Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Beginner

Default Looking forward to a once in a life time trip

I had to save up for 2 years to be able to take this vacation and I was looking froward to it for the last 6 months since I paid for the cruise. I am not like the rest of you who have more money then I know what to do with a can cruise all the time, I have to work for every penny to take care of my family.

I left work the Friday before the trip on cloud 9 and could not wait for the trip, so I went in to this whole trip very happy and could not wait for the fun. I got on the ship and everything looked great but as the trip went on things just went down hill.

The rooms were great, the staff working in the rooms was great, the evening dinner in the main Dining room was very good and what I would say is high class. The main dining room staff was wonderful so if I would have just stayed there things would have been a lot better. BUT I went to the buffet and the food was bad the people working in that area were rude and arguing or getting yelled at by the upped management at least once every time we were down there. As for the Midnight Buffet (There was a sign posted calling it a Midnight Buffet) it was nothing like anyone had said it should be and I could have got better food for the local store. Up until I we left the website still said there would be a Midnight Buffet it said nothing about cutting back and no longer having it.

As for the drinks I expected them to be walking around with them I was surprised and how early but it didn't bother me until they offered on to my 14 year old daughter (Physical tried to hand her one of the drinks off the tray). I don't know what time the bar is supposed to open but I myself bought a drink for the waiter at 8:30am just for the coconut glass.

The entertainment was great something I could compare to Las Vegas, 2 great shows and 2 different Comedians. The kids (17 & 14 year old) areas were great too the kids had a lot to do.

The Spa was nice but they were all very pushy and out for the sale so I could not relax there at all. And both of my kids wanted to go to work out in the Gym and my 14 year old was told she could not be in there at all even with an adult but yet she can go to the local Golds Gym at home. The ship had just been redone and this was the first cruise out and there were still things not working the Hot tubs didn't work, one of the elevators was down and the stairs going up to the deck above the pool was closed because they were cracked and had to be re welded.

So as you can see I did find some thing on the ship that were very nice but not 2 years worth of savings nice. As for the double charge I could ask the purser about because it happened a day after we got off the ship we were charged for each transaction as it happened and then the day after we got off the ship we were charger the whole amount again that is what caused the problem. I finally got my money back for the double charge almost a week after.

I posted here to see if any one else and the same experience and to tell others to just be aware.
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Familiar Face

I understand the OP had a bad experience on this cruise and needs to vent. She seemed to be ill informed as to what happens on a cruise. Had she gone to the Carnival website and read a little she would have found a wealth of information. Or she could have read some of the threads on this site, although the info here is subjective as it is a lot opinions and recollections. The serious issue for her was the debit card...never use them for a cruise if you can avoid it. I think this is what turned her stomach since she obviously didn't know how the debit card works on the S&S account. The other things were just minor annoyances. What I don't understand is why she thinks she deserves a full refund of the cruise fare.
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Does anybody have any cheese to go with all this whining?

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Looking forward to a once in a life time trip

Maybe we all have "more money than we know what do with" because we don't waste time and money making such useless claims to the AG and printing business cards to spread bad publicity as you suggested on the previous thread

Seriously, don't take any more vacations. You obviously aren't comfortable with unforeseen circumstances which every vacation carries the risk of delivering.

Old June 17th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Passenger

Sorry you were so bummed out on your carnival cruise. I know right now you think carnival is the worst, but it could happen on any cruise line. Give carnival another change some time in the furture when you cool off. My wife and i prefer carnival, but then we have nothing to compare, as we have only cruised on carnival.
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Captain

Funny how the the OP follow up had some positive things to say but in the initial one it was all bad, horrible, worst trip ever. She may have gotten more empathy had she commented on the things she liked from the beginning.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
This has to be the most negative letter I have ever seen.
I doubt that everything about this cruise was as bad as you portray it.
Selling alcoholic drinks to minors? Did you ever stop to think that the servers also offer soft drinks? My feeling is that they were offering to get a beverage for your child. Not neccessarily an alcoholic one. Yes they often have drinks on their trays for sale. It is also possible that those drinks were on the tray to be delivered to other passengers. I think you assume too much.
As to being assesed twice for the same charges. Why would you let it go? Did you even attempt to go to the pursers desk to discuss it?
So you want a full refund because you did not like the food? I would imagine that Carnival would be deluged in claims for a refund if everyone that found something they did not like asked for a refund. Me, I did not like the bleu cheese cake, where's the end of the line?
Obviously Carnival is doing something right. they are the most popular cruise line in the world. They did not get there by selling a bad product.

