Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Captain

Default Tipping Room Stewards

Kind of a follow up topic on tipping but it made me wonder just how many people tip hotel maids. I never do and rarely even think about it. The cruise lines pound it into you that tips are the employees main salaries but why do we stiff hotel maids? My guess is they dont make a ton of money either although probably more than non US cruise line employees. I would like it better if ship employees were paid better by the lines and not hit us up so hard about tipping them. Im not saying they dont deserve it but enough already. Naysayers will say that if they make more per hour then they wont work as hard. Well, if thats the case then can em and hire somebody else that needs the work. Am I way off base here?
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Admiral

IMO I don't think $10 per person per day is being hit hard as far as gratuities go. But I guess that's just me. And I have cruised with my wife and our 2 kids in the cabin and it was $40 a day for me, I still didn't think that was bad for the services that are being provided. That gets split up many times and if you read the breakdown it really isn't that much...but then again, that's my opinion.

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Familiar Face

We spend a lot of nights in hotels If we are at a hotel for more than one night, we always leave a tip. Some times the maid doesn't take the tip. We try and find her to make sure she gets it. We feel it is only fair.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Admiral

Many hotels have a policy the don't allow you to tip housekeeping. You can always check with the hotel to see if they will allow it.
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Admiral

The California and Las Vegas hotels I have stayed in all allowed you to tip the hotel staff. We always tip the hotel maids $5.00 per day. On the ship $3.50 of your $10 goes to the cabin stewards.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROOOOZIN
IMO I don't think $10 per person per day is being hit hard as far as gratuities go. But I guess that's just me. And I have cruised with my wife and our 2 kids in the cabin and it was $40 a day for me, I still didn't think that was bad for the services that are being provided. That gets split up many times and if you read the breakdown it really isn't that much...but then again, that's my opinion.
We have he same situation...2 adults and 2 children=$40/day. So, should we tip extra on top of that??? I am more than willing to reward great service, but $40/day seems like plenty to me.
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Admiral

I think you should tip more if the service warrants it.
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Like tropicalgal if I camp out in a hotel room I usually tip or if I feel the service is extraordinary. When it's a quick overnighter then not usually. If they do a bad job definitely not.

Different compensation models between the hotel & cruise industries.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbomominNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CROOOOZIN
We have he same situation...2 adults and 2 children=$40/day. So, should we tip extra on top of that??? I am more than willing to reward great service, but $40/day seems like plenty to me.
If you feel the service was normal, not bad and not amazing, then the auto tip is perfect. If the service was amazing you might want to add a bit more. You don't have to go crazy. $3.5 of auto tips goes to the cabin steward if you feel the service was outstanding you could add a $20 to it. If you feel this service was bad (this hasn't happened to me) go and reduce the tip.

Often times people feel the kids should not be required to tip. I disagree completely, more work is required to clean up after young children. This is a general statement about young children (toddlers) your children maybe older and well behaved. But if this is the case it takes more work to clean up after 4 people then after 2.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Logically speaking, it will always take more effort to clean up after 4 than 2, but it should not look like 8 people were in one stateroom.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Familiar Face

Service industry employees are notoriously underpaid. I think it is very unfair but not something that I have any control over. I tip for service including hotel maids and counter workers. If the service is especially good or attentive I tip more than the standard and vice versa. I give workers what I feel they deserve. If you don't want to tip, don't.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
Many hotels have a policy the don't allow you to tip housekeeping. You can always check with the hotel to see if they will allow it.
What hotels don't allow tipping and how would they know anyway?
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Admiral

I am not sure which ones, but I have heard rumors about this.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Beginner

I don't think that $10 per day is too much to tip. That said, I still feel that the cruise lines should pay these employees more. We are already paying for the service of the steward (and other staff) in the cost of the cruise. Tips should be rewards for jobs well done, not the staff's main salary. Like I said, I would never NOT give the $10 per day tip plus more, but I still think staff should be adequately compensated without accounting for tips. I believe the same of waitresses and other tipped employees.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:08 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Tipping Room Stewards

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Kind of a follow up topic on tipping but it made me wonder just how many people tip hotel maids. I never do and rarely even think about it. The cruise lines pound it into you that tips are the employees main salaries but why do we stiff hotel maids? My guess is they dont make a ton of money either although probably more than non US cruise line employees. I would like it better if ship employees were paid better by the lines and not hit us up so hard about tipping them. Im not saying they dont deserve it but enough already. Naysayers will say that if they make more per hour then they wont work as hard. Well, if thats the case then can em and hire somebody else that needs the work. Am I way off base here?
If they paid them more where do you think that money would come from?

They would just pass it on to us.

Bill
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

For many years I traveled extensively for business and I have almost always tipped the hotel maids. These are minimum wage jobs and they do a lot of work to clean up after some real pigs. Hopefully, I don't fall into that category. My sister had a second job as a hotel maid, in an upscale hotel, and I know what she had to go through. Because of this I probably over tip hotel maids.

Quite often, I will ignore a doorman who expects to receive a tip for opening a cab door for me or a bellman who grabs my "bag" and carries it to the front desk. If a bellman takes my luggage to my room then I will tip them $2 - $3 /bag.

Other than All Inclusive resorts I don't know of, or have I stayed in a hotel, that does not allow tipping and I've stayed in A LOT of them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover
Quote:
If they paid them more where do you think that money would come from?

They would just pass it on to us.

Bill

Bill, I'm not naive enough to think the consumer wouldnt utlimately pay the wages, I would just like the tipping policy to be downplayed somewhat. I hate the idea of auto gratuities. Although you can adjust them it reeks of greed in that the policy is stated all over the place. You cant get away from it. I suppose in a mass market line that is the price we all pay.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Admiral

My aunt used to work housekeeping in hotels and motels. Unfortunately for her she always had the worst messes and was underappreciated.
Old May 21st, 2009, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraway
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
What hotels don't allow tipping and how would they know anyway?
When I went to Sandals, they said tipping was not allowed because it was already included, but I know whenever I tipped it was well appreciated. The bartenders were funny, they would put out an ashtry & motion you to put it under it and then they would take it away as if they were cleaning it. Now the housekeeper we had for our Suite actually said no about 3 times until I told her it was ok. I must say I was SHOCKED!!!

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:07 PM
Familiar Face

Tom,

If the tips were included in the price then tipping was allowed. Management just wants control over it. I've been traveling on three continents for about 40 years and have stayed at all kinds of hotels and resorts. I've yet to encounter a hotel that had an official policy against tipping. It still seems to me that some people are looking for any excuse not to tip, as if they need one. If you don't want to tip, dont. It's just that simple.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Why is it that some do not tip hotel staff for one night? The housekeepers still have to clean that room. I worked as a hotel maid and it is hard work. Where I worked they paid us $3.00 per room. You really had to hustle to make a living wage. Many times I have cleaned rooms that had horrible unimagnable messes in them. Rooms like that take a lot longer to do. If you had a lot of such rooms you might only get 10 or 11 rooms done. That would be a whopping $33.00 for a hard days pay. I can understand not tipping if the room is not up to par. To stiff just because you only stay one night does not make sense.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Quote:
That is your personal opinion and you are entitled to that, just as everyone else on here. We are out $250 in tips. We travel with our 3 children who are 8, 15, and 19. So with the cost of $2,500 for the cruise I do understand what you are saying.