Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hurricane worries..

We just booked the Dream for Sept 2010. Have never sailed during hurrican season, should I be worried
Legend 2006
Spirit 2006 & 2007 & 2009
Conquest 2007 & 2009
Pride 2008
Dream 2010
Norwegian Dawn 2011
Magic 2012
Princess Grand 2013
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:55 PM
First Mate

Only if you happen to have a hurricane in your path.... otherwise, don't sweat it : )

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

No, do not worry because nature is going to do what it wants to do! The worst that can happen is hte ship is repositioned to a different route to avoid a hurricane.

I encourage you to bookmark the national hurricane site and keep an eye on what is in the area a few weeks before your cruise. If a tropical storm is in yours routes way you can be guaranteed that you will have some port changes.

The most important factor to remember when crusing during hurricane season is expect the unexpected and do not complain about it if something is in the way and your cruise has a change...YOu booked during hurricane season, so there is a 50% chance it will be OK and 50% that there may be a change...

GO, enjoy, have fun!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Well said and I agree 110%. We sailed in September before and a tropical depression formed in the gulf (we sailed out of N.O) while we were out at sea. The captain chose to go through the storm instead of around to get the ship back to N.O. in time and without a day delay. I would have LOVED the extra day, but all was ok. I actually did get nauseated (and I usually don't) due to the waves. I can't say I'll NEVER book in September again, but the price would really have to be good. Roll with the waves - you will be fine!
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Admiral

The simple answer is you should almost never be worried.

A lesson on ship technology is required here.

Modern ships not only have stabalizers to maintain balance in the event of storms, but also satellite based radar navigaation so a ship can easily "see" a hurricane coming in time to go around it. The crew constantly will monitor for storm cells of any type, though I am pretty sure they won't be able to prevent a hurricane(or at least a former one(I graduated from a school whose teams were called the Scarlet Hurricanes)) on board the Imagination in October.
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Captain

We've sailed around 3 hurricanes and two tropical storms in the last few years. Hurricane season is the season for the best cruise prices.
The ship will NOT sail into danger. The worst that can happen is a missed port or two. Sea days are a good thing.
Just remember, a cruise is an adventure. Enjoy whatever the week brings.
Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

When is hurricane season? We are booking in July 2010 out of New Orleans. Noing my luck that is probably the midle of the season. We went in Dec last year and the sea was rough the whole time. They cancled all the snorkling and other water activity because it was so rough. They closed off some of the top deck for part of the cruise. We still had a wonderful time. And are still ready to book our next cruise.

June 2007 Fantasy
December 2008 Fantasy
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Passenger

marysed,

Normally hurricane season is between June though Nov. In fact, I believe this year hurricane season starts tomorrow.
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
First Mate

I have sailed numerous times during the hurricane season and have only had one cruise affected by a hurricane (Hurricane Frances).

Assuming you can get to the debarkation port and the ship makes it out of port, the cruise will take place. If there is a hurricane in the planned path of the cruise, the itinerary will be changed. You will be kept well informed throughout of what is happening and what decisions get made.

In our case, we left Miami knowing full well that Hurricane Frances would likely be a factor to our cruise. When we arrived on board, there was already a communication explaining what would take place - that we would proceed to our first port (Nassau) and further information would be made available as the path of the storm became more known.

Upon our return to the cabin from the Nassau port call, there was a communication that basically stated that for reasons of safety, the cruise's itinerary would be changed to a Western Caribbean cruise and we would be visiting Ocho Rios and Cozumel, rather than the Dominican Republic (no loss) and St. Thomas (very disappointed).

Throughout the cruise, the crew kept us informed of what was going on. As it was, Hurricane Frances hit St. Thomas on the same day that we would have been in port. She then swept through the Bahamas and into Florida, creating havoc with the end date of the cruise.

As we left Cozumel, the Captain announced that we would be sailing towards Miami, but would go no further than a certain point north of Cuba until the port was reopened. As it was, we got an extra night on board, but had trouble rearranging our flight out and had to stay two extra nights in Ft. Lauderdale.

One word of caution - BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE. It paid for all of our additional expenses relative to the extra days and provides a level of security if something happens during your cruise.

Enjoy the cruise - it will be a great adventure.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

This is from carnival's web site .....
.................................................. .....................................
Hurricane season encompasses the months of June through November. Due to the unpredictable nature of hurricanes it may not be possible to give information about itinerary changes in advance of the sailing. Carnival's main priority is the safety of our guests and crew, as well as the vessel. It is rare for a cancellation to occur due to an impendin g hurricane. In some instances an itinerary deviation is implemented to avoid a storm. Hurricanes have been known to change their course drastically at the last minute. Guests that have any questions should contact our Reservations department the day prior to sailing, as that is when we will have definitive information. We will always make decisions that assure the cruise experience will be a great one and that all on board are totally safe.
.................................................. ....................................
In a nut shell, during hurricane season there might be a hurricane and there might not! Cruises are much cheaper during hurricane season, and I really don't care if the ship get re-routed ... I'm still on the ship and still haveing a great time.

