Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Passenger

Default Would it be awful to sneak an iron on board?

I've never used a clothes steamer, and I can't imagine not being able to iron my clothes. I understand that the cruise lines say irons are a fire hazard, but are they really? Would they see an iron in an xray and take it away? If the answer is no, no, no, then, do clothes steamers really work?
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Brenda,
I wouldn't even bother bring an iron. Carnival has self service laundry rooms on the guest decks, with irons and ironing boards, free to use...You may also want to pack your evening clothes in the plastic cleaner bags, saves on the wrinkles.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Familiar Face

Please leave your iron at home. Rules and regulations are set in place for a reason. There are options available to you...onboard irons in the laundry, shipboard pressing service, bring your own steamer, hang your clothes in the bathroom when you take a shower (the steam will take out the wrinkles) and pack more carefully.

Besides, you'll be on a cruise to a warm climate a wrinkle or two won't really matter.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Admiral

I had no idea irons weren’t allowed on the ship. Both cruises I took I used my travel iron. I won’t be doing so this time. There’s a place to iron all of your stuff so don’t worry about not having an iron.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Admiral

If they spot it, they will confiscate it! As the others said, you can use the irons located on every passenger deck anyway, so there's really no point in taking the chance with your own iron. (Besides, you're on vacation, and no one really cares if you're a bit wrinkled) Have a GREAT cruise, without a care or worry in the world.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 26th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Admiral

The circuitry to the staterooms is not designed for your iron, it could A: pop the circuit for everyone on your deck which would make you very unpopular.

B: start a fire. :evil:

That's why they re not allowed. forget it. Use the ship's facilities.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Passenger

Default I've brought an iron but there's another option also!

On a past cruise with Carnival onboard the Fascination I packed an iron in my main luggage but no board. I just sat out a couple of the plush towels on the floor and layed my clothes out flat and carefully ironed on the floor... I'm sure that the attendants that cleaned my room saw the iron but no one ever complained to me about the iron at all...

But we're leaving this Mon June 1st on Imagination and I've read on Carnival's websites that irons and boards are NOT provided in the room BUT that you can go to any purser's desk and they will loan you an iron and ironing board at no cost, then just return it when you're finished....

This time, I'm not packing the iron, I'm borrowing one from the ship!!!

Angela
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Captain

I agree that you should never bring an iron on board due to the many hazards to the ship and all of the passengers. I have used the laundry room irons on Carnival ships several times and have also used my steamer.

I did notice that a lot of the Royal Car. ships say that they have no self serve laundry. We are thinking about switching to them next time, but did have a concern about this. So, if they don't have a self serve laundry, do they loan out irons and ironing boards?

Another thing that you might note about using the irons in the self serve laundry that I noticed on the Holiday last week. Some of the older ships have orange water so take a pressing cloth with you. If you don't have one, borrow a clean napkin from the dining room or room service tray. Look at the iron closely to see if it has rust colored stains around the bottom or in the water reservoir. If so, you probably need a pressing cloth to keep your clothes from getting stained from the steam.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I wish Royal Caribbean would have the self service laundry rooms like Carnival and Princess, makes packing easier. You know you can always do a load of wash and take less.

They do however, have a laundry service, they will press clothes for you.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much, everyone. I know it's a vacation, but still. All your comments have helped a lot. It didn't occur to me about wiring.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

If you forget, and leave an iron on, it sits there hot the entire time.

All it takes is some motion in the ocean to create a disaster.

I think the cruise industry has been VERY lucky that such an incident hasn't already occured.

Plus, of course, it gets my dander up when people know the rules, but decided they don't apply to them, and it's OK because they've not suffered any consequence by doing as they wish.

If only Mrs. Kuki would let me get away with doing what I want, and disregarding her rules
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Passenger

Right, Kuki....may whole life as a teacher is teaching the kids how honorable it is to do what we're supposed to do, whether we want to or not, and whether anyone is watching or not....and look at me. No wonder the kids' belief in following rules is slipping.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Passenger

I've taken a small travel iron on 1 of my cruises and my brother took one on another. Yea, Carnival has self service laundry rooms on the ship, but who wants to wait behind a line of people that can reach 5 or more just to iron a shirt and a pair of pants??? Reading some of the responses, i see that Carnival will give you an iron and if so, i will go that route but if not, then sorry, i will continue bringing an iron until i get caught. Hey, what can i say, i'm a rebel. 8)
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Admiral

If you read my previous post and Kuki's you will see that you are a lot more than a rebel -- you disregard the safety of others.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by richstacy
If you read my previous post and Kuki's you will see that you are a lot more than a rebel -- you disregard the safety of others.
I completely agree with this - it only takes one incident by someone who thinks the rules don't apply to them, to result in a tragedy for thousands of others.

