Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Does the CD, matter?

Do you care when you book a cruise, who the Cruise Director is? Would you change a cruise if it did? Has he/she ever impacted how you enjoy a cruise, and when you remember your past cruise, can you even remember who the CD was?

I may be in the minority, but for me, the CD has no impact on my enjoyment onboard..Over the years of posting, some do seem to have a following. I missed John Heald on our CM cruise last winter, so maybe my answer would have changed, but, I dunno........ You tell me.....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Admiral

I would not book a cruise to specifically sail with a CD....but how well the Cruise Director does their job is very important to us.

We have a son with Autism and the CD emails us Funship Freddie's schedule. so that we can avoid where he will be. The CD also notifies the Entertainment Staff and Camp Carnival to keep an eye out for our son.

They make him feel very comfortable on board...which makes for a great vacation for us.

Some have done their job so well...that he has gotten to be a "normal kid" for a week.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would say, that caring CD gets my vote too, for going the extra mile for your son to have a great cruise experience....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 24th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Passenger

While it is nice to have a good CD, it doesn't effect our decision one way or the other...

Carnival Celebration 09/06/2004
Carnival Elation 08/28/2005
Carnival Conquest 03/05/2006
Carnival Glory 10/07/2006
Carnival Conquest 04/22/2007
Carnival Ecstasy 11/26/2007
Carnival Glory 08/16/2008
Carnival Conquest 12/14/2008
Carnival Ecstasy 04/18/09
Back To Back
Carnival Ecstasy 04/23/09
Carnival Triumph 04/10/10
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Admiral

The cruise director has absolutely zero bearing on my booking or not booking a cruise. I honestly could care less if they even had that position or not.
I couldn't even begin to guess who the C.D. was on our cruise in Jan.
Nothing against them but I just don't feel I need one to tell me what to do, announce the gold sales, bingo, etc.
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Admiral

No, he or she has no impact on my bookings.
Once on-board I do enjoy their company.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Since I often "do" the Carnival Legends show, or the passengers talent show, the C.D. does have an effect on my personal enjoyment of the cruise, as he/she gets involved in the preparing and presentation of these shows. Other than that, NO, they don't make much difference in my enjoyment of a cruise, one way or the other. I been aboard with C.D.'s who seem to be everywhere, and always smiling and saying hello to everyone, and conversely, been aboard with some who seem to go out of their way to avoid any contact with the passengers at all. I've actually seen them duck into doorways when they see someone coming down the hall. Truly amazing.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
First Mate

Would not book my cruise on who is the CD however a good CD can make the cruise much more enjoyable based on his enthusiasm and being visual throughout the cruise. With a good CD in most cases his staff will follow his attitude and this is where the difference lies. Remember this staff does reports directly to him.Thru the years have noticed that the good CD,s will control the audience before the shows in the main lounge each night and this seperates them ibn my mind.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
First Mate

Would not book my cruise on who is the CD however a good CD can make the cruise much more enjoyable based on his enthusiasm and being visual throughout the cruise. With a good CD in most cases his staff will follow his attitude and this is where the difference lies. Remember this staff does reports directly to him.Thru the years have noticed that the good CD,s will control the audience before the shows in the main lounge each night and this seperates them in my mind.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Does the CD, matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Do you care when you book a cruise, who the Cruise Director is? Would you change a cruise if it did? Has he/she ever impacted how you enjoy a cruise, and when you remember your past cruise, can you even remember who the CD was?

I may be in the minority, but for me, the CD has no impact on my enjoyment onboard..Over the years of posting, some do seem to have a following. I missed John Heald on our CM cruise last winter, so maybe my answer would have changed, but, I dunno........:) You tell me.....
Not to me! The only CD I even faintly remember is John Heald, only because he played a very funny game with a couple of the passengers which lasted the entire cruise.
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Admiral

One other thing that is kinda neat....

since we have been cruising with Carnival for so many years and have gotten to know the Social Hosts etc...it has been nice to watch them rise up through the ranks.

