CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Tipping in advance (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/365386-tipping-advance.html)

getsemani1 June 17th, 2009 12:49 PM

Tipping in advance

My upcoming cruise is paid in full, but I have a question. I'm thinking about paying the mandatory $10 per day, per person tip in advance and get that out of the way. I just want to pay off as much as I can before the trip and not have to worry about it.

Any suggestions? Should I pay the tips now or wait?

colorcrazie June 17th, 2009 01:32 PM

Whatever works best for you. If you pre-pay, I'm not sure how you would go about reducing the tip for someone whose service was poor, but that rarely happens anyway and I'm sure the purser's desk would work something out if it did happen.
If the service is way about average, you can always tip extra, which is much more likely to be the case. I think I have removed tips twice in 35 cruises. And, even then, I reallocated one of them, since it was our assistant waiter. I just asked that his tip be moved to the waiter, who did everything the tho of them were supposed to do.
Marty

green_rd June 17th, 2009 05:08 PM

I tend to hang on to my money until the last minute, but if you feel better knowing the the tips are paid, knock yourself out.

getsemani1 June 17th, 2009 07:02 PM

I think I'm gonna stick to pre-paying the tips. I feel better knowing that it would be one less thing to worry about while on vacation.

antoniousmc June 17th, 2009 09:31 PM

I like to pre-pay I less thing to worry and that why I can spend a little more at not feel guilty because I ran the credit card up toooo much

yahootelemundo June 19th, 2009 03:03 PM

I only use pre-pay with royal caribbean , never with carnival , Oh no

ferrangi June 19th, 2009 03:13 PM

I prepay my tips... I also like to purchase bar coupons ahead of time... I know I'm going to drink and so it's one less thing I have to worry about. :wink:

BobMiller June 19th, 2009 05:44 PM

Put the money in the bank to draw interest instead of mailing it in. May get enough to pay the tip on one more drink, but at least you can pay the credit card with less guilt.

Master Chief June 19th, 2009 08:47 PM

yahootelemundo

Care to share with us why the terse comment on not paying Carnival tips in advance?

T C June 19th, 2009 09:53 PM

What's all the "worry" about??? :-? You are going to be on vacation!! The tips are charged to your sail & sign card anyway ... that's less worrry to me :?: You guarantee the sail & sign card with either a credit card or cash .. or both :idea: Relax ... enjoy the cruise don't overspend if you have to worry about the final bill, just add the tip factor in ahead of time. (and in the rare case that it should need adjusting, there won't be any problems) :wink:
TC

tennisbum June 19th, 2009 10:41 PM

why does this subject become more prevalent yhan the other cruise lines?

getsemani1 June 20th, 2009 07:17 AM

Master Chief, why are you comfortable prepaying tips on
Royal Caribbean, but not Carnival? I'm just curious.

Master Chief June 20th, 2009 07:33 AM

getsemani1

I was asking yahootelemundo why he would prepay on RCL and not Carnival. I just leave the tips on my Sign and Sail card. It really is easier for me.

getsemani1 June 20th, 2009 09:02 AM

I'm sorry, I meant to ask yahootelemundo the question and I addressed it to the wrong poster.

Master Chief June 20th, 2009 10:10 AM

getsemani1

Not to worry :) I thought that was what you were doing. Safe cruising!

ferrangi June 20th, 2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T C
What's all the "worry" about??? :-? You are going to be on vacation!! The tips are charged to your sail & sign card anyway ... that's less worrry to me :?: You guarantee the sail & sign card with either a credit card or cash .. or both :idea: Relax ... enjoy the cruise don't overspend if you have to worry about the final bill, just add the tip factor in ahead of time. (and in the rare case that it should need adjusting, there won't be any problems) :wink:
TC

Here's the deal.... if you only have a certain amount of cash and you already paid tips, all the cash you on your card is yours and not already accounted for.
For example... we will probably put a total of $400 on sign & sail cash. If I don't prepay my tips, $140 is already spoken for.
I just like to know the money I put on is the amount I can spend. (or not)
As far as debit card goes.... since they put a hold on it and I have to leave on vacation knowing I have scheduled bills to pay it works better this time to use cash.
It's easier to save for me, if put down a little at a time instead of trying to take a chunk out of 1 or 2 paychecks. :wink:
no worries for me and I say whatever works best for you that's the way you should go.

yahootelemundo June 24th, 2009 07:41 PM

Hi guys , well , maybe is its casuality or not , but everytime i am in a carnival cruise ship. I dont really feel myself to leave extra tip and I even want to reduce the tip. I didnt know about that when I was first in carnival , buy my waiter was so bad that I cant even tell you. Look , I was in a table of 10 people , and he was paying mroe attention to the people that used to pay for drinks from the bar , than people from me ( than dont drink alcohol and dont like to drink code). We felt that if we drink code ( pay extra) he was going to take a better care of us

Not the same in royal , I always increase my tips to those people because they really work hard. I dont know why , but I really feel different with carnival.

getsemani1 June 28th, 2009 11:05 AM

I called Carnival last night to prepay my gratuities and I was told that I had to do that through the travel agent that did the booking. I've tried calling them for the gazillionth time and I'm put on hold for at least 30 minutes and I just hang up. I've called and called to no avail. I guess because it's Sunday or something. I'll keep trying.