Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default What was your worst cruise?

I have yet to experince one. But if you have what was it and would you repeat it to see if it changed? 8)
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Probably the NCL Sky when it first came to Miami. We had heard going in that things were not up to par and they were not. Although many things needed improvement we had a great time. It was a super value and I would not hesitate to go on the Sky again.
We don't have bad cruises. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Admiral

the last one I took with my ex. The cruise itself was great. I don't have that problem anymore.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
the last one I took with my ex. The cruise itself was great. I don't have that problem anymore.

i have never had one either. things have happened that i didn't like, but that's everywhere~can't control everything. for the most part my cruises have been fantastic.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
First Mate

Quote:
the last one I took with my ex. The cruise itself was great. I don't have that problem anymore. LOL
LMAO!!! Lost some "weight" did you?

We had a "BAD" cruise way back in 1992 BUT now laugh about it all the time... in fact we remember more about it than the "good" ones.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Admiral

A long, long time ago, me and the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) sailed the Carnival Festival on a 3 day, with a neighbor. The ship was full, and it happened that the drain in our shower was backing up,,,with very undesirable "stuff". The ships maintenance staff did everything they could, but the problem persisted.. We finally stuffed towels into the drain, but the odor was still there. (Needless to say, we didn't spend much time in the cabin.) When we got home, Carnival refunded 100% of our fare. That ship is long gone, but not forgotten.
In all fairness to Carnival, my absolute BEST cruise was also aboard Carnival.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My worst cruise was the one I took from Boston to Bermuda on Celebrity Meridian. The cruise itself was not so bad but the ship was an ancient tub and it was filled with lunatics. That was back in the days when smoking was still allowed in the public rooms. I think it was 1992. One woman aboard made it her mission to corner and embarrass every smoker aboard the ship. Almost every time I saw her it was because we could hear her tirade against some poor smoker that she was able to corner. I saw her do this at the very least 7 times. There was another woman aboard who wore very strange tacky looking outfits. She made it a point to stand out in the crowd. She was very loud and very pushy. On passenger talent night she she arrived in the showroom dressed as a baker and lugging a bakers box with her. As the show began the Cruise Director came out onstage and was speaking to the audience. Suddenly this woman stood up and tossed the pie at the Cruise Director. It hit him in the face and splattered all over the place. It was very obvious from his face that it was not part of the show. He was very angry and it showed. He left the stage and went to clean up. In the meantime crew came to clean up the mess. The woman had not the sense to apologise but sat there. She was laughing and giggling to her friends about her clever trick. Most of the rest of the audience sat there in uncomfortable silence.
I won't say I will never cruise with Celebrity again but on the whole I was not terribly impressed with the cruise. I thought it was terribly overpriced and not any better than any other ship I had been on. For a 6 night cruise it was by far the most I ever paid for any cruise. The ship was docked out at the Naval Dockyard in Bermuda. I would have preffered being in Hamilton. We chose the cruise because at the time we lived in NH and Boston was convenient.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Captain

Never had a worse but the best in my eyes is always the next one!
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:31 PM
First Mate

Never had a bad cruise.

Just one bad port of call so far.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica.
The place was horrible, a nightmare.

We will never book another cruise going to Jamaica and pray that we never get rerouted to Jamaica due to weather. (because it will become just another sea day for us)

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We had a a good time on a bad ship, and crew..I called it the scow, the Tropicale....it was doing the southern itin at the time, and due to the way the ship booked due to several reasons, there was a large group of non English speaking passengers, who did nothing to control their children..

This was Easter week...the kids ran screaming down the theater aisles to then hold seats up front, for when their parents sauntered in, then ran screaming back up the aisles, when they left..when they did stay, they, actually climbed on the stage while the entertainers performed.

Easter Monday, in French Guadaloupe, is a beach holiday, and all the stores are closed. Instead of telling anyone this, they sold the excursions, with nary a word, and, when they docked, I thought there was going to be a mutiny...when asked why the pax, were not told, they just shrugged, and said, they didn't know..I asked, what did you do last year? I got glassy eyed stares.

