Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:15 PM
First Mate

Default Tropical Storm ANA!!!???

Here in Florida weather forecasters have their eye on a tropical disturbance just east of Cuba that some are predicting to become T.S. ANA sometime between Wed-Fri traveling right over the Bahamas and coming ashore on the east coast of Florida.

CRAP!!

I am slated to sail on the Sensation this coming Thursday and heading for Nassau. This doesn't look good at all.

How does Carnival handle a weather related cancellation and refunds??

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Admiral

From my understanding, they will probably offer you the chance to rebook or a refund in the event of inclement weather. After all, we cannot control the greatest mother of all, Mother Nature(or as the Greeks called her, Gaia).
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just started reading your post and the weather report was coming on, kinda funny. Any tropical weather here, New Orleans, will always be at the top of the news. They said here it's too early to tell what will happen, but some are putting it in the Gulf of Mexico. A plane may go up tomorrow. Keep our fingers crossed it doesn't develop into anyhting except needed rain for Florida. Man this is too early to start hurricane season already. Official start is June 1st.

ShotoJuku, they may just reroute you further south to miss the weather. I don't see them letting you cancel or rebook.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
From my understanding, they will probably offer you the chance to rebook or a refund in the event of inclement weather.
Unless the ship is unable to sail from it's embarkation port there are no refunds or choices to rebook. They will certainly alter the itinerary if they deem safety is an issue... but the ship will very likely sail.

This sort of things happens every hurricane season. It's still a couple of weeks until hurricane season officially begins. Hope this isn't an indicator of a busy season.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Admiral

I know what you mean. My ship leaves at the aft end of hurricane season. Hope one doesn't strike in late October.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Familiar Face

UUHHHGGGG!!!!!

Say it ain't so SHO!!!! Say it ain't SO!!!

Well - as long as I still get to cruise somewhere - I'll be ok.

So - do they still have games and stuff when it rains???
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM
First Mate

The local news channels are calling it a 50/50 shot and displaying the infamous "spaghetti model" tracks for what could become a TS.

Either way, the weather forecast looks quite soggy.

Old May 19th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Familiar Face

From Carnival about Hurricanes....

"What about hurricanes?

Hurricane season encompasses the months of June through November. Due to the unpredictable nature of hurricanes it may not be possible to give information about itinerary changes in advance of the sailing. Carnival's main priority is the safety of our guests and crew, as well as the vessel. It is rare for a cancellation to occur due to an impending hurricane. In some instances an itinerary deviation is implemented to avoid a storm. Hurricanes have been known to change their course drastically at the last minute. Guests that have any questions should contact our Reservations department the day prior to sailing, as that is when we will have definitive information. We will always make decisions that assure the cruise experience will be a great one and that all on board are totally safe. "
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Admiral

ShotoJuku - surely you have been around here to know that is why we buy insurance? If the ship can get in and out of Port Canaveral it will sail. If they have to cancel a port you get $20 OBC.

Good luck - I remember watching the hurricane updates when I lived in Central Fla.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd
ShotoJuku - surely you have been around here to know that is why we buy insurance?
Hey Bob - I was under the impression that travel insurance was for times when passengers needed to cancel a cruise for some kind of emergency/illness.....or does that also cover "acts of God" forcing the cancellation of a cruise?

Old May 19th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Admiral

If the line cancels the cruise it's on them, but any incidentals are up to you. I "think" most insurance policies will cover those if the line cancels on you. Some policies will let you add "Cancel Any Reason" options that covers items that are not a part of the normal policy. Of course it costs more and you usually have to get CAR within the first few days after you book your cruise.

Good luck - hope Ana goes to visit somebody else.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Captain

I have said it before but I refuse to sail after the first of May until Christmas in the Carribean. The uncertainty and tension of wondering what the weather will do always upsets me. I hate the drama and the unknown. Give me a late January cruise when everybody is at home working off their holiday pounds and slouching on the sofa watching the NFL and I am one happy camper.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Bottom line is it is unpredictable what the cruise line will do. After all, they seem to do things at their own whim when it is most advantageous to them.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Briguy, you are missing a big chunk of the year, and the odds are in your favor...I have cruised in October/November, many times and only once, since 1990, was there any inkling of a problem, and it turned out, it didn't come to fruition...I am not a gmabler, but I have rolled the crusie dice often

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
First Mate

From what I can see now the forecast seems to indicate that the system will still be plenty wet but should not develop into a TS.

The only wild card now is just how long the system will be lurking in the Florida Straits before it heads towards the Gulf and across the State.

Old May 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Familiar Face

My son is supposed to be on the Holiday, going out of Mobile this Saturday, with the new itenerary of an overnight stay in Nassau. It's not looking too good for that at this time...wonder if Carnival will reroute them again? Guess we won't know until the day before? when we call to make sure the cruise is not cancelled?
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Familiar Face

You can call the day before....
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM
First Mate

Made it to Port Canaveral, heavy rain (on and off), oh well - we sail tomorrow.

Old May 21st, 2009, 07:56 AM
First Mate

Good "Soggy" Morning All -

The rain and thunderstorms have continued pretty much unabated since yesterday and overnight. We stayed at the Radisson Resort At The Port (very nice indeed) but were unable to use the pool or otherwise go out without getting wet. The Radisson does offer FREE PARKING while you're on your cruise and a FREE SHUTTLE to and from the port and hotel.