There are now at least 5 current Cruise Directors that we sailed with as Social Hosts. We keep in touch with them when we are home.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Captain

I've never paid much attention to who is the CD. I lost interest in them back in the day when the CD was also the "Super Shopper" and you could not tell where the useful port information left off and the commercial started. I believe the CD's job is more important for what you don't see than for what you do see. They have a big job to do, and if you see the CD around the ship alot, they must have a very good staff backing them up and allowing them to mingle with the guests. JMHO
Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Familiar Face

I didn't give much thought to the cruise directors until we had a good one on our third cruise, on the Paradise with Jeff Bronson. I thought he was hilarious (my wife thought he was a little too corny); he was totally approachable and was always out and about around the ship. I wondered when he ever got any sleep! Anyway, I thought he was really good and he made our cruise much more enjoyable. One of my favorite things that Jeff did on that cruise was hold an informal question and answer session in the show lounge one afternoon, with himself and several staff members up front to take any and all questions from guests. It was a fun session and I've never seen another CD do the same thing.

Paul Santley was another good one that I enjoyed cruising with on the Triumph; didn't hurt that he treated me to a couple beers in one of the bars!

Who the CD is wouldn't influence my decision on any particular cruise, but a good CD can make the cruise much more enjoyable.

Andy
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Beginner

Default CD

First cruise on Elation, had the best. Stu (Stuart Dunn) and his Fun Guy Jeff.

I think they made a big difference. Always saw them everywhere, mingling and helping out guests, and the added to the energy of the cruise. I saw them morning until late into the night. I felt I was more informed on this cruise as well.

Second cruise on Imagination... ummm.. CD kinda sucked. I think that's partly why I spent more time inside my stateroom. Then again, I noticed that folks on this cruise didn't participate as much.. might be an east coast vs. west coast thing. I felt kinda "lost" on this cruise.. info was not as available.

If you are into the activities vs. just relaxing.. I think the CD makes a difference. He/She affects the "mood" of the cruise.. but it's ultimately up to you to make the cruise experience whatever you want it to be..
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Simple answer. No we don't care who the CD is.

So far we have really only been on one ship where the CD was any good and that was last year on the Destiny. Jorge was good and all over and you knew it.

The other cruises, I could name a single one. None made any good impression.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old June 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't even pay attention the CD on my first cruise because I was so overwhelmed with cruising in general and checking things out on the ship.

My last cruise in 2007 was on the Glory with Wee Jimmy. He was awesome, funny, personable...everything you would want in a CD. I have often wondered what ship he's on these days as I'm sailing on the Liberty this August and would love to have him again.

So, wouldn't book or not book bc of the CD, but man, I guess a good one really sets the bar.

Old June 13th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Admiral

I totally agree with what tennisbum said. And with the poster who said that what the CD does behind the scenes is more important than what we actually see him or her doing. I remember one female CD whose voice had a quality that was like fingernails on blackboard to me. Then, we were going to hit a hurricane if we stayed on planned route, so Captain took us back out to sea and we had an extra day. I watched that CD work like crazy to improvise activites, a show for our new last night and listen to concerned or angry passengers. I wrote to Carnival because she impressed me so much. Also, knowing several people over the years who work on ships, the CD has a lot more influence than we might think. Currently, one friend has been a singer on a ship where the CD keeps changing what nights they do what shows. Crazy.
Still, I don't factor in who the CD is when I book. Just get me on the ship!!!
Marty
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Admiral

I book according to my schedule, finances, and where I wish to sail to. The CD has no input on those decisions.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

Makes no difference to Kelli and I. We book the cruise we want for the time we can get away.

Just how we look at it.

Lee & Kelli
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Does the CD, matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip

I may be in the minority, but for me, the CD has no impact on my enjoyment onboard..Over the years of posting, some do seem to have a following. I missed John Heald on our CM cruise last winter, so maybe my answer would have changed, but, I dunno........:) You tell me.....
I couldn't care less.