The ship was old and dirty, and the crew needed a vacation..BUT, we made the best of it, and, and enjoyed anyway....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsfamily
Quote:
LMAO!!! Lost some "weight" did you?

We had a "BAD" cruise way back in 1992 BUT now laugh about it all the time... in fact we remember more about it than the "good" ones.
Yep... Every cruise after that has been fantastic.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our worst cruise was on Celebrity, Zenith, in 1998. The cruise left from Acapulco, Mexico with stops in Huadalgo, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama Canal and Aruba. In Huadalgo, the crew was washing windows on the outside, suspended by ropes, when a rope broke and one of the window washers fell to his death. We were only told that there was an accident and we would remain in Huadalgo pending an investigation, which lasted 8 hours. All of our future ports were cut short. In Costa Rica, we took a Celebrity all-day excursion, by bus, from the port to the Capital city of San Jose. Because of the bad road conditions, we were late at every stop on this tour, and arrived back at the ship 4 hours late.The ride back was terrifying because it was dark, the road was narrow, and we barely hugged the road as we went up and down mountians and hairpin curves. They held the ship for us, and when we finally arrived, the passengers were cheering our safe return. That is why I am a firm believer in ship-sponsored tours in places that you are not familiar with. The port that we were most anxious to see was Aruba. Because of all the setbacks, we had only 3 hours there, barely enough time to get off the ship and walk through the shopping area. I was so disappointed, that all of us on that trip took a land-based vacation to Aruba the next year to see just what we had missed.

Wrote to Celebrity on this issue and never received a reply. Took the matter to the travel agent, who also had no success in getting a response from them. It was a very unfortunate situation, resulting in a crew member's death, which has left us with no fond memories of this trip on the Zenith.

Granny of the Seas
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I asked, what did you do last year? I got glassy eyed stares.
Different crew last year - different crew next year. Somebody should write so notes

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM
First Mate

Mine was NCL Sea years ago. The only thing I enjoyed about that ship was the view.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Admiral

I've had 2 bad cruises out of 40. One was a singles only cruise on Carnival's Carnivale. A very old ship, tiny cabins. Food was cold. But, it was super cheap and I was single at the time, so managed to have a good time. Would not go on Carnival again for years. Now, they are my favorite cruise line.
Also had a bad one on Princess. The ship (can't remember which one) was scheduled for dry dock. They had a problem with the ship that was in dry dock the prior week, so Princess had to wait. Rather than leave the ship empty, they improvised a cruise and offered it cheap. We never saw our cabin steward and could not get a response on anything through the purser. No ice, no clean towels, nothing. And, the food was awful. But, while I understood that the crew were unhappy that their time off from dry dock was changed and many lost money because they had made plans, it was not the passengers fault that any of that happened. Yet, their attitude was surly and rude. It was the only time I have been in a hurry to end a cruise. But, yes, I would give Princess another try since I realize that it was an unusual set of circumstances. Haven't done it yet because we love Carnival and HAL.
Marty
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Passenger

Anytime we are cruisin it's not a bad cruise. Now I was on the ecstacy in 2006 and went through some rough weather but that's about it. Happy Cruisin!!!
Fantasy Jan 7, 2010
Triumph Feb 20, 2010
Glory 2008
Fantasy 2008
Holiday 2006
Ecstacy 2006
Sensation 2005
Conquest 2004
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Admiral

For me it was my second cruise on R.C. Didn't like the ship we found it to be set up funky and on the boring side. Food wasn't very good either.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

In the early 90's we cruised on the Carnivale. We had a cabin w/a metal floor and the stool was located in the shower stall. We had beds that did not convert to a queen. In hindsight we really liked that cruise BUT to many of the other passengers they were not all that happy. I guess times
have changed and that is good! We are loyal to Carnival but have been on
NCL, Celebrity and Dolphin (thats another story) and we enjoyed them all.

To us any cruise is good, never really had a BAD one!

Lee & Kelli
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Admiral

We had one bad cruise and it was Princess cruise lines on the Sapphire Princess. 'Nuff said.