Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Beginner

Default Upgrade to Balcony?

I'm booked with an interior room. Is it too late to upgrade to a balcony?
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Upgrade to Balcony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarple
I'm booked with an interior room. Is it too late to upgrade to a balcony?
Are you willing to give them more money? When is your cruise? If they have balconies room available they would be more then happy to upgrade (as long as you pay) to a balcony.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

It all depends on if there is balcony cabins left and what fare code you booked. You will have to call your TA or PVP to find out what is avilable and what the cost will be to upgrade.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Beginner

Yes, I'm willing to pay for it. We don't cruise until September and it still shows balcony rooms available online. I'm just not sure if I would need to pay the difference between the price I paid and the current balcony rate or the difference between the current price for my statement room category and the current balcony room.
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarple
Yes, I'm willing to pay for it. We don't cruise until September and it still shows balcony rooms available online. I'm just not sure if I would need to pay the difference between the price I paid and the current balcony rate or the difference between the current price for my statement room category and the current balcony room.
That's a good question. Did you book early saver fare? Did you recieve a refund for a price adjustment? My guess (I could be wrong) is you pay the difference bewteen the cost you paid on the interior and the current cost of the balcony. Did you book with a TA? If not then call Carnival directly and ask about it. Good luck, I love balcony rooms. The cat 9A is more expensive, but it has an extended balcony. I have mostly done 8As because that is what I can afford.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Admiral

You can upgrade not matter which fare category you booked. You will have to pay the difference, but if this isn't an issue for you then you will be able to get a good balcony stateroom as long as you are careful in selecting. Remember, the only equally good views on a ship are from an inside stateroom, so select your balcony location carefully and call to confirm that the stateroom is still available(the online system doesn't necessarily reflect the most current availability).
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:34 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

even if you can't upgrade to a balcony at least see if you can get an oceanview - my cruisemates didn't realize we had oceanviews and couldn't believe the size of Carnival's cabins. They expected a hole in the wall. When you book your next cruise, you'll be a past guest and if you book early enough, you may save some money.

Have fun!

Old May 24th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

As long as you see available balconies, you should easily be able to upgrade your cabin.

Let us know what your t/a was able to do for you.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When the final payment is due, many cabins open up, due to cancellations, so if one is not available now, there will be I will bet on that...selection of a balcony cabin is easy, so, not to worry

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Beginner

We upgraded a week ahead of our cruise. Our cruise agent called with an opening (we didnt request this). We had partial view due to a life boat. Since we had a 7day cruise change from a 5 to Mexico, I decided we could use the extra room, couch w/coffee table. After all was said and done we agreed that our stateroom from last year with a picture window did just fine, especially since we didn't have an obscured view and we were at level U. Have fun!
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:38 PM
First Mate

If it’s your first cruise, don’t upgrade. Enjoy your interior room, enjoy the ship, find reasons to be on the deck all the time. Sleep late, the sun won't bother you here.

On your second cruise, if you feel inclined, get an ocean view room. Enjoy the sunshine and view. Explore the ship, go to all the shows. Get up early and enjoy the sun rise from the top most deck.

On or after your 3rd cruise, go ahead and book a balcony. Uh, oh. Now forget exploring the ship and going to shows. Enjoy the views and the sounds of the rushing water. The peace and tranquility of the sea. Watching the ship enter a new port every day in your jammies. Eat breakfast watching the sun rise in your own private space. Run inside and grab your camera for great shots that you would not have gotten if you had to run from the Lido deck to your room for your camera. Look for dolphins and flying fish. Watch the stragglers running back to the ship in port.

Enjoy the other types of rooms first. They’re never the same once you’ve gone Balcony.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Actually booking an inside is not the best option for everyone on their first cruise. I would need a minimum ocean view if at all possible due to claustrophobia.
Old June 16th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Admiral

Well, through a series of misunderstandings etc... on our first cruise we upgraded from a balcony to a cat 11 (only 80pp),
And now, I have no problem not ever experiencing the inside or ocean veiw cabins....
I don't have to book the cat 11 everytime, but I need/love my balcony.
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old June 16th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Yeoman

You may or you may not enjoy to have an interior cabin on your first cruise. If you enjoy it, great! If you don't enjoy it you may decide that you never want to cruise again and then you miss some of the the best things in life!

I should never recommend a firsttime cruiser to book a cabin without at least a window. The difference in price between the interior cabins and the cheapest cabins with a window is normally not very big either so go for at least an oceanview cabin.

We have enjoyed our balconycabins much in the past but on our last cruise we had a suite...
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

I had an inside cabin on my first cruise, and I really enjoyed it. We sailed from NYC on the Triumph and had an inside cabin on the Riviera deck. I was very impressed with the size of the cabin, but then again, I had nothing to compare it to. I didn't mind an inside cabin back then, I was too excited and wouldn't have minded being on the lowest deck with the employees if it came to that.

When I booked my second cruise on the Ecstasy from Long Beach, I booked an oceanview cabin, and I've never turned back. I love to sit on the bed and just gaze out onto the water. I refuse to pay for an inside cabin. Unless someone else is paying for my cruise I will always go with an outside cabin. My goal is to be able to have enough money to pay for a balcony. Until that time comes, I will always book an oceanview cabin on the Riviera deck. I think it's the quietest deck on the ship.
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:58 AM
First Mate

Default Booking Balcony

Talk with your travel agent. You will have to pay however on some cruises we find the extra cost is well worth it.
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Have to agree with you Bill, we actually spend a good amount of time on the balcony, well worth the extra cost.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Passenger

One thing I haven't seen mentioned: I always travel with my daughter, who is a smoker, and I am not. She smokes out on the balcony and keeps our room smoke-free. We would never sailed without a balcony.
Barbara

Pride 10/03
Triumph 5/04
Triumph 4/07
Splendor 4/0
Dream 5/10
Old July 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

We just got off The Inspiration Suite V22 and thought this cabin was not worth the money they charge for the balcony.

We were lucky because they took off like $300 dollars for each of us because we were working the early saver discounts.

Last May we got off the Glory had a suite on the empress deck it had three separate rooms and the balcony was huge. That was worth the money.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011