Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Default pre-paid phone card question

1. will any pre-paid phone card that I purchase here work from public phones in cozumel?

2. I don't recall seeing any on Sensation but are there "public pay phones" where you can also use these on the ships to call home from?
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: pre-paid phone card question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
1. will any pre-paid phone card that I purchase here work from public phones in cozumel?

2. I don't recall seeing any on Sensation but are there "public pay phones" where you can also use these on the ships to call home from?
1. No! It must be an International Card. MAKE SURE you have the required 800, or other, access numbers required to make a call.

2. There are no public phones on cruise ships. The cable isn't long enough. You would need to use your stateroom phone and the price/minute is the same no matter where, in the U.S. you call. 800 numbers are charged the same as any other number.

When using phone cards in port you need to find a true "public" phone. Most phones at the port or close to it are private company phones and require a credit card to use them. There are also places that require that you buy minutes from them to use the phone. Your phone card is worthless in both of these place. Ask a staff member if they know of public phones, in port, where you can use your phone card.

Phone cards were once a good thing but in the last few years they have become worthless unless you want to do a lot of walking to find a phone.

I now use email and "short" cell phone calls from port.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Hi Michelle,

Not sure about pre-paid phone cards in Cozumel. Check out a travel book. I know there are international phone cards, I've just never looked into them.

There are not public pay phones aboard. You can make ship-to-shore calls from your cabin but they are expensive. It's the satellite time that gets you.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Admiral

ok, thanks veryone.

I think I'll stick with what I did last time and use email and a few short texts back and forth to check in with my son every night.
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I'm also looking for international prepaid cards online that I can use there.
Old June 19th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Captain

I bought a prepaid card from either CVS or Walgrens and it wouldnt even work from the pay phone near the port in Key West.

In Cozumel, most cards you buy here, are good only for calling from the U.S. .. not calling to the U.S.
Old January 31st, 2012, 03:33 AM
Welcome Newcomer

One option which most of the people think is using calling cards. But, using calling cards may be a long process and bit confusing with different rates. Most of the calling cards may also have hidden charges. More over, you may have to wait to get the PIN numbers and dial the long calling numbers given by the service providers. These calling cards also come with expiry date and one needs to utilize the talk-time before the expiry of the calling card.