I once saw a man on a Carnival cruise walking around the hallways with a huge steam iron he had brought. He walked past Carnival employees with it several times and even boasted loudly about bringing his own iron. I wish I had spoken up and asked the Carnival employee to enforce the rule and confiscate his iron right then and there. Maybe if more of us would do this, it would help prevent dangerous situations on OUR vacations.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothin but blue skies
Quote:
I completely agree with this - it only takes one incident by someone who thinks the rules don't apply to them, to result in a tragedy for thousands of others.

I once saw a man on a Carnival cruise walking around the hallways with a huge steam iron he had brought. He walked past Carnival employees with it several times and even boasted loudly about bringing his own iron. I wish I had spoken up and asked the Carnival employee to enforce the rule and confiscate his iron right then and there. Maybe if more of us would do this, it would help prevent dangerous situations on OUR vacations.
Dangerous situations??? You know what a dangerous situation is.....smoking aboard the ship is dangerous, yet Carnival doesn't seem too concerned about that now do they??? All it takes is for one drunk person or a sober one for that matter to fall asleep in the bed with a cigarette for a "dangerous situation" to happen. Until they ban smoking, i will continue to bring my iron. 8)
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizin4sho
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Dangerous situations??? You know what a dangerous situation is.....smoking aboard the ship is dangerous, yet Carnival doesn't seem too concerned about that now do they??? All it takes is for one drunk person or a sober one for that matter to fall asleep in the bed with a cigarette for a "dangerous situation" to happen. Until they ban smoking, i will continue to bring my iron. 8)
So two wrongs make a right? Why is it you think you are above everyone else? After all You or your loved ones could be seriously injured or worse if you left your iron going and a fire started. If you cannot think of the safety of your family then at least think about the 2500 other people aboard.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old May 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
So two wrongs make a right? Why is it you think you are above everyone else? After all You or your loved ones could be seriously injured or worse if you left your iron going and a fire started. If you cannot think of the safety of your family then at least think about the 2500 other people aboard.

Laura

Thank you - my point exactly! If I see you with an iron, I will personally bring a Carnival Security agent to your cabin and watch as he confiscates it!
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Laura

Above everyone else??? I just think it's funny that ya'll get all bent out of shape about bringing an iron onboard when you have hundreds of people who smoke on the ship which is a far greater risk than an iron! I bet you're a smoker right? Hypocrite..............
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Laura

Thank you - my point exactly! If I see you with an iron, I will personally bring a Carnival Security agent to your cabin and watch as he confiscates it!
You do that.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Admiral

It's not a matter of one being more or less important than another. Fire is the greatest threat to any ship at sea. You may iron a thousand times and never have a problem, But there may be one time when you or someone else leaves an iron on and it starts a fire. I would hate to think that I caused a fire in a ship at sea because I felt I simply had to disobey the rules
and bring an iron. I've never seen people lined up 4-5 deep to use the iron or the laundry on any ship. Pick off times to use the laundry/ironing facilities aboard.--use them when they may be less crowded, if they're ever crowded at all.With regards to borrowing an iron at the pursers desk, maybe that's true on some ships and cruise lines but if so, and you use it and take it back, at least it's not sitting plugged in and on, ready to create a disaster.
Pack right, hang the clothes up as soon as your luggage arrives, rehang them after you use them and if something needs a little help, hang it in the bathroom with the hot water running to create a little steam--take a can of wrinkle release--it all else fails, forgo a bucket of beer and Let Carnival handle the laundry. You can't be looking like you stepped out o a fashion mag.on a cruise all the time anyway.
I retired from the insurance claims business and it was a common thing for people to have fires in their homes because of an appliance that was mistakenly left on-- iron, stove. oven, something put on the stove to cook and someone forgets about it until they start to smell smoke, . etc.
You may be right about smokers--I admit some may smoke in bed, when drunk, etc. but no need to add another major hazard just because we already have a major hazard.
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Admiral

So crusinfosho, until they ban smoking you will continue to bring your iron aboard. That's roughly akin to saying that you are going to keep driving drunk until they ban skydiving. When they taught the course on logic you took underwater basket weaving -- right?

