Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Familiar Face

Default Passport question I know I know not again new rules??

Ok I am kinda confused about the new rules for passports. If I am sailing out on Miami and to Cozumel, Jamaca and Grand Cayman then back to Miami. Is a passport required? I ask this because in Michigan they are pushing this "Enhanced Drivers License" Which is under the Western Hemisphere Travel Iniative guidelines and is alot cheaper than a passport. As well for the kids with a passport card is cheaper than a passport.

So what to do???

april
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Go get yours....

the changes:

Passports are already required for air travel to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. There are no exceptions, and this will continue after June 1st, 2009.
Starting June 1st, 2009, passports will be required for land and sea travel to these locations, too. Currently, all you have to have is a state-issued photo ID and a birth certificate.
After June 1, 2009, children under age 16 will be able to use a birth certificate instead of a passport for land and sea travel to these locations only.
After June 1, 2009, children ages 16-18 traveling with supervised, chaperoned groups like sports teams, church groups, or school groups will be able to use birth certificates instead of passports, as well.
Passports will still be required for all air travelers, no matter how old.
Passengers on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same US port) may continue to use an ID and birth certificate.
To help US citizens who travel across the border frequently, the Department of State has introduced a wallet-sized passport card that is less expensive than a traditional passport book. Unfortunately, it’s also less useful-you can only use it for land and sea travel to Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean. You can’t use it for plane travel at all.

If you need a new passport, you should apply well in advance of your scheduled departure date, preferably at least 2 or 3 months before your trip. However, if you just realized you need a passport before June 1, there are ways to get a new passport quickly.

The easiest way to get a passport in a hurry is to use a private passport expediting service. An expediting service will deliver your application to the US Passport Agency directly, so it goes to the top of the pile. By using an expediting service, you could have your new passport on its way back to you in as little as 24 hours, with no appointments or waiting in line.

Don’t get caught without a passport after June 1-order your new passport today!

Tags: Canada travel, Caribbean travel, Mexico travel, new passport regulations, WHTI

This entry was posted on Friday, May 1st, 2009 at 10:20 am and is filed under Annoucements. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 17th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Passport question I know I know not again new rules??

Quote:
Originally Posted by april_4_us
Ok I am kinda confused about the new rules for passports. If I am sailing out on Miami and to Cozumel, Jamaca and Grand Cayman then back to Miami. Is a passport required? I ask this because in Michigan they are pushing this "Enhanced Drivers License" Which is under the Western Hemisphere Travel Iniative guidelines and is alot cheaper than a passport. As well for the kids with a passport card is cheaper than a passport.

So what to do???
april
Actually, for a closed loop cruise such as yours nobody needs a passport. This is only true if you leave and re-enter the U.S. on the same cruise ship. For closed loop cruises they will continue to accept an official photo ID and proof of citizenship such as an original or certified true copy of a birth certificate.

However, if you need to leave your cruise before it ends, you will need a full passport (not the passport card) to fly home.

I wish they hadn't muddied the waters on this, but they did. For those who think I am full of it, read the details here: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New...uirements.aspx
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Familiar Face

I did call carnival to ask this question also and the guy said it's a closed loop starting and ending in the same port so no passport only the dl and the certified copy of birth certificate is required but in doing some more research the WHTI syas " all us citizens entering the us at sea or land ports are required to have documents that comply with the WHTI such as passport,passport card,or enhanced dl"
so I guess this means if you need to be flown in to the us you should have a passport.
thanks april
Old June 18th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Familiar Face

OK - so talk to me like I am a child....

If I leave out of Jacksonville, FL - go to the Bahamas - and Mexico - then come back on the same boat - same port....

Do I need a passport??
Old June 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to LeeandKelli

HI puppydogeyessc;

You don't need a passport for your cruise, which is a "closed loop cruise".

I would suggest you think about getting them anyway.

Hope this helps?

Lee & Kelli
Old June 18th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Familiar Face

see thats why I think it's stupid I mean look let me give you an example. I called about cost of a passport and here's what I was told $100 per adult times 2 =$200 and 2 kids at $85 times 2=$170 so a total cost of $$370 thats alot of money to me and I guess its a hit and miss choice just like travel insurance some get it and some don't so I suppose its a gamble. The rules really should be clearer, and I have actually thought about getting the Enhanced dl for my husband and myself but really whats the point???
april
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Passenger

I sailed on the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston, TX from June 7 to June 14th. My family members and I (all adults) did not have passports. After receiving MANY mixed answers, we called Homeland Security. They said that if you embark and debark at the same U.S. port, you do not have to have them. We never had an issue with it anywhere, whatsoever. You only need your driver's license and your birth certificate.

That being said, many people did have passports. Some people told us they bought them specifically for the cruise and would most likely never use them again...that's a lot of money down the drain, if you're asking me.