The biggest issue I have is I work for the State of Louisiana, they start foaming at the mouth about hurricane preparedness months before hurricane season even starts. I am required to be available for "emergency" situations such as evacuations etc etc etc. I'm not going to let it bother me though, I already have a weekend cruise booked in mid August ... which really is the beginning of PEAK hurricane season. Buy the insurance, the worst thing that could happen is your cruise is cancelled (with insurance you get your money back and usually some sort of perk from Carnival)
TC

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old June 8th, 2009, 04:52 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysed
When is hurricane season?
Officially June 1st to Nov. 30th.... actually I live where we watch this carefully and this Sept. will be the 20th anniversary of Hurricane Hugo. I have seen them form as early as late April and as late as Dec.
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

No you should not be worried. But if you are going to worry, dont book a cruise durring the peak of Hurricane season. As was stated the ships have amazing technology and can easily get out of the way of a Hurricane. Our anniversary is September 4th and we go to the Carribean almost every year. Only once on our honeymoon has a hurricane interrupted our trip. We were in Jamaica, doing a land based trip, and Hurricane Ivan (Cat 5) was headed straight for us, so we went home less than 48 hours after getting there. Thats why we preffer to do cruises that time of year now and why we always make sure to have plenty of trip insurrance. So dont worry a bit and have a great time.

Randy and Heather

Destiny '11-booked!
The Royal Cancun '10(A.I.)
Dream '10
Sun Palace Nov. '09 (A.I.)
Glory '08
Sun Palace '07(A.I.)
Enchanment of the Seas '06
Aventura Spa Palace'04 (A.I.)
Couples Negril '04 (Honeymoon, A.I.)
Big Red Boat '93
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Admiral

I remember Hugo. It came in as far as the Virginia-Tennessee border. Watched out my back door as a child.
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everyone we will have the insurance and hope for the best. As long as the ship can get in to port so we can get on then we will be fine.

June 2007 Fantasy
December 2008 Fantasy
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM
First Mate

Living here in prime hurricane territory, Charleston, SC, you learn to always be ready and always turn on the Weather Channel at 10 minutes of every hour, for the Tropical Update.

Even though hurricane season runs from June 1- November, the PRIME season is mid August- early October.
September is usually a storm a week forming, just depending on if they go up the east coast or into the gulf.

We book a cruise EVERY September due to the phenominal prices.
(going on the Fascination out of JAX this September)

It will be a week of stress before the cruise, just watching that your debarkation port doesn't get hit, ot is predicted to get hit.

Once you are able to get to the port and get on the ship, the ONLY worry is that a hurricane hits the port while you are out to sea. (like happened in Galveston last year, when the ship returned (to NOLA) everyone's cars parked in Galveston were total losses.)
The ship will steer around any storms and you will have your days at sea in the very least.

Never book a cruise during hurricane season where you definitely want to stop in speciific ports.
If there are ports that are important to your enjoyment of the cruise, book from Dec-June.
If the ports are unimportant, definitely book and enjoy the savings.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

I travel in Aug because my BFs a teacher and that's best for him. So we are forced to travel during hurricane season. We tried Jamaica last year and got hit with a hurricane. Whatta waste!!! So, if nothing else, I prefer to cruise during hurricane season because your trip is still salvagalbe. When you're stuck at a resort, you got no place to go. (not to mention, no running water, no room service, no activities...it was an expensive lesson )

Old June 9th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Admiral

The link below is for the national weather service site that keeps up to date on hurricanes, and pretty much everything else. You can put in a zip code or city/state and see the upcoming weather for a week. Subject to the whims of Mother Nature, of course. That said, I live in Florida, walking distance to the Gulf, so am hurricane attentive. And, I have been through hurricanes on cruises. Gone around quite a few, just hit one where there was another one right on our heels. And, even that wasn't too bad. Brad was correct in that ship technology has gotten very sophisticated....even though he should learn how to spell the words he uses in a "lesson"!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Marty
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Admiral

If you are flying in....make sure you purchase travel insurance.

If additional hotel room costs would cause an undo financial burden, make sure you purchase travel insurance.

This is what "can" happen....

Last September, we booked the Ecstasy out of Galveston.

On August 30th, we drove to Galveston (Hurricane Gustav was causing problems)....

After we arrived, we discovered that our sailing would not happen until Sept 3rd. If insurance is purchased, insurance would pay for the extra days in a hotel and meals.

Our 5 day cruise to 2 ports turned into a 3 day cruise to nowhere...and we had a BLAST!!!

I would book again in a heartbeat during hurricane season, as long as I had my insurance bases covered.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:54 AM
First Mate

No offense, but I always worry about stuff like that. Nothing you can do about it now. Chances are, you'll be lucky. Be positive and look forward!