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Passenger

I'm sure glad I found out how strongly people feel about this before I got on board. I know what I'm gonnadofosho......leave my iron at home!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Yep, leave it at home and ignore any wrinkles! On cruises, I even ignore the ones on my face! Besides, the humidity will either wrinkle your clothes more or result in them smoothing out....well, not the facial ones!
Marty
Old June 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Laura

You do that.

Nope - not a smoker - never have been. However, if I did smoke I hope that I would have the good sense to dispose of my cigarette properly in the way Carnival instructs it's smokers to, and to smoke only in the designated places, and most of all to be considerate of those who are non-smokers!
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old June 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Laura

You do that.

Nope - not a smoker - never have been. However, if I did smoke I hope that I would have the good sense to dispose of my cigarette properly in the way Carnival instructs it's smokers to, and to smoke only in the designated places, and most of all to be considerate of those who are non-smokers!
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old June 3rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Laura

Above everyone else??? I just think it's funny that ya'll get all bent out of shape about bringing an iron onboard when you have hundreds of people who smoke on the ship which is a far greater risk than an iron!
Quote:
I bet you're a smoker right? Hypocrite..............
No, I am not a smoker and I do not apreciate you calling me names.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

As stated before, Carnival has self service laundry rooms as does Princess. There were 4 ironing boards and auto off irons for use. We just got of the Mariner this past Sunday and walked by the "confiscated item" desk. There were 5 or 6 regular home irons wait to be claimed. RCL does not have s/s laundry facilities but they do have dry cleaning at the same cost as home. Also shirt pressing for $1.75 each. We will just turn in DH's shirts on the IOS this November and this will save on packing them nice.

I get dry cleaning bags and cut them in 4 and place a piece in between each blouse/top that might wrinkle. Everything was perfect. Downey Wrinkle Releaser also works on some items.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2b@sea
As stated before, Carnival has self service laundry rooms as does Princess. There were 4 ironing boards and auto off irons for use. We just got of the Mariner this past Sunday and walked by the "confiscated item" desk. There were 5 or 6 regular home irons wait to be claimed. RCL does not have s/s laundry facilities but they do have dry cleaning at the same cost as home. Also shirt pressing for $1.75 each. We will just turn in DH's shirts on the IOS this November and this will save on packing them nice.

I get dry cleaning bags and cut them in 4 and place a piece in between each blouse/top that might wrinkle. Everything was perfect. Downey Wrinkle Releaser also works on some items.
I have used the irons and boards on Carnival several times, but try not to iron more than 1 or 2 pieces at a time to keep down lines. I have seen people in there doing so much laundry that look like they had posted a "take in laundry" sign on their cabin door. You do sometimes have to pick certain times to iron (my favorite is early morning while a lot of people are still sleeping in.

I have two ways that I pack to avoid wrinkles. For the hang up clothes in my garment bag, I put two pairs of slacks on one hanger, then I add 2 or 3 pull over shirts on top of each other on the same hanger, then put 1 or 2 button up shirts on top of that. This seems to cushion the clothes against wrinkles. For clothes going into the regular suitcase, I lay all the slacks out on top of each other and tri fold them. I do the same with shorts, but fold them only once, and then I lay T-shirts one on top of the other and fold them in half. I use the x-large zip lock bags and slide a stack of clothes into each one and place them in the suitcase. I then use smaller ziplocks and group undies, socks, etc. and place around the edges of the suitcase.

I unpack as soon as I get my bags and hang everything up on separate hangers and leave the undies etc in the zip lock bags in the drawers, making it easier to find things in those small drawers. This also makes packing to return home easier.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Laura

Above everyone else??? I just think it's funny that ya'll get all bent out of shape about bringing an iron onboard when you have hundreds of people who smoke on the ship which is a far greater risk than an iron!
Quote:
I bet you're a smoker right? Hypocrite..............
No, I am not a smoker and I do not apreciate you calling me names.

Laura

Wow, this has become quite the discusion, lol....Bringing an iron on board is a waste of luggage space! I recommend bringing a bottle of wine instead As far as smoking goes, I dont think thats a good idea on board either, but thats my own opinion. Can't we all just get along

Carnival Glory ~ July 2009
Carnival Inspiration ~ August 21, 2008