CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   On Board Credits question... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/364373-board-credits-question.html)

AngelaJeff May 12th, 2009 04:12 PM

On Board Credits question...

We have six staterooms, eighteen of us crusing soon. Between us, we've been given almost $500 in on-board credits, distributed among person obviously in smaller amounts.

Here's my question... Can the on board credit be used for:

The prepaid gratuity
Alchohol
Shore Excursions
Spa treatments
Gambling

And also, any other ideas as to what the onboard credit can be used for?

RockChickX51 May 12th, 2009 04:27 PM

As far as I know it can be used for anything. It on-board money.
We have a $66 credit on our account and we're using it toward our tips.

green_rd May 12th, 2009 05:36 PM

Ditto RockChick,

The only caveat is that some OBC is refundable and other OBC is use or lose. But with $66 I doubt you will have problems using it.

katlady May 12th, 2009 06:15 PM

Yes to all you questions. I had OBC on my last cruise. Because Carnival has auto tips the OBC credit appeared to be gone. But I didn't owe any tips so I was at zero balance it was sweet. It was a 14 day cruise so the tips were $280 for my hubby and me. I got my fuel surcharge refunded and I had OBC for booking a group cruise. :D

ferrangi May 12th, 2009 07:05 PM

Believe me you will find things to buy... anything in the stores, also, specialty coffees, etc.
I already paid my for my tips, so all my OBC is for me and my sis....

faraway May 12th, 2009 08:40 PM

The OBC cannot be used for shore excursions.

jlauntz May 12th, 2009 09:28 PM

My onboard credit was to my sail and sign account. The $100 I recieved reduced total bill, I spent more than that on the ship so I can't say if I had not if I could have used it for excursions.

ferrangi May 13th, 2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faraway
The OBC cannot be used for shore excursions.

I thought if you booked through carnival at the excursion desk, it would be added to your sign and sail card... :shock:
I haven't heard of anyone saying you had to bring extra credit cards or cash for excursions...
What happens once you are on board and you want to purchase an excursion?

brad813 May 13th, 2009 12:30 PM

From my understanding the rules for OBC and excursions is this. If you book only you must prepay, but booking on board the ship you may use OBC since they charge your Sail and Sign account.

jlauntz May 13th, 2009 02:22 PM

All excursions booked onboard must be charged to your sail and sign.

CA Cruiser May 13th, 2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlauntz
All excursions booked onboard must be charged to your sail and sign.

Exactly...Therefore you can use OBC for shore excursions. They deduct the OBC first on anything charged on your S&S card, then you pay the remainder.

green_rd May 13th, 2009 03:32 PM

If you book shore excursions pre-cruise you will pay for them by credit card at the time of booking. They will appear as a debit on your S&S but there will also be a corresponding credit for the prepayment.

Other than that, any excursions I have booked on board have always gone directly to the Sign & Sail.