Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Beginner

Default Carnival Destiny this summer

just got done booking the boat. can't wait!!! will be our second cruise as a family. it's a Mon-Sat cruise doing eastern Carib - Nassau, Grand Turk and Halfmoon Cay.

could use any and all ideas for this cruise, especially:

* what night is formal night?

* ideas on great shore excursions for Nassau, Grand Turk, and Halfmoon? I am especially interested in snorkeling, parasailing, etc but doing it with a "non-official" excursion. we did that on our last cruise in Grand Cayman. had a much better time for less money on a stingray boat that wasn't packed to the gills like Carnivals' official boat was.

* we're on Riveria deck - way down. is that a problem?

* anybody know what the entertainment is on the Destiny right now?

thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

HI Buckeyemark;

We did this same cruise last January and are doing it again next January.
This is a great five night cruise and if you like beaches you will love it. We did not do any tours, even in Nassau. The ladies did some shopping and then we met at Senor Frogs which is right next to the deck area. There are many tours you can book w/the cruise line or book something yourself w/vendors near the dock. That is not something we do but I am sure you would be ok doing it?? There is lots to see around Nassau. We
LOVED Grand Turk! The beaches are wonderful. Half-moon Cay is the same just some great beach time and the cruise line has a regular buffet setup near the beach. When you are in Grand Turk go to Margriatiaville, which I know I mispelled?? The Destiny is a nice ship and the service and food are outstanding. The cabin's on Riveria Deck are just fine! That is a more quiet area good for sleeping. We liked the shows. The show lounge is nice w/good seating. The formal night was the second night out. This is a larger ship but it is easy to get around and I am pretty sure you will enjoy both the ship and the cruise!! If you have any more questions please let me know. Here is my email: munchking@centurytel.net

We did a small review on our cruise so you could check that out to?

Lee & Kelli
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I love the Destiny...was on her twice last year and had a blast both times. Best vacations ever. It's not the prettiest in the fleet, but for me she is the most fun!

2nd night is usually formal.

I always stay on Main, not sure about Riviera.

Parasailing/snorkeling/hiking/swimming with stingrays are all great.

Have a great cruise!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Destiny...

Somehow I figured cutiecat would offer her excellent advice on this ship.
She's the PRO for sure!

Lee & Kelli
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat
Default Re: Destiny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeandKelli
Somehow I figured cutiecat would offer her excellent advice on this ship.
She's the PRO for sure!

Lee & Kelli
chances are i'd sail her every cruise if i didn't want to try all the ships and every place imagineable!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:44 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

Cutie Cat and me did this cruise a week apart in October 2008. I just came back from our girls trip via the May 14th voyage. I suggest doing your water excursions in Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk (if you can get away from the Margaritaville pools). As for Nassau, this was my first stop there. One of our group was able to get us a great deal for a tour of the island and a tour of Atlantis for $25pp!!! Search out Maxwell, a darker shade guy at the end of the pier. He'll be in a shirt, slacks with his tie loosened and is about 5'5" tall. He is extremely knowledgeable for not being college educated and gave us a wonderful tour. (Tell him the group of 10 women with the gorillas that he showed around on May 17th sent you! The one stop we made was at the fort for some kodak moments and some very good priced souvenirs and then he took our group Senor Frogs. Since we were there on a Sunday, a lot of the regular stores were closed. Bahamians are fairly religious and you saw them dressed to the nines for services. Otherwise, one bit of information I do have is that for $4 pp, a shuttle will take you from the pier to the public beach near Atlantis where you can swim and I believe the cost to access the beach is $4pp. If for nothing else though, see if you can take the tour. Atlantis is awesome if not just for seeing the Manta Rays and some photo ops. By the way, I think the Senor Frogs in Nassau was more fun than the one in Cozumel. We had a blast. Send the kids back to ship. The beef nachos are delicious and will easily feed two people. If you order the nachos for 4, it's huge! Have a great time!

Old May 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Just FYI, Half Moon Cay is owned or leased by the cruise line, so anything you do there has to be through the ship. That said, it is an absolutely beautiful place with a gorgeous beach. Have fun!
Marty
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

The five night cruise on the Destiny doing Grand Turk, Halfmoon Cay and Nassua is a great cruise package for only five nights. We live in Wisconsin so its nice to plan a cruise that includes travel time and is done in about a week. This is our favorite cruise, ship and port wise, that you can do in five nights!! Colorcrazie is right that Halfmoon Cay has a great beach but we think Grand Turk is just as good! If you like beaches this is the one for you!

Lee & Kelli