In case you're interested, the Radisson has a webcam on their roof that has a nice view of the port area (if you use te controls correctly). Here is the site: http://www.opusad.com/radissonwebcam/ .

Despite the gloomy and soggy forecast we shall endevour to have a great cruise nevertheless; see you when we return!

Old May 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

When I went on the Glory a few years ago. Hurricane Ophelia was hanging just off shore and supposed to make landfall in the Port Canaveral area. I called Carnival to ask what we should do. I was told that if the storm comes close enough so the ships cannot enter the port then we should go to the port anyway. They would have busses waiting to take us to Fort Lauderdale. Glory would go there if it was impossible to make port in Port Canaveral. Fortunately Ophelia was a lady and politely backed off and let us have our cruise.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 25th, 2009, 08:23 AM
First Mate

Returned from a mostly cloudy/soggy cruise on Sensation yesterday. There were some very brief pockets of hazy sun, some drizzle, light-rain, and a couple of down pours along the way.

The first night was rough as the ship just seemed to bounce, rock, and otherwise roll towards Nassau. I saw several "accidents" on the decks throughout the ship and a few clean up crews in cabins scrubbing carpets clean. There were sea-sick bags ready for use layed out in the common restroom areas and a few just scattered about the ship for handy use.

The first night was bad enough that all of the shows were cancelled too.

I'll write a review and post it in the next few days......later.

Old May 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Captain

Just got back on the Holiday (May 18-23) and we were unable to dock in Freeport due to the weather. Overall weather on the 5 day cruise was pretty bad with rough sailing (particularly at night).

We seem to be a magnet for bad sailing weather so we were not surprised to hear about a possible T.D. during our May cruise. We sailed out of NO on the last ship out before Katrina hit in August 2005 and lost our car there. We tried again Oct 2005 out of Galveston and Wilma hit. We were the last ship out of Cozumel before Wilma destroyed it. We booked again late January 2006 and sent e-mails to our friends and family to prepare for a January hurricane - since we were sailing again in a few days. The next morning the newspaper headline was "rare tropical depression forms in gulf." We were the first ship to leave Canaveral after the 10 weeks in 2004 of hurricanes all over the Bahamas and we sailed from Canaveral in 2008 with threats of Hannah and Gustav all around us.

Now everyone wants to know when we are sailing so they can be sure to book the same time (NOT)!

I have even written to Carnival to tell them that, with our luck, it would behoove them to pay us to stay off of Carnival and sail with another cruise line. So far they haven't taken me up on it though.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old August 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM
First Mate

With a sense of irony T.S. ANA raises her ugly head yet again....

Back in May a tropical system was supposed to form into T.S. ANA as my Wife and I sailed on the Sensation. Fortunately it did not shape up and rained itself out.

However.....fate is a funny thing.

My son and his buddies are sailing on the Imagination on Monday and what is now the official T.S. ANA is forecast to hit Florida during their return to Miami.

Talk about irony!

Old August 15th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
I know what you mean. My ship leaves at the aft end of hurricane season. Hope one doesn't strike in late October.
Late October should be just fine. Maybe a slight altering of the itinerary...worst case scenario at most.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Admiral

When are we going to learn NOT to plan vacations during the heart of hurricane season ?? While they official proclaim hurricane season to be between June and November, August and September is when the USA mainland gets hit.
Guess who has a trip planned ? Yep....ME !
Yeah it's for 12-19 September, but it IS a New England cruise. So hopefully a storm won't hit that far North. Of course I live in Mississippi, so just my luck a hurricane will shut down the airport and I'll still miss my trip.
Remind me not to book a cruise for September again! Worry worry worry !

/ticker.png">
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Ha. Me and the lovely Mrs. Jones are sailing Glory on Saturday, 22nd of August. You noticed I said SAILING! If I can get to the ship, and she's there, I'll be sailing. No worries, and I couldn't care less if we miss a port or two. (in fact, that would give me a few extra bucks to spend aboard). I love to sail, and have been aboard through many, many storms, so I know the Captain will keep us safe. We've got plenty of Bonine, and are going to have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Admiral

do they have tropical storms in Rome in October
Old August 15th, 2009, 02:45 PM
First Mate

Booked on Liberty out of Miami on Aug 29th. If we can get to the port, and the ship sails, I don't really care where we go Any day at sea is better than one ashore especially in Central Florida in the summer

Need some cruise help?
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Familiar Face

Well, gee... I was happy to see TD2 fizzle out on Thursday but then it reformed by late Friday. We're leaving from Galveston tomorrow and will be in Jamaica on Wednesday. I hope Ana tracks to the northern part of its forecast's range of error, else we'll have to put up with bad weather. Thursday is the important day for me with Grand Cayman stop as the high light of this trip. I certainly hope the seas are calm enough for tenders and Sting Ray City.
Carnival Fantasy Aug 2008
Carnival Esctacy Aug 2007
Celebrity Century Jan 1999
Old August 16th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Ana is old news:

Tropical Storm Bill is expected to become the first Atlantic hurricane of the season.

NOAA Tropical Storm Bill

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me