Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM
First Mate

Having cruised since the 50,s in Miami I have seen all kinds in regard to avoiding the tips at the end of the cruise and in the early years those who were the really cheap skates would not show up at dinner the last nite. these are the same people who complain the most during the cruise and this is their excuse for not tipping those who have made our cruise a wonderful experience.It is no wonder that the cruise lines went to an automatic add on. Ask those who work in the restaurant business and they will tell you the same thing.Those who are stiffing on the ships do the same thing at home and will complain to mgmt. in hopes of getting a free meal.Believe me when I say that this is not the first time for this behavior.
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:56 AM
Familiar Face

Was on this cruise. Many took tips off as they got off in Long Beach on thursday. Many more took tips off and delivered tips personally to their wait staff and room sterards. I aee nothing wrong with this.

I know many people who did the latter for their tipping. I agree those who stiffed the crew are wrong. But to just ASSUME that because tips were removed that they are bad people is wrong.

Our friends removed their tips due to things that happened on the lido deck. But the last night they tipped their wait staff over and above what they had to. They did the same with their room steward. Now these may be the few and far between but I will not judge people like so many here have.
Oct 2007-Carnival Liberty-First "Kids Free" Cruise
April 2009-Carnival Splendor-Swine Flu Cruise-Enjoyed San Fran
April 2010-Carnival Dream-Loved the cruise

To Come:
Jan 2012-Family Cruise on the Mariner of the Seas

"Boat Drink, Waitress I need 2 more Boat Drinks"
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Sometimes it seems like folks who take their tips off to tip in cash are more about "look at me and how much money I am giving you."

And that is not what tipping is all about...

tipping is to commend a worker for a good job, not to gain personal recognition for the giver.

Unfortunately, there are workers that folks never see that get a portion of these tips. And it is sad to exclude them.

The workers are happy with this system......(as long as the bus riders dont' come along and stiff them)...that is good enough for me.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Familiar Face

So we are talking corporation policy? All these cruise names?
'Carnival Corporation & plc is a global cruise company and one of the largest vacation companies in the world. Our portfolio of leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn Cruise Line in North America; P&O Cruises, Cunard Line and Ocean Village in the United Kingdom; AIDA in Germany; Costa Cruises in southern Europe; Iberocruceros in Spain; and P&O Cruises in Australia.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
This practice was openly disclosed to us by the Hotel Manager on the Holland America Statendam so it isn't an isolated incident. I also believe there is nothing wrong with it.

NCL did a report, a number of years back that the vast majority of people who remove their tips from the automatic tipping program in order to personally give their gratuity "NEVER" do. It is the same on other cruise lines. It is just an excuse for people to be cheap.

Take care,
Mike
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Why not just add $70 to the cost upfront then say "NO TIPS EXPECTED" ?
The best of staff would still get a little extra on top of that. I think this whole tipping policy is muddled.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
The best of staff would still get a little extra on top of that. I think this whole tipping policy is muddled.
This is what the Sandals resort chain does, and personally, I love it. In fact, other than the butler staff, and the spa staff, if tips are accepted by staff, they can be fired. The tips are factored into the final cost of the vacation.

This way, everyone gets the same level of service, and the show-off at the end of the bar waving his $20 bill gets served when it's his turn. I say him, because I've never seen women do this.

However, at Sandals, if you wish to show your appreciation for someone who goes beyond the call of duty looking after your needs, you can fill out a form recognizing them, and submit it to management. Staff who receive many positive comments receive raises to their standard pay, prizes, and free stays for themselves and family at any Sandals or Beaches resorts in the chain. Or even promotions. Sandals will also pay tuition for staff wishing to improve themselves, especially where it's job related.
Old June 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks...I'll have to look into a Sandals resort. ARe they all the same. May you please recommend a few. I always say after 10 cruises if the resort is about the same as a cruise no bad seas, no missed ports I'd like to try it. Thanks bb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybruce
Quote:
The best of staff would still get a little extra on top of that. I think this whole tipping policy is muddled. :roll:
This is what the Sandals resort chain does, and personally, I love it. In fact, other than the butler staff, and the spa staff, if tips are accepted by staff, they can be fired. The tips are factored into the final cost of the vacation.

This way, everyone gets the same level of service, and the show-off at the end of the bar waving his $20 bill gets served when it's his turn. I say him, because I've never seen women do this.

