CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   My Carnival Conquest Review (June 7 - June 14) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/365413-my-carnival-conquest-review-june-7-june-14-a.html)

bribythewater June 18th, 2009 02:52 PM

My Carnival Conquest Review (June 7 - June 14)

I'm not experienced at all with writing reviews, so I'll just give an overview of my experience with the Carnival Conquest. I'm more than happy to answer any questions that anyone has. The ports of call were Montego Bay, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman.

Overall: I genuinely enjoyed the cruise much more than I thought I would. I felt the cruise director, Chris, did a great job with keeping guests informed while also entertaining. The entertainment staff did a great job as well, and kept the activities constantly going. Everyone is extremely friendly, and not only just staff. I guess it's because everyone's on vacation, but anyone you see will smile at you. It's a very feel-good atmosphere.

Food: The food was consistently pretty good. We ate in the Monet dining room, and our waiters were very kind though a bit slow on drink service. I enjoyed all the food on the Lido, and thought the staff there were very accomodating. I lost my dental retainer, and they searched for it for a very long time and were very patient. Allbeit, we never found my retainer, they didn't show any annoyance with my persistence to find as some staff elsewhere might have.

Entertainment:
Some of it is a tiny bit cheesy, but some of it's actually pretty good. I saw John Wesley Austin's general comedy show and also his R-rated show and enjoyed them both very much. Most of the younger teenagers seemed to be kept busy with Club O2, but I do think Carnival is severely lacking when it comes to activities for 18 year olds. There weren't any social activities for us, and places like Henri's were full of people old enough to drink...and thus, were drunk. That being said, I didn't go on a cruise to meet people...so I was fine with that. However, my brother who is also 18 did, and seemed a little disappointed with the lack of social activities for 18-20 year olds. I also met a few other 18 year olds on the deck who felt the same way. The dancing shows are average. If you don't know much about dance, you might enjoy it. I've seen performance art in Vegas though, so I will say I'm a bit snobby when it comes to that, lol. The costumes were very creative, though.

Rooms: We stayed on the 8th floor in an inside stateroom. I was pretty pleased with it. I'm sure it'd be nice to have a window or balcony, but I'm just saying that you probably do not need one to enjoy your vacation. If you think it's worth the extra money, go for it. Our stewardess and her help were AMAZING. Her name was Salisha. Our room & bathroom was so tidy all of the time. She helped me with any questions I had, and was a real "get the job done" type of girl. You'll feel pampered if you're lucky enough to get her as your stewardess. The towel animals are too cute.

Ports of Call:
-Montego Bay, Jamaica: Getting off the boat is sort of a nightmare. There's no need to rush down unless you have an excursion to get to. The process of leaving the ship at Montego Bay seemed really unorganized, but it was my first cruise..so maybe that's how it always goes. At Montego Bay, we did a Dolphin Encounter and Dunn's River Falls. I got some very cute "kissing the dolphin" pictures, but honestly you will not spend much time with them. The entire thing lasts probably 7 minutes. Dunn's River Falls...amazing! My brother and I climbed it and our parents climbed the trail on the side and took pictures. It's 960 feet of beautiful waterfall. It looks more intimidating than it actually is. I'm in good physical condition and was a little nervous upon first seeing it...however, there were women who were probably at least 50-60 with us, who climbed it. It's a really exhilarating experience, and it's a group of about 20 people who all work together. By the end, you feel like you've made really good friends and it's just generally a really nice experience. Our guide was Tamisha, and she was a very strong woman...you don't have to worry about not making it a few of the rocks..she'll just lift you if she needs to, lol.

Warning about Jamaica: You'll meet some friendly types, and you'll meet some shady types. I would not go into Jamaica alone. Tourism is basically Jamaica's revenue, so the vendors are extremely pushy and some will even do sleazy things to try to get you to buy. The vendors weren't bad at Dolphin Cove, but the one's outside of Dunn's River Falls are another story. Also the drivers there are not kidding around, lol. It's pretty intense, so just be aware. And it's true that they WILL try to sell you ganja. Me and my father were both offered some on two separate occasions. It isn't that they're bad people, so there's no need to feel disrespect. The wealth is not evenly dispersed, so it's really just their way of life. Don't let it ruin your day.

