a cruise in the same way I would for a land based vacation. I'm not trying to judge, you in fact I think it's great that you posted here. Your experience will help new cruisers understand what can happen on a cruise.

I thought you might be a hit and run poster because we get that alot. People are upset they vent and feel better than move on. Nothing I wrote was intended to insult you or devalue your experience. I'm sorry if it was misunderstood. I hope you will hang around and join in. If you do cruise again I hope you have a much better second experience. My second cruise was head and shoulders better then my first cruise. The ports were much nicer.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Beginner

It's funny how it goes . . . If they let us hit the Island and some people gets Hurt, Law Suits would be flying in from everywhere . . . Carnival did the right thing (passing on Roatan - Labor issues) (and Cozumel -swine flu scare) and avoided any contingent liability.

We were aboard the May 3rd sailing of the Valor and were turned away from Roatan due to the "Labor Dispute". As we approached the Island we simply slowed down and determined within an hour or two and numerous communiques that it wasn't happening for us . . . It was one of those "it should be resolved shortly" situations much like the 4 in a row "20 minute delay" type things that pop up as you await departing an Airport now and then.
The rumor was buzzing around that Carnival had not hit the Island in a number of previous sailings. I would be interested to know if there is any truth to that rumor . . .
Other than that, the Ship was fine (nothing amazing) but, my Wife and I felt the Service was absolutely Outstanding in nearly every area. We have done 11 Cruises (3 RCCL, 3 Princess, and 5 Carnival) in the last 7 years and really thought the Service was very Professional . . .

Be Blessed, Sparx
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Admiral

A similar thing happened to me the last week of April. We had to miss Cozumel due to the flu scare. I received a refund for my shore excursion and port fees. I was content with that.
Out of 9 cruises and 29 potential ports of call, that was the first time that this happened.
Based on my experiences, the lines do a great job considering the task at hand. I AM very sorry that others were so discouraged.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM
First Mate

Hi, Denise. I'm also sorry your first cruise was not what you expected or looked forward to. Roatan is a beautiful island and it's a real shame that you had to miss it too. Think back though, outside the missed ports and lack of compensation/concern about that issue by the staff, what were some of the highlights of your trip?

The biggest travel dissapointment I've ever had was with Princess Cruises a couple of years ago but after all was said and done, it was still one heck of a vacation and I had a great time. Are they my first choice? No way, but if the itinerary and price is right, I wouldn't think twice knowing that my experience then and yours now are exceptions, not the norm.

You had to learn about these "rules of cruising" the hard way but I say use that knowledge and give it another try. As for the posts, I know the intent was not to blame you or be hurtful. We cruisers are PASSIONATE about it, sometimes just a bit too much I guess.

We do hope to see you around the boards.

Glenn

Old May 14th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I realize that things happen, such as civil unrest, hurricanes, swine flu and the like but isn't it reasonable for the cruise lines to have back up plans? For example.....The ship couldn't dock at Roatan and I understand that some ports with piers can't handle anymore ships then already planned but couldn't the canceled Ports be replaced with a stop at say the Cayman Islands where the ships are tendered? It was already known that Cozumel was out, well how about Costa Rica to replace it? Do you see what I am saying? Also, couldn't they stop at Half moon cay or Princess Cay, their sister lines private Islands to compensate?
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old May 14th, 2009, 02:59 AM
First Mate

If only it were that easy There is so much involved in changing ports that we as passengers don't even think about - berth availability & official clearance to dock (which is usally worked out years to months in advance), immigration requirements & passenger manifests required in advance just like our own govt, etc.

Old May 14th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROOOOZIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster

Ken
"SKY"

You are 100% wrong!!!! That's NOT just you!!! I'm with ya on that one!!!
Count me in!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 14th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to RAND45 Send a message via MSN to RAND45 Send a message via Yahoo to RAND45

I just returned from my first cruise. We had to skip Cozumel, but we still had a blast. The stops at ports are just a sampling of any given location anyway. Cruising is first and foremost about cruising and enjoying the amenities on the ship. I would say if you are not the sort that would enjoy just relaxing and being catered to for a week while viewing gorgeous sunrises and sunsets and the sights and sounds of the open ocean, then cruising is probably not your thing. You should just pick a location and fly there.