Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival to discontinue Paper Documents late August

Dear Travel Agent Partners,

We just wanted to take this opportunity to update you on some important information regarding cruise documents.

Based on the popularity of Carnival’s electronic documents, beginning with cruise departures of August 25, 2009 and beyond, Carnival will discontinue the paper version of the cruise travel documents. All guests on sailings from this date forward will need to use Carnival’s MyDocuments portal to print electronic cruise documents.

Since the vast majority of our guests already use the electronic system, we are expecting a smooth transition. As an added convenience for your guests you may print the electronic cruise documents for them at anytime once the booking is paid in full by simply going to the MyDocuments portal (accessible at www.carnival.com/mydocuments). This feature will also provides guests with on-demand access to their Carnival booking, enabling them to print boarding passes, the terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract, luggage tags, and other pertinent information regarding their "Fun Ship" cruise from any Internet-connected computer.

This "paperless" system provides guests with many conveniences and offers the same travel documentation and information typically available with traditional cruise documents. Housed within a secure, easy-to-navigate Internet portal accessible on a "24/7" basis, the electronic document system operates in "real time" which ensures that all last-minute changes are reflected. In addition to the peace-of-mind created by eliminating the wait for cruise documents to be delivered by mail, this initiative has a positive impact on the environment. Please be advised that the migration to an entirely eDocument format applies to both individual and group reservations.

Additional details are below:

* August 3 is the last day that paper documents can be ordered for sailings prior to August 25, 2009.
* Cruise documents, which include the terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract, may be accessed online after full payment is received and will require the following information; booking number, last name of the guest, ship and sail date.
* The current terms and conditions of the cruise ticket contract can be viewed at all times at www.carnival.com.
* Guests who purchased FlyAweigh air/sea packages may view their air schedules within 75 days of their cruise departure date.
* Although having printed e-documents will expedite the check-in process during embarkation, guests may check in at the pier without documents as their information is contained within Carnival’s reservation system.
* Electronic documents include printable luggage tags that may be printed in black and white. If they are not printed, luggage tags are available at the pier.

This change will provide a more efficient way for our guests to prepare for their cruise
vacation and help us continue our efforts to be more environmentally friendly.

We appreciate your business and support of this new initiative.
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Years ago I would have been kicking and screaming, saying, I want my docs.. but now I say, yayay......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Admiral

No big deal. Wonder why they did not do it long ago. Have to disagree with the statement below.

* Although having printed e-documents will expedite the check-in process during embarkation, guests may check in at the pier without documents as their information is contained within Carnival’s reservation system.

Try explaining this to the private security people who want to see your edocs or Fun Pass before they will even let you in the cruise terminal to talk to Carnival Reservations.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog

Try explaining this to the private security people who want to see your edocs or Fun Pass before they will even let you in the cruise terminal to talk to Carnival Reservations.
Good point, but I'd hope that they'll have a manifest of passengers, and by showing proper I.D. (ie: passport etc.) that you'll be allowed to pass. You're certainly correct as of right now. Ain't no way you'd get past the "door guards" currently.

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Captain

No more doc dance. I myself prefer the paper docs. Guess I am a dinosaur.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
No more doc dance. I myself prefer the paper docs. Guess I am a dinosaur.
We can still "doc dance" when we print them off.
That said, this is another way to deal the travel agency out and what about those who don't have computers?
The world ASSUMES that everyone has a home computer ! That's not true.
It would seem that travel agencies and those not computer literate can benefit each other, in that those without a computer would be necessity book through a travel agent.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

Thoth;

We have a travel business and got the same e-mail from Carnival.
There is one part of the e-doc's that I like and that is not having to worry when we mailed the old documents out to our clients not living near us.
I always worried that they would get lost in the mail which NEVER really
happened so I didn't need to worry anyway.

We still have a strong connection to the cruise lines and our "reps" are very helpful, even to a small business like us. You are right that not all people have a computer or a computer w/a printer. We have elderly clients that we hand deliver travel documents to. As far as Kelli and I we are ok w/E-doc's. Guess you can still do that "doc dance".

Lee & Kelli
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Well this is a shame, my parents don't have the internet so I guess they can no longer cruise on Carnival. I'm not kidding. If the cruise line wanted to limit the amount of people on board the ship this will help them achieve thier goal. This is a bad idea. :evil:

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 11th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Bummer. My doc dance keeps getting interrupted by paper jams.
Katlady, can't your parents have someone else print them out...say, you maybe....and then mail then to them?
Marty
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Well this is a shame, my parents don't have the internet so I guess they can no longer cruise on Carnival. I'm not kidding. If the cruise line wanted to limit the amount of people on board the ship this will help them achieve thier goal. This is a bad idea. :evil:
How is this a bad idea?

If your parent's don't have the internet, they are not booking their trip themselves anyway.
They would have to book with a travel agent, who would then have to print their documents for them.

I would imagine that Carnival knows that the people who do not have internet, left in this country, generally are not looking for a cruise vacation.
I know here in SC, according to the newspaper, last week, 40% of the state, still does not have internet. (7th worst in the country)
Of course, of that 40%, over half, live WAY out in the country and still don't have air conditioning, indoor plumbing, etc....(sadly, I have met far too many family members on my Wife's side, here and in NC that seriously, do NOT have AC and full electricity yet)

This move is LONG overdue and will not negatively impact Carnival bookings in the least.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
How is this a bad idea?

If your parent's don't have the internet, they are not booking their trip themselves anyway.
They would have to book with a travel agent, who would then have to print their documents for them.