Grand Cayman: Cayman is GORGEOUS. You'd be safe here going off on your own, with common sense of course. We did the Ray Runner Boat & Stingray City Snorkel tour& also went parasailing. Definitely my favorite excursion by far. You drive the boat yourself and there isn't a guide with you in the boat, you just follow them. My brother had a lot of fun with this..maybe a little too much fun, lol. The stingrays are beautiful and fascinating. The guides are extremely knowledgeable & take tons of pictures which are affordable. The snorkel tour is great as well. The tour guides are very lax; if you are a strong swimmer, you don't have to wear a life jacket. This enabled me and a few other swimmers to lose the snorkel and go completely underwater, literally swimming right over coral reefs. The marine life is beautiful...so many fish with neon colors, and the plant life is breathtaking. Not to mention the entire time, you go WAY out into the ocean and it's chest-deep, turquoise water. The most beautiful water I've ever seen in my life, by leaps and bounds. Now to parasailing...a lot of fun, pictures come on a memory card (about 150 pictures are taken, and you get to keep the memory card, for $25...not bad since a 2G memory card costs about $22 or so), but take TONS of sunscreen. So many people got fried here. The winds make it impossible to tell you're being burnt, plus when you parasail, you also wait on about 8 other couples to parasail in your boat, plus 8 couples from another boat. Beautiful view, feels like you're floating in air. Definitely do not regret doing it, but probably would not do it over and over again personally as you parasail for about 7 minutes then watch other people parasail for 2 hours. Eat at Senor Frogs if you're the fun-loving type...amazing food, huge portions (the nachos are ridiculous), and a generally good time...tons of opportunities for free shots.

Embarkation/Debarkation: I guess it was okay as far as embarkation/debarkation goes haha. Obviously it's never fun. In the very long embarkation line while you're holding your carry-ons most likely, every single person in your group will be given a "health" form that centers around the swine flu. You won't be given a pen and there is no surface to write on, but you will be expected to fill it out by the time you get to the desks...have fun with that. Debarkation was slightly better. We got off the ship at least an hour earlier than we were even supposed to dock, and customs sent us right through. They said there'd be dogs, 1 in every 3 people would be checked, etc....I didn't see any of that lol. Not advocating any bringing of illegal things back to the US because 9 times out of 10, it might be there. That's just my experience.

A few tips I wish I'd known: Simply put, there's "something" about the food lol. Several guests mentioned it. Plan on more potty trips than usual. They have little amenities like toothpaste, razors, tylenol pm, benefiber (lol), pepcid ac, etc, so you don't really need to bring them unless you just want to. Bring enough clothes because laundry is quite the ordeal that you just don't wanna put up with on your vacation. Room service IS free, but you should tip the person who brings it. I would bring more than one bathing suit so you don't have to constantly hang them up. I didn't think I'd ever wear mine, but honestly there are people of ALL shapes and sizes...nothing at all to be ashamed of (no one even thinks anything about it, it's vacation), so just bring it, wear it, have a great time. :)[/b]

bribythewater June 18th, 2009 03:15 PM

I'm not sure if you're allowed to post pictures...so hopefully I won't get banned or anything :/ lol. Here are a few. We ended up taking like 800, it was ridiculous.

http://i41.tinypic.com/244ytxw.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/258crv6.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2hwpszt.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/9kqv77.jpg

Some quick picture price figures: dolphin cove - 3 for $30
stingray city - 10 for $40
parasailing - approx. 150 with 2G memory card - $25

dina June 18th, 2009 03:21 PM

Thank you so much for the review. I'm glad you had a great time. People tend to go a little crazy with all of the food choices so I'm not surprised. LOL

And yes.. It's definitely noticed about the lack of entertainment for 18-20 year olds. I personally think that the industry just doesn't know what to think. Perhaps you could make some suggestions as to what you would have liked to do and it can be passed on would be helpful. :D

briguy June 18th, 2009 04:55 PM

Nice job on the review. It was thorough and fun to read. Glad you had a good time. First cruises are always special. The newness of it all is really cool. Bet you cant wait to do it again huh?

katlady June 18th, 2009 05:57 PM

You won't get banned for posting pictures. I do it all the time. :D Great review you are a excellent writer. I normally cruise out of California so I have never been to those ports. It was interesting to hear about Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I don't know if I have the courage to Parasail.

