Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Default laundry tips...

on my first cruise in 07, I tried wshing things at night in the sink and hanging them to dry, but they never dried properly - even after 2 days. So on the sea day, when they offered a bag of laundry for $15, I had it all cleaned and dried.

On my next cruise, I decided that I will wash the undies, socks and shirt that I wore that day before I get to sleep, let them hang to partially dry overnight, then in the morning, before I hit the shower, I'll put them in a laundry room dryer and set it for 30 minutes. Then I will head back to my cabin to take a shower and get dressed, quickly dry my hair and go get the dry clothes.

This seems like a good way to quickly get a few things washed, and dried with minimal time on my part.

I'm only travelling (flying to port) with one carry-on so for my 4-nighter, I'd like to only bring 3-4 tank tops to mix and match with my white and beige capri pants, also only 2 pairs of undies, 2 pairs of socks. And my formal night dress of course.

What tips do you have for doing laundry on board with minimal time, to minimize how many clothes you have to pack?

I'm cruising solo so it's just my small amount of stuff to clean/dry.
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:41 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to purpledevilduck
Default Laundry

On my first cruise I used the laundry mat on board ship. It seem to work well if you don't mind spending the time. I think on my next cruise but I will bring a travel steamer instead of using the iron they have on board.
Carnival Valor Sept/Oct 2007
Carnival Freedom Jan 2010
Carnival Liberty Feb 2013

Old May 31st, 2009, 09:51 PM
Admiral

I can understand only the tops and pants but only two pairs of underwear and socks?? How much room can they take up? I need a one for each day I’m gone.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:54 AM
Admiral

well, okay then perhaps 3 pairs, but again, I have quick-dry socks and panties do dry overnight. When you're trying to fit a 4-day cruise into just one carry-on bag, every inch counts!
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

From years of business travel and "unscheduled" extensions to business trips I learned a couple of tricks in doing sink wash.

Once you have washed your socks, underwear, undershirt or other stuff that doesn't matter too much if it wrinkles, wring them out as much as possible and then lay them flat on a dry bath towel. Don't overload the towel. Just a couple of pair of socks or one t-shirt per towel. Roll the towel up with the garment inside. Gently pat the towel to absorb the water from the garment. Do this for a two or three minutes.

Unroll the towel, remove the garment and then put it on or over a hanger and hang as close to a vent as possible. Everything should be dry in just a couple of hours. If an iron is available you can iron it if you want wrinkle free underwear.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Have you tried rolling undies, etc. up when packing. Roll them tight, put a rubberband around them and you can get twice as much in the same space. I used to travel on business and only used carry-ons so I didn't have to wait for luggage and things that don't require ironing work well rolled up.
I refuse to do chores on a cruise....so no laundry for me.
Marty
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Mike, Thanks, I didn't think to roll items up in towels after wringing to absorb more water. I'll make sure to do that next time.

Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
From years of business travel and "unscheduled" extensions to business trips I learned a couple of tricks in doing sink wash.

Once you have washed your socks, underwear, undershirt or other stuff that doesn't matter too much if it wrinkles, wring them out as much as possible and then lay them flat on a dry bath towel. Don't overload the towel. Just a couple of pair of socks or one t-shirt per towel. Roll the towel up with the garment inside. Gently pat the towel to absorb the water from the garment. Do this for a two or three minutes.

Unroll the towel, remove the garment and then put it on or over a hanger and hang as close to a vent as possible. Everything should be dry in just a couple of hours. If an iron is available you can iron it if you want wrinkle free underwear.

Take care,
Mike
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Captain

what is the big deal of a checked bag anyway? You can pack a few more things and you dont have to worry about the laundry and all your planning you are putting into it. What a waste of vacation time in my opinion. Is your goal to have a good time or to win some sort of contest as to how little clothing you can bring? It appears you are putting so much effort into consolidating and washing things in your sink or timing your clothes drying that you wont have a good time. Forget all that stuff and check a small bag, put in extra clothing, forget laundry and have fun. Wearing the same clothing over and over and doing laundry is one boring vacation. Just my humble opinion for what its worth.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also used the self-serve laundromat on the ship the last time. It's okay for just one load. I would do it first thing in the morning while the boyfriend was still sleeping or I would do it later at night when we were bummin in our room for a bit. I had no troubles whatsoever; just gotta remember some quarters.

I'm just opposite...I always way overpack and prefer to wear some things twice instead of doing the smart thing and actually wearing something else so without fail, everytime I travel, I end up doing one load to replenish.

With airlines charging for bags now (except Southwest ) and airlines losing bags, I can understand your packing light.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
what is the big deal of a checked bag anyway? You can pack a few more things and you dont have to worry about the laundry and all your planning you are putting into it. What a waste of vacation time in my opinion. Is your goal to have a good time or to win some sort of contest as to how little clothing you can bring? It appears you are putting so much effort into consolidating and washing things in your sink or timing your clothes drying that you wont have a good time. Forget all that stuff and check a small bag, put in extra clothing, forget laundry and have fun. Wearing the same clothing over and over and doing laundry is one boring vacation. Just my humble opinion for what its worth.
I don't like to check my luggage. there's really no NEED to pack more than a carry on per person, if it's done right. especially these days when it costs so much for direct flights, most people do one connection and that's all it takes for luggate to get lost. I think it's nuts to bring along more than one truly needs. again it's my personal opinion.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

It is nuts to bring more than one needs, yes, I'm nuts! And I'm okay with that :0

Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Admiral

On our last cruise....a 14 day......we only took carry ons.....I packed enuff for 7 days.......undies & all..........we're platinum so we had laundry done half way thru.......the carry on included formal wear also.......I can get 7 days worth of clothes in a carry on........

Sharon
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Admiral

I think it is nuts to do laundry on a cruise!
Marty
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Admiral

I've been looking at my packing list and I just may not have to do laundry after all - or if I do, I will pay the ship crew to do it for me. no time lost for me at all. Or, just bring a few shirts that dry quickly overnight and do a quick rinse in the sink and hang them overnight. no trip even for a dryer at the laundry room.