I would imagine that Carnival knows that the people who do not have internet, left in this country, generally are not looking for a cruise vacation.
I know here in SC, according to the newspaper, last week, 40% of the state, still does not have internet. (7th worst in the country)
Of course, of that 40%, over half, live WAY out in the country and still don't have air conditioning, indoor plumbing, etc....(sadly, I have met far too many family members on my Wife's side, here and in NC that seriously, do NOT have AC and full electricity yet)

This move is LONG overdue and will not negatively impact Carnival bookings in the least.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Bummer. My doc dance keeps getting interrupted by paper jams.
Katlady, can't your parents have someone else print them out...say, you maybe....and then mail then to them?
Marty
Why do you think I'm so mad. I'm going to be the one using my printer ink to print their cruise document.

Bguppies they can book a cruise over the telephone, but my mom will want paper documents.

Quote:
I don't agree with this. My parents don't have the internet because they don't trust or want it. They love to cruise and have gone to Alaska, across the Atlantic Ocean, and the Mexican Riveria. Each time they received paper documents, because the cruise line saw they didn't have an e-mail address. My parents live in town with an AC, plumbing, and a very nice pool for hot days. They aren't broke they could afford internet service, but chose not to have it. Shoot my mom is still mad about day light savings time, she will never get over this.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Many in the older generations never learned the computer logic. There is a certain thought pattern required to operate a computer.
My parents for example can't "think that way".
That said....I consider myself pretty dumb on this high tech gadgetry myself. Dial up Internet, land-line telephone, no I-pods, no IMP-3's, and blackberry continues to be a fruit.
At least I can find Cruisemates and Carnival online !!

/ticker.png">
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

After twentysomething cruises I'm in favor of it. On the first few cruises I read through everything but after a few cruises most of the "documents" went into the circular file.

I like that Carnival puts the documents in PDF format so you can just print the pages you need and forget about the rest.

The only thing that is a bit of pain is folding and pseudo-laminating the luggage tags. I just put clear packing tape over them and punch a hole in them and attach them with a cable tie.

Travel Agents should print and ship the documents for those who aren't computer savvy.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Many in the older generations never learned the computer logic. There is a certain thought pattern required to operate a computer.
My parents for example can't "think that way".
That said....I consider myself pretty dumb on this high tech gadgetry myself. Dial up Internet, land-line telephone, no I-pods, no IMP-3's, and blackberry continues to be a fruit.
At least I can find Cruisemates and Carnival online !!
Gee I thought I knew about high tech gadgetry but I have never heard of a IMP-3's. What is that?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Public Libraries usually have computers for the public to use for free. Usually there is a nominal fee to print documents it is usually .10 a page.

Laura
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnt do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
---Mark Twain

Old June 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

Well said Mike M.

Totally agree...!

Lee & Kelli
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
[ Gee I thought I knew about high tech gadgetry but I have never heard of a IMP-3's. What is that?
I don't know....hey I TOLD you I didn't know anything.

/ticker.png">
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just finished paying off my cruise for August 23rd. I'll be sailing with my children to the Bahamas and I'm really excited as I plan to spend a couple of days at the Magic Kingdom. I booked through another travel website, and I asked the rep when I was receiving the docs. She told me Carnival would be emailing me my docs three weeks prior to sailing. I asked her if this was something new and she said yes. Carnival no longer mails the documents to your home.

I read on an earlier post that starting on the 25th of August, all docs will be issued electronically, but our trip is on the 23rd, and ours will be electronically. I really don't care if they're mailed to me, or emailed, I will still be doing the doc dance, even if my printer jams up!!!!

Happy sailing,
Nereida
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
[ Gee I thought I knew about high tech gadgetry but I have never heard of a IMP-3's. What is that?
They are inventing so many things that I don't own. I just thought it was something new. I get older and the screens get smaller. How am I suppose to read!!!! Plus I kept losing my tiny cell phone in my purse I ended up having to get a smalller purse.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was able to go online and view my docs. I didn't print them out because I still need to get my daughter's passport, but if I want, I'm actually able to print out the docs as they're in pdf format.
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They are inventing so many things that I don't own. I just thought it was something new. I get older and the screens get smaller. How am I suppose to read!!!! Plus I kept losing my tiny cell phone in my purse I ended up having to get a smalller purse.
I was being facetious... No IMP-3 players that I know of.
They do seem to come up with all this stuff. We all need a personal teenage assistant to work it for us.

/ticker.png">
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They do seem to come up with all this stuff. We all need a personal teenage assistant to work it for us.
My 10 year old nephew is a whiz at all the tech stuff. I think it helps that he grow up with it. For us 8 track players and pong for atari 2600 were huge deals. It's amazing the things that have been invented in my lifetime.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Now if only Carnival could go to some type of electronic picture system... Now that would REALLY help the planet.

Old June 16th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My 10 year old nephew is a whiz at all the tech stuff. I think it helps that he grow up with it. For us 8 track players and pong for atari 2600 were huge deals. It's amazing the things that have been invented in my lifetime.
And to think I was proud of my 80's technology. No joke I still play on an original Gameboy...the pre-colorized. Younger people compliment me "WOW a genuine antique video game".

/ticker.png">
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And to think I was proud of my 80's technology. No joke I still play on an original Gameboy...the pre-colorized. Younger people compliment me "WOW a genuine antique video game".
An antique should be 100 years or older. Your game boy is just a collectible.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
[q ".
An antique should be 100 years or older. Your game boy is just a collectible. [/quote]
OK that makes me feel better.

/ticker.png">