Quote:
I drive to port so there is:
1. the cost of gas*
2. the cost of parking*
3. the cost of a hotel room
4. tips, taxes and port fees
5.Pet sitting fees (I have cats and dogs)
6. Travel Insurance
* If flying the gas and parking get replaced by airfare and transfers. If cruising out of Galveston the transfers can be a large cost.
So why should Carnival be responsible for this?
Somehow I do not think Carnival {or any other line} will please you no matter what.

Laura
Quote:
Hi Laura,
I wrote the part you quoted. I don't think Carnival should be responsible for this. That part was just informative for other new cruises. This is a list of additional cost a cruiser needs to consider when deciding if they can afford a cruise. However, Tips, taxes and port fees will be charged by Carnival. That thing to me that gives this post creditability is the fact that she admits to liking the dining room food and the shows. I think it's a waste of time to make up business cards and I think she should not get a full refund. But I also believe she is upset and once she calms down she will realize the business cards are just a little silly.
Sorry Kat, My error. For some reason I was thinking she thought she was entitled to all that too.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Unless you sipped all the drinks on the tray, how can you say the bar waiter tried to sell alcohol to a minor? Some of the drinks on the tray are always virgins. Sometimes they are all virgin and the waiter has a glass of rum so he/she can add liquor if the customer wants a regular drink.

Over the past few years Carnival has impressed me with their rigidity regarding the drinking age. The staff can be immediately terminated if they sell to a minor.
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This has to be the most negative letter I have ever seen.
I doubt that everything about this cruise was as bad as you portray it.
Selling alcoholic drinks to minors? Did you ever stop to think that the servers also offer soft drinks? My feeling is that they were offering to get a beverage for your child. Not neccessarily an alcoholic one. Yes they often have drinks on their trays for sale. It is also possible that those drinks were on the tray to be delivered to other passengers. I think you assume too much.
As to being assesed twice for the same charges. Why would you let it go? Did you even attempt to go to the pursers desk to discuss it?
So you want a full refund because you did not like the food? I would imagine that Carnival would be deluged in claims for a refund if everyone that found something they did not like asked for a refund. Me, I did not like the bleu cheese cake, where's the end of the line?
Obviously Carnival is doing something right. they are the most popular cruise line in the world. They did not get there by selling a bad product.

Quote:
I drive to port so there is:
1. the cost of gas*
2. the cost of parking*
3. the cost of a hotel room
4. tips, taxes and port fees
5.Pet sitting fees (I have cats and dogs)
6. Travel Insurance
* If flying the gas and parking get replaced by airfare and transfers. If cruising out of Galveston the transfers can be a large cost.
So why should Carnival be responsible for this?
Somehow I do not think Carnival {or any other line} will please you no matter what.

Laura
Quote:
Hi Laura,
I wrote the part you quoted. I don't think Carnival should be responsible for this. That part was just informative for other new cruises. This is a list of additional cost a cruiser needs to consider when deciding if they can afford a cruise. However, Tips, taxes and port fees will be charged by Carnival. That thing to me that gives this post creditability is the fact that she admits to liking the dining room food and the shows. I think it's a waste of time to make up business cards and I think she should not get a full refund. But I also believe she is upset and once she calms down she will realize the business cards are just a little silly.
Sorry Kat, My error. For some reason I was thinking she thought she was entitled to all that too.

Laura
That is okay. Those are the kind of costs that people forget about. I don't like surprises so I try to think of the entire cost. I do think that Carnival should charge the $10 per person per day as part of the cruise price and tell people the tips are including in the cruise price. That way the cruisers don't get a surprise when they look at their sail and sign card. Because we have cruised quite a bit we know these things and we forget what it's like to be a new cruiser. I don't think the OP is making it up or an employee of RCL. I think sometimes we (me to) are to hard on people when we feel they are picking on our favorite cruiseline. The fact is two people can take the same cruise and have different experiences. Depends on the cabin steward and dining staff. If there was a hold on my debit card for double the charges it would affect my cruise experience. I think that is a large part of what happened here.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Funny how the the OP follow up had some positive things to say but in the initial one it was all bad, horrible, worst trip ever. She may have gotten more empathy had she commented on the things she liked from the beginning.
You've got to go back to the original post. OP did say pretty much the same positives she give in her last post.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Admiral

I got the feeling that she feels that because she had saved up for so long to have her dream vacation that nothing should go wrong. Yes, I would be upset if I was double billed, but I would work it out and move on. But, apparently, she thinks that the rest of us have "money to burn". Oh dear, I so wish that she was right.
Marty
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
I got the feeling that she feels that because she had saved up for so long to have her dream vacation that nothing should go wrong. Yes, I would be upset if I was double billed, but I would work it out and move on. But, apparently, she thinks that the rest of us have
Quote:
"money to burn".
Oh dear, I so wish that she was right.
Marty
I wish I had money to burn. I work 2 jobs to keep it all together and have money to cruise once in a while.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain