Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Admiral

Default non-cruisers bore me to tears.

OK , maybe not to tears but to the point of frustration never the less.
While on-board, most that I meet are.
>> gregarious
>> fun loving
>> polite
>> interesting to converse with
>> adventuresome
>> live & let live

Once one debarks the world becomes overly serious and far too many are unfriendly, rude, shallow, and downright boring. Surprising numbers seem content in their drab existence. It causes me culture shock at time. I so desperately wish to converse with somebody fun or interesting when not cruising, but they are hard to find at times. I grow tired of always being the one who always facilitates conversation.
Someday it would be cool to run away and live in this la la land of gregarious bliss.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Personally, my life is so full of negativity anyway I don't have any option to be upbeat and fun.
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Captain

Thoth

Remember.....It's 5 O'clock Somewhere

Irish 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Admiral

That's exactly why I'm thinking of working "part time" for HAL when I retire, just so I can be around all the folks who are "cruisers" and are upbeat, and fun loving and know how to enjoy life.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

exactly why i love cruising so much. i do not meet the same people where i live as i do on a cruise. on a cruise i tend to find such a great atmosphere, people who love to have fun and *for the most part* are super friendly, and i have an incredible time. home is boring in comparison
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Familiar Face

Thoth,
I love meeting new people from different parts of the US and the world. This is one of the reasons I like to take cruise's. There are just some people who hate to reveal themselfs. Like your going to stalk them so something. I try to make some small talk and if they are short or uninterested I just go on having fun...with out them. But I have meet someone wonderful people, some I still have contact with other just a sweet memory. People today are so busy and some are just loners...other's just don't want to be friendly....but if you run into me I will chat your ears off....

Irish Sea Mom
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:17 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813
Personally, my life is so full of negativity anyway I don't have any option to be upbeat and fun.
I so sorry you life is so bad...
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Admiral

I can't cruise full time cause I would miss my animals too much. Thoth get some dogs the people at the dog park are super friendly. They only know me as Maggie and Buddy Boy's mom.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Admiral

bobsfamily, my life is nowhere near bad. My main career is just one where people here no more often than they hear yes, so people in that field have to keep a positive outlook. The upside to my main career is I have plenty of free time to cruise.
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Familiar Face

Brad, have you cruised yet? Your countdown clock shows u waiting for your first cruise ever? I hope it will be a wonderful experience for you
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Admiral

That will be my first cruise. Like I said, a non-cruiser transitioning to cruiser.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I can't cruise full time cause I would miss my animals too much. Thoth get some dogs the people at the dog park are super friendly. They only know me as Maggie and Buddy Boy's mom.
good advice, but I do have a cat though. 8) He's good company....nags a little too much but a good buddy just the same.

/ticker.png">
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
That will be my first cruise. Like I said, a non-cruiser transitioning to cruiser.
You will have a blast. but you might just get hooked like the rest of us.

/ticker.png">
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Admiral

Already hooked.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish
Thoth

Remember.....It's 5 O'clock Somewhere

Irish 8)
Songs of inspiration 8)
"The sun is hot and that ol' clock is movin' slow...And so am I
Workday passes like molassas in wintertime But it's July
Gettin' paid by the hour and older by the minute....My boss just pushed me over the limit....I'd like to call him somethin' But think I'll just call it a day...,.
Pour me somethin' tall and strong...Make it a hurricane before I go insane
It's only half past twelve, but I don't care It's five o'clock somewhere "
Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffet

"Driving down the interstate...Running thirty minutes late
Singin' Margaritaville and minding my own ....Some foreign car drivin' dude with the road rage attitude...Pulled up beside me talkin' on his cell phone...He started yelling at me like I did something wrong
He flipped me the bird an' then he was gone.....
Some beach Somewhere
There's a big umbrella casting shade over an empty chair
Palm trees are growin' and a warm breezes a blowing
I picture myself right there.....on some beach, somewhere"
Blake Shelton

/ticker.png">
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thoth:

I can't agree with you on this one. I too find that people on a cruise are overall fun and outgoing but I also find this everywhere in life. Just like on a cruise not everyone is fun and outgoing but most people are pretty good.

Perhaps if we "cruise addicted" people didn't always talk about cruising, other people may be more interested in talking to us.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishseamom
Thoth,
I love meeting new people from different parts of the US and the world. This is one of the reasons I like to take cruise's. There are just some people who hate to reveal themselfs. Like your going to stalk them so something. I try to make some small talk and if they are short or uninterested I just go on having fun...with out them. But I have meet someone wonderful people, some I still have contact with other just a sweet memory. People today are so busy and some are just loners...other's just don't want to be friendly....but if you run into me I will chat your ears off....

Irish Sea Mom
I personally am profoundly shy. After 27 years of teaching, I've gotten out of a lot of it, but it takes a lot of doing for me to relax with strangers....I just don't know what to say, and I freeze up.
Reading all of your posts has made me think cruising is just what I need, and I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to it....a whole ship load of gregarious people! Chihuahua! I can't wait!
Take care, all of you.....
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Passenger

Quote:
I agree with katlady, thoth.....I have 2 cats and 3 Labs.....and I have to say, my Labs are even sweeter than my cats.
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:
good advice, but I do have a cat though. 8) He's good company....nags a little too much but a good buddy just the same.
thoth, I teach English, and I had my kids writing "I Remember" papers. I put them out on the wall, and our orchestra teacher (who is 6'4" and a member of the National Rifle Association.....a dove to him is a target, not a peace symbol...go figure, that juxtaposition of characteristics has always intrigued me, and the kids, too.)
This teacher saw the papers on the wall and read them. The next morning his cat....his "good buddy"....was killed. He sat down at 5 am and wrote out his grief in an "I Remember" paper of his own.....and read it to the kids. It moved them, and me, profoundly.

I wish you and your good buddy a long life together. I said my 3 Labs are sweeter than my two cats, but I have to take that back. Big orange Rummy meets me at my car every afternoon, and white and fluffy Bitsy Baby rolls over on her back, offering me her tummy to scratch.....and she is terrified of people. There's nothing like a good buddy.
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Admiral

I get what you are saying, Thoth, but I think that part of it is that most conversations on a ship are with people who are on vacation. They can be very different day to day. Since we live in Florida, we do sometimes meet people on cruises who live close enough to get together with at home. And, I am always amazed how different the conversations are from what we talked about on the cruise. On the cruise, you have lots of easy, and light, topics, such as the ports, activities, entertainers, food, etc. Back home you have to work a little harder to find topics and sometimes they can backfire. Especially when you start getting into deeper waters, so to speak. But other times, not....thankfully!
Marty
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaintexas
Quote:
I agree with katlady, thoth.....I have 2 cats and 3 Labs.....and I have to say, my Labs are even sweeter than my cats.
If anything Bobby ( an American bobtail mix) is too sweet. Those who created the stereotype that cats are "aloof" has not met this one.
"Shut up" leave me alone" "stop that" that's what he frequently hears
Not to offend any dog owners but cats seem to possess better manners. At least they make better neighbors. I've had quit a bit of trouble in my neighborhood with noisy dogs. If these dogs had gotten out...they wouldn't have been very friendly.
On a cruise i guess cats & most small dogs would be the wine & cheese crowd to Europe, while certain breeds of bigger dogs would be spring break in Cancun.

/ticker.png">
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:48 AM
Admiral

My cats are certainly aloof though. We have a 20 lb black American short hair that usually keeps to herself or is just mean, unless she wants something. We also have a tortise shell colored cat(not sure on breed) that just shows favoritism to the other person I reside with, and she is my cat.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM
Familiar Face

I don't think cruising people are any different from non-cruisers. You'll find all kinds of people with widely varied personalities, interests and lifestyles anywhere you go. I have friends and family who won't set foot on a cruise, they simply enjoy other modes of travel better. This doesn't mean they're boring people or somehow don't enjoy life. Some will be more interesting than others, that's life. If you find yourself constantly surrounded by negativity maybe you're emitting that vibe without realizing it.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have two Persians and one of them has a mx of a Calfornia Surfer Dude and a little bit of Casanova!! (He's a chilled, laid back lover boy who loves everyone he meets!!!).

I'm friendlier on a cruise ship cuz I can be, at home/work I'll retreat into my shell and stay there...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
Admiral

I have to say that I'm sure that people who have never cruised, and who are not in the least interested in cruising probably would be are bored to tears if they heard people talking about cruising all the time. Ok, sure they are crazy, but they would be bored just the same.

Like anything else in life, either you like something, love it, hate it or are indifferent to it. Cruising. Baseball. Figure skating. Whatever. I think that the people you tend to interact with - on land or at sea - depends on your circumstances and yor attitude. Remember, a cruise ship is 3,000 or so people from all walks of life. It is comprised of all types.

There are people dragged on a cruise because of a family reunion or their significant other, who would rather not be there. Okay, I'm sure they are few and far between, but they do exist.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraway
I don't think cruising people are any different from non-cruisers. You'll find all kinds of people with widely varied personalities, interests and lifestyles anywhere you go. I have friends and family who won't set foot on a cruise, they simply enjoy other modes of travel better. This doesn't mean they're boring people or somehow don't enjoy life. Some will be more interesting than others, that's life. If you find yourself constantly surrounded by negativity maybe you're emitting that vibe without realizing it.
Not all non-cruisers are drab. There are plenty of fun people who don't cruise. I know that. It's just that SOME people I know need to chill out/loosen up in some way. Maybe a cruise would help them ?
I have co-workers who complain and talk shop exclusively. They were the point of reference who are content with their drab existence.
As a rule I attempt to get to know others and few ever return the favor, so it isn't me emitting bad vibes.

/ticker.png">
Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
My cats are certainly aloof though. We have a 20 lb black American short hair that usually keeps to herself or is just mean, unless she wants something. We also have a tortise shell colored cat(not sure on breed) that just shows favoritism to the other person I reside with, and she is my cat.
It seems that cats & dogs are much like people....each has their own personality.

/ticker.png">