However, at Sandals, if you wish to show your appreciation for someone who goes beyond the call of duty looking after your needs, you can fill out a form recognizing them, and submit it to management. Staff who receive many positive comments receive raises to their standard pay, prizes, and free stays for themselves and family at any Sandals or Beaches resorts in the chain. Or even promotions. Sandals will also pay tuition for staff wishing to improve themselves, especially where it's job related.
Old June 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Passenger

Go to Cheryls board for Sandals information

Great bunch of people, no advertising, no agendas, and the straight "poop" on the travel business.

http://chris-n-cheryl.com/v-web/bulletin
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybruce
Quote:

sounds like a plan

/ticker.png">
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I would never even think about removing my tips! I love the prepaid as then I won't forget! Darn - even this past cruise we only ate in the dining room 3 times. Doesn't mean it wasn't good or service wasn't good! Just turned out that way with the way the port of calls docked, etc. I would never think of removing them! They work to darn hard!
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM
First Mate

I have loved the automatic tip feature ever since it was begun (less cash to worry about), but have never failed to give additional tips to our room steward/assistant, dining room staff and select bar staff who have provided us with the exceptional service that I come to expect every time I step foot onto a Carnival ship.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Captain

Thanks again Cruisemates for your helpful information. After 13 cruises, I am still learning from you! We are one of those couples that like to personally hand the tip to the staff person. We have always removed the auto tip on embarkation day......NO MORE ! We will now remove it late on the last day to prevent any undue misgivings and possible slighted service because they think we will "stiff" them. The auto tip system feels like another surcharge (like the fuel supplement) and not a tip for services received like it should be.

Thanks again fellow Cruisemates,

AKcruiser
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Captain

I think alot of these type of people (compulsive tip removers) have something more going on in their heads besides just being cheap....I think there is actually some type of sickness there. These same people don't mind shelling out for something like a cruise or other luxury in life but have a real problem handing over relatively small money for things like tips etc.

I used to ride share with a friend to a part time job in the bay area...Everytime I was driving and we were a couple miles from a toll bridge he suddenly became very "sleepy" and reclined back in his seat for a nap lol. Obviously, he just couldn't bring himself to pay that 2 buck toll. It became a running joke with the rest of us who would ride share with this guy.
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM
First Mate

Your story on going to sleep may have been a running joke but the waiters and room stewards count on these tips as the major part of their compensation and if the various cruise lines want to do the shipboard method we should go along with their program until a change has been made and if you want a change write the company or so indicate on you remarks card at the conclusion of your cruise and you can rest assure that these comments are read by the right higher ups within the organization.If the problem continues with tip removing my guess is that they will add to the price of the cruise to alleviate the situation. Several of the more expensive cruise lines have a no tipping policy however based on the price the tips are there.
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Beginner

Im curious about how much of the cash tips are actually reported. I'm guessing that much of it goes into the pocket, never to see the 'sharing pot'.
Old June 13th, 2009, 10:30 PM
First Mate

If you could lose your job by not reporting yout tips what would you do?
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
If you could lose your job by not reporting yout tips what would you do?
Do they have cams in the staterooms? lol According to many of the posts, the staff is way underpaid, so it doesnt seem like such a great loss. If the staff is so horribly desperate, what would keep them from not reporting some of the cash recieved?
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Beginner

The problem with pre paid tips is they know they are getting something no matter what kind of service they put out.I live in the most tip minded city in the US From experience if they know they are getting a tip no matter what service does go down.In the old days of crusing you tipped according to the service you get .I have tried to adjust the tip downward after some of the crusis as the service was not up to standard .I feel people in a tip position work harder when the money comes at the end of there hard work
Old July 19th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Passenger

Prepay tips, I don't think so. That's tantamount to going to a restaurant & tipping the wait staff before you've even ordered.

My wife & I pay handsomely for the level of serice that we require. Well inexcess of the lines expectations.I realize that this approach does not put us within the great majority of passengers. So be it!

We expect & pay for service to attain the level of our expectations.Seems pretty simply on the face of it.

In our seven cruises, we've never encountered any problems whatsoever.

Best of luck with whichever approach you embrace.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Familiar Face

Default tip

To Tip or not to Tip.

This does not really bother me in any way as the waiter nos not what my name is or my room number.
Because they put me and my wife with 4 or 6 other guest.

You people just tickle the mess out of me.

They are more post here on this site that all the other cruise sites.

TIP TIP TIP TIP TIP TIP TIP TIP or Not to TIP that is the question.

I install floor covering, Say I install in your home do you tip me.

You take your new car to be serviced, do you tip the mechic?

