Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Should Carnival offer longer cruises?
No, they are fine the way they are 24 41.38%
Yes, I would certainly book one 34 58.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Will Carnival ever get off their 7 day Horse?

Everyone here on this forum loves Carnival Cruise Lines for their prices, Fun and what the heck, best overall cruise package that they offer.

What gets my goat is the fact that the longest cruises they offer is 8 days with only a couple of itineraries. Am I the only one or would you all love to see Carnival offer cruises like Princess does with New and longer itineraries?

Maybe if enough people would let Carnival know they would like the longer cruises they would offer more. What do you all think?
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Admiral

I find this thread confusing. I took a 14 day transatlantic cruise on the Carnival Freedom last year. I know the Hawaiian cruises are over 7 days long. In fact they do a two types of 12 day Hawaiian cruises, one leaves from Enseneda and one leaves from Vancouver. They do 12 day cruises in the Mediterranean. They will do a 16 day Transatlantic cruise Rome to New York in October. They also do a 9 day cruise leaving from New york going to Canada. The Hawaiian cruise looks nice.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Admiral

I agree with Kat. I've taken some longer cruises aboard Carnival, but have to agree that they certainly are in the minority. Most are 4,5,or 7 day cruises, and let's face it,,,that's the amount of time that most of us can get free at one time. Yep, I've been on the job a long time, and have 6 weeks of vacation, but the boss won't let me go for more than a week at a time,,,,sooo,,,seven day cruises for me.
Carnival IMO has a winning combination of cruise durations set up,,,so why mess with success.
Just my opinion.

Ken
"SKY"
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Captain

Most people have weekends off so thats why the 7 day works so well. I too would like more 8-10 day cruises but it would require taking more weekdays off work to do it. Most people dont have tons of vacation time so a 7 day works as it encompasses 2 weekends.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Familiar Face

take back to back. if you dont like it.
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Admiral

The bulk of cruises that sell are in fact 7 day, but Carnival has a few that are longer, mainly repositioning, Southern Caribbean, Panama Canal, South American, and Hawaii. I do think Carnival should start offering a world cruise on a new ship specifically for those. For the cost of one of those, per person, a few a year would easily make the ship profitable. I hope to go on a world cruise one day, maybe in a couple of summers. I feel it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Carnival recently did a 14 day cruise from Long Beach to Miami via the Panama Canal. I have also seen 12 day cruises to Hawaii from Vancouver or reverse. I have done 8 day cruises with Carnival. As others stated the Trans Atlantic cruises are usually 14 days. It stands to reason that the 4, 5 and 7 day cruises are most offered as they are the most popular and are usually sure to fill up. I do believe they had a 10 day itinerary from NYC to th Caribbean, not sure that they still do that one.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old May 29th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Miracle has a great 8 night we are considering for March 2010, and they are doing 11 of these cruises in 2009 & 2010

1 Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale), Florida --- 4:00 p.m.

2 At Sea --- ---

3 At Sea --- ---

4 Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

5 Castries, St. Lucia 9:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

6 Basseterre, St. Kitts 9:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.

7 At Sea --- ---

8 At Sea --- ---

9 Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale), Florida 8:00 a.m. ---

Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 12/4/2009 Bahamas
Carnival Valor 3/9/2008 Eastern Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas 6/24/2006 Western Mediterranean
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas 5/29/2006
Carnival Conquest 6/20/2004 Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas 12/20/2002 Bahamas
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Yep,, we've done that "Miracle" 8 day twice, and it's GREAT! I'd highly recommend it!

Ken
"Sky"
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Admiral

I personally wouldn't do that one without another shore day. I am one that prefers to experience other cultures, for whatever time I can.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM
First Mate

Several of you have already mentioned it. A 7 day cruise is great for those who still have to work, have kids in school, etc. Us retired folks can always get away for more than 7 days. So in answer to your original question, no I don't believe CCL will go more for longer cruises. Just my 2 cents.

Need some cruise help?
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Admiral

I run my own business, so I have the freedom to choose my vacation time. I only have to work around my classes.
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I have done the Hawaiian cruise, and it was 12 days. 7 around Hawaii and then 5 across to Vancouver. I took my mother's advacie to make sure our sea days were at the end of the cruise. She did it from Ensenada, and said they were exhausted when they got on the plane back home! We had the sea days to rest, recover and party allo we wanted and were rested before we returned to our four kids!
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Admiral

You have to consider what most people have already pointed out regarding only being able to take off work for a 7 dayer. Remember too, Carnival owns Princess and Holland America which offer longer and even around the world cruises .So, the Carnival Corp. offers cruises for just about everyone from 3-4 dayers to around the world cruises.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Admiral

Carnival Corporation does, but this is specifically about Carnival Cruise Line. A big part of what I do is actual traveling, so I can easily travel once every month and still be working.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxbusymom
My husband and I have done the Hawaiian cruise, and it was 12 days. 7 around Hawaii and then 5 across to Vancouver. I took my mother's advacie to make sure our sea days were at the end of the cruise. She did it from Ensenada, and said they were exhausted when they got on the plane back home! We had the sea days to rest, recover and party allo we wanted and were rested before we returned to our four kids!
That's excellent advice. I was eyeballing this cruise. Last time I went to Hawaii was for my 21st birthday, before I met my hubby. I would love to go back, plus I have relatives on my mom's side on the islands.

