Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Beginner

Default First Cruise...with family

hi all! We are starting to plan for my graduation cruise (August 2011). I know its so far away, but we want to be well prepared, and we need to save

So, we are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids ages 10, 11 at time of cruise) and our parents might come with us as well.

What cruise would you recommend?
What ports would be best?
**We know that we would like to do a dolphin encounter/swim as one of our excursions.
Should we book by ship rather than destination?

I thank you in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:22 PM
First Mate

have you decided on Carnival?? Everyone will have different opinions of ports..............you should check out the shore excursions offered ( i think you can do this on Carnival's website) and see what ports offer things you want to do. I am pretty sure cozumel offers dolphin swims.

You might want to look at a newer ship as they tend to have more to do...more dining choices, maybe bigger cabins.

Are you gong to fly to the port?? you may want to go a day or 2 early.......nice way to get ready to start your trip and you won't have to worry about missing the ship.

You have plenty of time....if you don't already have them, get passports. Easier to travel with and who knows, by then the rules may change again!

For some cruisers the ship IS the destination...but this is your first, so i would try and find places you want to see and then figure out what ship goes where,

That's a start...........you'll get lots of info.................do some research and then come back with more ???s!

happy planning

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Beginner

hi there! thanks for your reply!

we have decided to go with carnival this time due to the pricing (unless pricing changes before we book!) We need a larger room (so a balcony or suite) and Carnival offers the cheapest pricing (unless you know something I dont?! lol).

My husband and I will be doing a Hawaii cruise with RC for our 10 year in 2013.

Anyway, none of us have been anywhere, so we dont really have our hearts set on anyplace to visit. we are looking for a fun but relaxing week away together.

I will look at the ships individually and see if one catches my eye! we would like lots of family activities onboard.

Thanks so much!
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

anything Carnival works...

Southern Caribbean is my favorite.

have a great cruise!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Beginner

ahhh, we've had a change of cruise line! lol
We were given the link to view the new Oasis of the Seas and we have fallen in love with it! There seems to be so many options available for everyone in our group! Oh my, what a ship!

After talking to my parents (who have cruised many times before) they advised us to spend a little more and get the cruise we truly want and not to just go by price.

So, we are prepping our deposit and will be booking soon!
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Passenger

It really doesn't matter where you go, but since your kids are young, I would not suggest Alaska as they tend to have more older people and are a less bit mellower.

Either the Mexico or Carribean cruise is fine depending whether you live on the east coast or west coast. Basically, all the ports are basically the same in Mexico and the caribbean, they all offer the same stuff in Mexico for sale and the same in the caribbean.

It's on the cruise that is really te fun stuff. I would try to book on a newer ship like the splendor out of Los Angeles or a sim iliar shop on the east coast. The newer ships have a lot of great things to do.