You go to the doctor, how much do you tip him. Nurses?
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguppies
I think it is a great thing that the Paymaster on the ship notifies the workers, who has already removed their autotips and who had left them intact.

At least it gives them a reasonable idea of who is going to stiff them outright and who will at least leave them the minimum tip.

I can not for the life of me, imagine anyone who has EVER been on a cruise before, feeling that the $10 a day minimum tip is too much for even mediocre service. (considering overall how much service you are given each and every day)

And the old time cruiser excuse about wanting to give the entire tip in person in the envelope is just total BS.

What is the difference if the waiters and stewards get their cut of the $10 each day and then you cash tip them additionally at the end?(that is what we always do)

I guess these people feel better about themselves by handing an envelope with slightly more cash in it, than just the additional tip?!?!?!

Plus if the rumored Carnival policy, of making waiters and stewards turn over any cash tips at the end of the cruise, if auto tips were removed, then having those cash tips put in a pool, but if the auto tips are left on, they get to keep any additional cash tips at the end of a cruise.
If this practice is correct, then people removing autotips are just hurting their waiters and stewards, rather than giving to them directly.

Obviously, anybody who removes autotips, and doesn't pay at all, is just some sub-human creature I wouldn't want to cruise with, let alone meet or eat with.

I say Kudos to Carnival for letting their workers know this info and let them make educated decisions about service, based on who is more likely to at least leave them the minimum tip. (I'm sure they can tell somewhat, who is more likely to stiff them after reading the list.)

Bill
Definition of tip or gratuity: "Something given voluntarily or beyond obligation, usually for some service."

Maybe the cruise lines should pay their own employees a fair wage and let a tip be what it is meant to be. I have asked my cabin steward pointedly if he would prefer the auto tip or a cash tip to him personally and he replied "a cash tip". I have always tipped for good service, but I also do not feel obligated to tip for just the service itself as I feel the service itself is included in the price of the cruise. I know tipping is a sore subject with many, but tipping everyone who provides a service could be endless...... I believe it is not for me to judge people for the amount they personally choose to tip or not to tip at all. Would we all be so accepting of auto-tips being added to our bill in our daily lives who provided us with a service (physicians, nurses, sales personnel, grocery store cashiers, etc. etc)?
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruisetoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguppies
I think it is a great thing that the Paymaster on the ship notifies the workers, who has already removed their autotips and who had left them intact.

At least it gives them a reasonable idea of who is going to stiff them outright and who will at least leave them the minimum tip.

I can not for the life of me, imagine anyone who has EVER been on a cruise before, feeling that the $10 a day minimum tip is too much for even mediocre service. (considering overall how much service you are given each and every day)

And the old time cruiser excuse about wanting to give the entire tip in person in the envelope is just total BS.

What is the difference if the waiters and stewards get their cut of the $10 each day and then you cash tip them additionally at the end?(that is what we always do)

I guess these people feel better about themselves by handing an envelope with slightly more cash in it, than just the additional tip?!?!?!

Plus if the rumored Carnival policy, of making waiters and stewards turn over any cash tips at the end of the cruise, if auto tips were removed, then having those cash tips put in a pool, but if the auto tips are left on, they get to keep any additional cash tips at the end of a cruise.
If this practice is correct, then people removing autotips are just hurting their waiters and stewards, rather than giving to them directly.

Obviously, anybody who removes autotips, and doesn't pay at all, is just some sub-human creature I wouldn't want to cruise with, let alone meet or eat with.

I say Kudos to Carnival for letting their workers know this info and let them make educated decisions about service, based on who is more likely to at least leave them the minimum tip. (I'm sure they can tell somewhat, who is more likely to stiff them after reading the list.)

Bill
Definition of tip or gratuity: "Something given voluntarily or beyond obligation, usually for some service."

Maybe the cruise lines should pay their own employees a fair wage and let a tip be what it is meant to be. I have asked my cabin steward pointedly if he would prefer the auto tip or a cash tip to him personally and he replied "a cash tip". I have always tipped for good service, but I also do not feel obligated to tip for just the service itself as I feel the service itself is included in the price of the cruise. I know tipping is a sore subject with many, but tipping everyone who provides a service could be endless...... I believe it is not for me to judge people for the amount they personally choose to tip or not to tip at all. Would we all be so accepting of auto-tips being added to our bill in our daily lives who provided us with a service (physicians, nurses, sales personnel, grocery store cashiers, etc. etc)?
On Carnival, not true on every line, the auto tip is not forced. It is not a tip in advance. Any pax may change the tip at any time 24/7 to any amount, including 0, for any reason. The tips are not paid by you until the cruise is over and your check or credit card has cleared. And the workers do not receive the tip until then either. That is hardly a tip in advance.
And the reason for auto-tips in the first place was because "CASH" tippers,,,,,,,,,DIDN'T!

