Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Default visa gift cards for stewards?

Has anyone ever brought along some $25 VISA gift cards to hand out to the maitre'd, cabin steward, etc. as tips at the end of the cruise? it occurrecd to me that this might be a welcome gift, and any that you don't give out, you can just keep and use.

I brought cash on my last cruise, but I thought this might be a better idea for the next one.

I read a posting a while back saying that international phone calling cards are a welcome tip instead of cash. But are VISA cards just as welcome?

Your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:24 PM
First Mate

bring cash. those gift cards can be a PITA to use...............the recipient really needs to know how much is on them when they use them.

We have enough trouble redeeming them in the USA as merchants' POS systems are not all used to them....i can;t imagine using them in some ports...and they can't be used on the ship.

cash is king.

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm sure Gift Cards and Calling cards are appreciated, but I think in their mind nothing beats good old American Currency.

Mark

Read and post cruise reviews

Need some cruise help?
LIBERTY - 5/2013
SPIRIT - 9/2012 (PLATINUM)
INSPIRATION - 9/2012 (B2B)
PARADISE - 4/2010
VALOR -3/2010
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - 10/2009
SPLENDOR - 4/2009
VICTORY - 4/2008
GLORY - 11/2007
ELATION - 6/2007
PARADISE - 10/2006
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Oh yeah, that's right, I guess it would be a pain to keep track of the current balance. Ok, I'll stick with cash.

Thanks!
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: visa gift cards for stewards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
Has anyone ever brought along some $25 VISA gift cards to hand out to the maitre'd, cabin steward, etc. as tips at the end of the cruise? it occurrecd to me that this might be a welcome gift, and any that you don't give out, you can just keep and use.

I brought cash on my last cruise, but I thought this might be a better idea for the next one.

I read a posting a while back saying that international phone calling cards are a welcome tip instead of cash. But are VISA cards just as welcome?

Your thoughts?
Cash is always the most welcome gift. It's the right color, the right size and it's something everyone wants. I wouldn't think of giving anything else.
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Passenger

Oh, golly....I prepaid the $50 Carnival tip....so should I tip others $25 as well? Oh golly....too much tamale!
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaintexas
Oh, golly....I prepaid the $50 Carnival tip....so should I tip others $25 as well? Oh golly....too much tamale!
If you prepaid the tip that is all that is expected or required.
If someone provides service you feel is extra special then you are free to give them something extra in cash..your choice.
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Admiral

Yes, anything above the prepaid amount is optional. I would think that the Visa cards might not be a good idea either, since not all stores in ports would even accept them. Crew members who shop are mostly looking for basic stuff. Cash is better if you feel you want to give extra.
Marty
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Passenger

Do the servers know if someone has prepaid? Has it made anyone feel cheap to not give them extra?
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendaintexas
Do the servers know if someone has prepaid? Has it made anyone feel cheap to not give them extra?
Brenda:

The servers do know who is in the program and who isn't. There is a list of people who removed their automatic tips. It is not supposed to be dispersed until the end of the voyage but there was a recent incident where a guest saw "the list" posted, before the end of the voyage, while on a ship's tour.

I have never felt "cheap" for not tipping someone extra. If I don't tip extra it is because the person did their job and didn't do anything extra, or go out of their way, for me.

One of my personal hot spots is when others give new cruisers the idea that they will not receive good service if they do not tip extra.

If someone does fulfill a special request or you feel they did an extraordinary job then, by all means, give them an additional tip. However, don't think it is "required".

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM
First Mate

Default Gift Cards

The giftb card programs are still not 100% whole in all aspects. We still get cards at the store that people have purchased and sent to family and friends, yet when we scan them there is "zero" shown, Once we spend some time checking and calling, we find the balance was as it should be however it was more than likely the initial swipe at the time of purchase that failed. They may not be willing to do this in a foreign port. They can he a hassel and the poor person holding the card gets upset because he/she thinks they are holding a worthless card, when actually it is good. My point is there can be problems not to mention the service charge the purchaser has to pay when making certain gift card purchases. For my part the cash is easier. Take a stack of new $2.00 or $5.00 bills and pass them out for exceptional service and you will be the hit of the cabin or dining room area.Getting new $2/$5 bills will require a little work on your part so try several banks.
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Okay, I really liked the idea of gift cards until I finsihed reading all the posts....
And this why I love Cruisemates.... thanks everyone!
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old July 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Admiral

yes, I agree, it changed my mind too! I will only bring cash for tips. I like the idea someone had of making sure to order lunch or dinner for the steward every day, through room service and having it delivered right before I was about to leave for dinner. Then, the steward would know they could come in and get it. Like a hamburger, fries, and dessert. or finding out what the steward would prefer. otherwise the have to pay for their meals.
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Captain

Cash - at our house it's known as the "universal gift certificate"
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
yes, I agree, it changed my mind too! I will only bring cash for tips. I like the idea someone had of making sure to order lunch or dinner for the steward every day, through room service and having it delivered right before I was about to leave for dinner. Then, the steward would know they could come in and get it. Like a hamburger, fries, and dessert. or finding out what the steward would prefer. otherwise the have to pay for their meals.
Hey, I missed that one, but that's a good idea. Isn't it?
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old July 10th, 2009, 05:14 PM
First Mate

Visa gift cards are nice but there are alot of places you can NOT use them.
Matter a fact I dont think carnival takes them at all like if you would plan to use them to pay your sign and sail card with them at the end of a cruise. So they might be more of a pain for giving out than the good thoughts you have. I would stick to cash. Or the amount they put on the sign and sail card when you book your trip.

sammy
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:14 PM
First Mate

Visa gift cards are nice but there are alot of places you can NOT use them.
Matter a fact I dont think carnival takes them at all like if you would plan to use them to pay your sign and sail card with them at the end of a cruise. So they might be more of a pain for giving out than the good thoughts you have. I would stick to cash. Or the amount they put on the sign and sail card when you book your trip. Most of the time I give
extra cash like to our room stewart and dining people. they work very
hard to make you happy..

sammy