Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:11 AM
First Mate

Default St. John, Canada Shore Excursions?

Has anyone who has visited St. John (NB) Canada have any ideas as to a shore excursion that wouldn't be considered overly priced yet fun to do?

On the CCL website they have the standard trolley ride and museum tours and even a really HIGH PRICED kayak and lobster tour but not much else.

We sail in 38 days - any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Captain

I live about an hour away from Saint John. I am not familiar with the tours being offered but I can give you a few bits and pieces that may help. The farmer's market is walking distance from the pier and it is a great little place. Many people have greatly enjoyed the reversing falls experience, but as locals my husband and I weren't all that thrilled.

I know at one time the cruiselines offered a tour of the Hopewell Rocks, it was pricey and a fairly long day but it really is a lot of fun, we've been there several times and it is neat each time.

A park inside the city limits, called Rockwood Park, offers day trips that includes Geo-Caching, which we thought was a blast, and the price was reasonable when booked directly with the company, I think it's called DayTripping or something like that.

I seem to recall that in the past few years Saint John has spent a lot of money on developing various walking tours as well and many people have said they greatly enjoyed them. The good news is that at least two of them begin within walking distance of the dock.

Saint John is an old ship building city and one of the things we have enjoyed most is taking in some of that part of their history. I don't mind digging for information for you if you need more details.
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the info!

A walking self-guided tour would be terrific as I'm not sure about taking any type of kayaking / water excursion in what I would consider (living in Florida) cold water.

Thanks again!

Old June 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Admiral

I like to find the city's tourism website and look around there. So here is the site for St. John's I hope it helps.
http://www.stjohns.ca/visitors/index.jsp

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I like to find the city's tourism website and look around there. So here is the site for St. John's I hope it helps.
Hey Katlady, common mistake, St. John's is in the Province of Newfoundland, Saint John is in the Province of New Brunswick. Good hint for the tourism web search though, here is the proper website : )

www.tourismsaintjohn.com
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime
Quote:
Hey Katlady, common mistake, St. John's is in the Province of Newfoundland, Saint John is in the Province of New Brunswick. Good hint for the tourism web search though, here is the proper website : )

www.tourismsaintjohn.com
I better let someone who knows the area help you. Sorry about that. Thanks for correcting my mistake I would hate to give someone wrong information.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Thanks to you both and I'll be sure to look at the correct site too.

Old June 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

www.tourismsaintjohn.com
I better let someone who knows the area help you. Sorry about that. Thanks for correcting my mistake I would hate to give someone wrong information.
No worries, it would just be a serious culture shock to be thinking that you were arriving in St. John's and end up in Saint John, both seafaring cities but both so different!

Being from the area can mean that you offer good advice but it can also mean that you offer tainted advice. We never seem to truly appreciate the great things about our own towns as much as the tourists do. Other visitors may be able to offer better insight.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Captain

I was just talking to my husband and we agree that if we were going to take a walking tour of Saint John we'd do the Loyalist Trail, it hits alot of the highlights from when the Loyalists first settled here. The Courthouse is cool, and the old burial grounds are worth exploring, the market is on this trail as well. I looked on the saint john website and the trails are all there, including maps that you can print from the comfort of home. Saint John should prove to be an economical day of site seeing. I'll cross my fingers and hope for a clear sunny day for you : )

While I know that food is provided on the cruise ship and the incentive to eat while off the ship is minimal, I have to offer one huge tidbit, if you do decide to have a meal, eat local seafood. Be forwarned though, it may be difficult to enjoy seafood anywhere else after having eaten it fresh in the Maritime provinces. Of course, I am biased, but it really is worth it to try it.
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Admiral

You know what's funny now that I look at the first post again it says St. John's (NB). 2Littletime you are right if I'm going to a place I find out everything I can about the place. However, I never do that for where I live.

Let me try again. Here is Vitural tourist I like this site. This lists things to do in Saint John (NB).
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel..._John-R-1.html One of the suggestions is to see the Cherry Brook Zoo. I like animals. So here is the link to the zoo I have no idea how close it is to the pier. http://www.cherrybrookzoo.com/ 2Littletime have you every been to this zoo?