Princess also has a 14 day hawaiian cruises round trip from Los Angeles. That would be fun, I could drive to the port and take a ship across. I prefer cruise ship to airplane. However, Hawaiian cruises are quite pricey.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:46 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Remember too, Carnival owns Princess and Holland America which offer longer and even around the world cruises .So, the Carnival Corp. offers cruises for just about everyone from 3-4 dayers to around the world cruises.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Carnival line itself caters to cruisers who generally are lucky to be able to get 9 consecutive days off work to take a 7 or 8 day cruise.

Some of Carnival Corporation's other lines cater to more upscale clientele, who own their own business and can take 2 or 3 weeks of vacation together if they please.

Carnival did not become the biggest by NOT knowing their market.
(just finished reading Bob Dickinson's "Selling The Sea", he goes into pretty deep detail of such things in the book.)

Bill
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Like I said, I have the freedom to go most anytime I want. Personally, the only other Carnival Corporation lines I really want to experience are Holland America Line and Cunard(the only surviving ocean line from the early 20th century). Costa has little interest to me since it is a largely European version of Carnival, and Princess is really designed more around couples. I do plan to travel on all of Royal Caribbean's lines(RCCL, Celebrity, Azamara) at some point as I see them each having something to offer me. Norwegian I am still wary about, and Disney will probably be slid in somewhere, but no hurry on that.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Admiral

I want to take a nice 14 day cruise or do two 7-days or a 7 day plus a 5-day back to back) but that will have to wait until I retire.

Like most people, you don't want to take too much vacation time at once for fear of losing your job. It sucks to have an "employer's market" instead of an 'employee's market" out there. Also, being a single mom, money is an issue. After my upcoming 2nd cruise in Marcch (5-days) it will be a few years, before I can cruise again.

it's enough to take one week off from work. I work for a tiny company so I take one whole week off then take the rest as one day here or there, usually when my son has a no-school day or I tag on a Monday to a summer weekend.

I also take a couple of sick days here and there during the year, also usually when my son has no-school day.

Ok, well I know that when my dad is gone, I will inherit a chunk, so I do know that I will plan for a nice long 12-day Hawaiian cruise or perhaps the 12-day Mediterranean cruise that I've seen Samantha Brown take.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Admiral

She does have some great travel shows. I saw the one where Samantha was on the Freedom of the Seas.
Old May 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Admiral

We've done several longer cruises on HAL. But, I would like to see a few more on Carnival in the Caribbean. Right now, the longer ones are other places. We've done Hawaii (16 days) and Alaska. My health makes flying to Europe out of the question and can't afford to sail back and forth, plus cruise the ports. So, more options out of Florida would be right up our cruise alley.
Marty
Old May 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Brad813, if you don't mind my asking, you mentioned you travel a lot in your job or business--what do you do ? I would like a job like that, although I'm retired !!
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Passenger

Personally I would like to see carnival do a 10 or 12 day cruise through the
eastern AND western caribbean! Being one that loves port-of-calls to experience the diversity of cultures and land, I would like to have longer
port times in places like Isla Roatan. I always feel rushed at ports and would
like to see longer (10 hours) times there. Those that love "shiptime" would
have more of it, and those of us that love "port" time would have more of it.
Word of mouth about how accommodating and what great lonnnngg port times and excursions Carnival has would boost their ratings and bookings.
Just a personal opinion.
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Personally, I would like them to do the odd 9-11 day cruises on a Conquest class ship out of Miami, FLL, or Canaveral. I would love to to a 10 day Souther Caribbean from Miami instead of San Juan. Why, getting a flight to San Juan from Canada is NOT easy, well, at least if you like multiple connecting flights and a 14 hour travel day.

They could take one of the ships and do what they do for the Freedom, except throw in a 9, 10, or 11 day cruise once every few months for something different...

I'll be down to one cruise a year in 2011 and I would like it to be a longer cruise on Carnival in the Caribbean, but they don't do longer than eight days......A Panama Canal would be awesome!!!!

I wouldn't go on HAL as I am not nearly dead or as borning as hell, and as for Princess, well, I'm on the fence...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:12 AM
Admiral

Well, I am opening a travel agency, plus working on breaking into acting and music while also pursuing a degree in Archaeology.
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Admiral

misguided,
HAL is not just for old, boring folk. Heck, I go on it, so don't go making me sound boring.
It used to be a joke that HAL was for retirees and their parents, but that has changed a lot. The current generation of cruisers (that's us) want to go places more than we want to be loyal to a particular cruise line. The only time I have run into the more elderly demographic on HAL is on really long cruises. I suspect that is true for all the cruise lines, though.
Marty
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:03 PM
Admiral

I think this is largely because even the youngest generation now views themselves as world travelers. I know I, as well as many of those I grew up with, do see themselves in that manner. I have one close friend that has been to at least 15 countries.
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
You have to consider what most people have already pointed out regarding only being able to take off work for a 7 dayer. Remember too, Carnival owns Princess and Holland America which offer longer and even around the world cruises .So, the Carnival Corp. offers cruises for just about everyone from 3-4 dayers to around the world cruises.
True but the Holland and Princess cruises are not as fun as a Carnival cruise.
Carnival Triumph Feb 09
Island Princess coming in Nov. 2009

Old June 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Admiral

I disagree. Holland is fun. Not as keen on Princess, but that's just a matter of a bad experience. There is less and less difference between cruise lines.
Marty
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Admiral

Once Dream comes to US shores there are no more TA or Med cruises currently on CCL's published schedules. I think Carnival has identified a market niche and is focusing on a specific target market.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014