Prior to auto tipping the 'tip night' found the dining room LESS than half full as cheap screws gave up a meal to avoid tipping a cent! Not hearsay or rumor, I have been cruising for over 40 years and watched it happen. It was embarrassing to me for the rudeness and cheapness of my fellow man.

And in 50 cruises, I have NOT tipped 3 individuals for terrible service. But that was truly BAD service, not service less than expected, but BAD. Not on Carnival, 1 was on a very upscale line. [I was too new to cruising to speak to the MD' then.]
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

One other thing about the crew KNOWING OR NOT KNOWING if the auto-tip has been removed. Officially the cruiselines, all of them, say the crew is NOT informed, even tho it has been seen to happen.

Regardless,

The ships crew numbers 1000 to 1200. But ONLY 3 or 400 of them are involved in tipping. The rest are salaried. The people at the Pursers desk DO KNOW when tips are removed. And the people that receive tips also know the Purser's people know! And they ALL live together on the ship. The eat together, they relax together, they drink together, and spend beach time together. To think ANYONE doesn't unofficially know that tips have been removed would be incredibly naive!
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Admiral

I like auto tips. My first cruises were before auto tips and I found it to be a pain to get the right change and the envelopes. Plus you have to know the standard tip amounts for each service person. With auto tipping I know the people will get the right tip without any effort from me. I also can get envelopes and leave an extra tip if I feel the service was really excellent.

I understand why some people like the envelopes they know for certain the person is recieving the tip. They feel the service is better if the tip is a cash tip at the end of the cruise (in my experience I have not noticed a difference in service). I think Carnival's style may be confusing at times, but it allows for both styles of tipping. I can leave my auto tip and you can remove your auto tip and tip in cash. I agree remove the auto tip on the last night so the staff doesn't find out a head of time and think you are going to stiff them.

In the case of this original post the Splendor was unable to go to Mexico because of the swine flu. So the ship only went to San Francisco (not a beach port). A lot of passengers were upset and felt they deserved a refund or partial refund. When one wasn't provided on the cruise (because the decision is made by the corporate headquarters) the passengers removed thier auto tips. The corporation did later provide a partial refund or future cruise credit; I can't remember which it was. The cruise ship workers got punished not because of bad service, but because the passengers felt cheated by Carnival. That was just wrong. Had I been on this cruise I would have tipped the staff normally and taken up any issues I had with Carnival directly.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:44 PM
Familiar Face

Default tipping

We always opt out of prepaid gratuities and tip whom ever we feel did a great job at the end of the cruise. If the room steward was just "ok" then ther tip is small and if they are great! well you get the picture. Also we NEVER tip the maitred, since you never see him until the end of the cruise with his hand out. Also they are not a low level employee, I'm sure his paycheck is more than enough!!!!!!!!!!!
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:03 PM
Admiral

I do not remove auto tips, some goes to hard workers who back up the ones you actually see. These in sight, get all the kudos. I will tip the steward, servers etc, but never an extra to the maitre'd. What does he actually do for you on a personal level? On the last night he's there though.
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist View Post
We always opt out of prepaid gratuities and tip whom ever we feel did a great job at the end of the cruise. If the room steward was just "ok" then ther tip is small and if they are great! well you get the picture. Also we NEVER tip the maitred, since you never see him until the end of the cruise with his hand out. Also they are not a low level employee, I'm sure his paycheck is more than enough!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a couple of questions for you and I am not trying to be a smart a--, but do you eat any meals other than dinner in the main dining room? If so, since you remove your tips and $1 per day per person goes to other service people, how do you tip them?
Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
First Mate

Why are we now resurrecting a post that is almost 2years old?

Need some cruise help?
Old September 2nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
When you leave a tip in a restaurant using a debit or credit card, if the manager even distributes the tips at all, they are divided equally instead of proportionate to actual customers and service.
I completely disagree with this statement. I've waited tables for many years and always got the exact amount in the tip line. The only exception to that rule was if more than one server handled a large group, then the tip may be split. But I promise you the servers in restaurants know exactly how much they are owed and receive that amount
Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturist View Post
If they are just OK they don't deserve $3.50 a day? WOW!

I know the thread is 2 years old but my fingers wouldn't listen to my brain.

Bill