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We walked arounf the town by th pier,and took the excursion to the Bay of Fundy..Loved the people, and, had a very nice tour.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Admiral

I'm booked to visit Fundy National Park. While it's expensive, the hope is that it's costly for good reason.
A national park can't be too bad !

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Passenger

We took the local bus to the reversing falls. loved it. There is a restaurant and gift shop there. On the way back we stopped at the famers market and the local mall. There is lots to see in town. We got some good photos of the ship.
Enjoy your cruise!
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
I'm booked to visit Fundy National Park. While it's expensive, the hope is that it's costly for good reason.
Fundy National Park is incredible. A true gem that we're all really proud of. Take good walking shoes though, because the trails up to the many waterfalls are wonderful. If you get brave enough you can have a swim in the salt water pool, be aware though that the pool is filled with water pumped from the Bay and as a result, it is COOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDD, even to a maritimer. Our rule of thumb is to remove the children when both of their lips are blue. Your camera will come in handy in Fundy, lots of critters and lots of beautiful sights, right next to the ocean where you can smell the sea air. While I don't know how much the excursion was I can assure you that you'll really enjoy Fundy Park.
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Captain

Katlady,

Cherry Brook Zoo is an average zoo. It is great for us because we don't really have a lot of options, sadly, once my kids had been to Busch Gardens and the Miami Zoo, they lost all interest in Cherry Brook. We still support them though and they do a great job with their special activities, like the nighttime visits, etc. It would be a fine place to spend the day with kids but the reality is that it wouldn't give anyone anything to really brag about from their vacation. Cherry Brook is also not reachable by foot, it would require either a cab or a tour bus and it is about a ten minute drive from the pier.
Old June 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
First Mate

Anyone ever do the lobster bake excursion?

Old June 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Fundy National Park is incredible. A true gem that we're all really proud of. Take good walking shoes though, because the trails up to the many waterfalls are wonderful. If you get brave enough you can have a swim in the salt water pool, be aware though that the pool is filled with water pumped from the Bay and as a result, it is COOOOOOLLLLLLLDDDDD, even to a maritimer. Our rule of thumb is to remove the children when both of their lips are blue. Your camera will come in handy in Fundy, lots of critters and lots of beautiful sights, right next to the ocean where you can smell the sea air. While I don't know how much the excursion was I can assure you that you'll really enjoy Fundy Park.
thanks for the good word. The locals always seem to know best. Since I love to walk I'll have no trouble taking your advice by wearing good shoes.
The price was $169.. From Carnival's web site...

"Be joined by a knowledgeable National Park Interpreter.
Visit this beautiful national park renowned for its unique coastal environment and a UNESCO designated Biosphere Reserve.
Explore, in depth and in small groups, the unique ecosystems that surround the Bay of Fundy.
Walk along Alma Beach and see the challenges the incredible tides present to the animals, plants and people.
Hike the magical Dickson Falls Trail which meanders through the amazing Acadian Forest.
Follow the trail to the lush, moist brook valley at the foot of the picturesque waterfall. This excursion is ideal for nature lovers too!
Note: Journey from Saint John to the park is approximately 90 minutes. Complimentary picnic-style bagged lunch will be provided at the park. "

/ticker.png">
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM
First Mate

I broke down and booked the $$$$ Kayak & Lobster Bake excursion.

A bit pricey but what the hell, I'll be the Captain of my own "Fun-Kayak" and having lobster for lunch!

Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Beginner

Default Photography Tour

Has anyone booked the Bay of Fundy Coastal Photography, I love photography and just wanted to know if it is worth it.

Frank
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotoJuku

A bit pricey but what the hell, I'll be the Captain of my own "Fun-Kayak" and having lobster for lunch!
That's right we only live ONCE ! So what if I "paid too much " for that shore excursion ? ! It isn't like we can take the money saved by sitting at home with us to the here-after.

/ticker.png">
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:27 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotoJuku

That's right we only live ONCE ! So what if I "paid too much " for that shore excursion ? ! It isn't like we can take the money saved by sitting at home with us to the here-after.
That plus my Brother and his Wife who are also sailing really wanted to do this one. Just 27 more days!