You might consider submitting the review to the reader review portion of the website. Here is a link.
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ise_review.cfm

green_rd June 18th, 2009 07:06 PM

Hi Bri,

Ditto, thanks for the nice review. As Katlady said you can post a reader review, they have a little more staying power for those seeking reviews. You can also create a photo gallery with even more of your cruise photos.

You write very well. You might even want to send a suggestion about what Carnival could do better to serve your age bracket. Us old geezers sometimes don't have a clue.

bribythewater June 18th, 2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dina
Thank you so much for the review. I'm glad you had a great time. People tend to go a little crazy with all of the food choices so I'm not surprised. LOL

And yes.. It's definitely noticed about the lack of entertainment for 18-20 year olds. I personally think that the industry just doesn't know what to think. Perhaps you could make some suggestions as to what you would have liked to do and it can be passed on would be helpful. :D

Thank you for taking the time to read & for your feedback! I can see where it would be hard to find social activities for 18-20 year olds. Meetings that are "set-up" are always a little awkward, sort of like at college orientation, but I think 18-20 year olds would be more than willing to do it if they knew they'd meet people. I think a type of place like Club O2 but for 18-20 year olds would be good. I'll look around for a suggestion place online :) Thanks again!

bribythewater June 18th, 2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briguy
Nice job on the review. It was thorough and fun to read. Glad you had a good time. First cruises are always special. The newness of it all is really cool. Bet you cant wait to do it again huh?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm actually considering majoring in English so it feels good to get some positive feedback, haha. I'm really excited to do it again. I'm planning on saving up some money (we'll see how that goes with freshman year of college haha) and going next summer maybe to the Eastern Caribbean with some friends :)

bribythewater June 18th, 2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
You won't get banned for posting pictures. I do it all the time. :D Great review you are a excellent writer. I normally cruise out of California so I have never been to those ports. It was interesting to hear about Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I don't know if I have the courage to Parasail.

You might consider submitting the review to the reader review portion of the website. Here is a link.
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ise_review.cfm

Thank you! I think it'd be lovely to cruise out of California, on the western side of Mexico. I'd like to do that sometime. You should try parasailing if you get the chance. My brother's sort of afraid of heights, but like I said, it's just like you're floating in air..it's oddly quiet and peaceful. Thanks for the link! I'll definitely submit it :)

bribythewater June 18th, 2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green_rd
Hi Bri,

Ditto, thanks for the nice review. As Katlady said you can post a reader review, they have a little more staying power for those seeking reviews. You can also create a photo gallery with even more of your cruise photos.

You write very well. You might even want to send a suggestion about what Carnival could do better to serve your age bracket. Us old geezers sometimes don't have a clue.

Thank you very much! I'm going to submit my review soon and I'm going to start researching somewhere to submit some suggestions. I see you have an upcoming cruise planned! I hope you have a nice time :)

T C June 18th, 2009 11:06 PM

Very good job Bri!

Your review was full of useful information, and fun to read!
TC

rollerdonna June 19th, 2009 03:30 AM

Nice review on the Conquest, glad you enjoyed your cruise. Loved your photos too!
I like to write reviews with photos as well, see mine on this page for the Carnival Freedom!

donna

Pocono Pug June 19th, 2009 11:30 AM

Nice job on the reviewand congrats on your 1st cruise, now your hooked like the rest of us. I too was amazed when I took my 1st cruise. I hope your future cruises are as enjoyable as your 1st. Welcome to the addiction of cruising

lifeisschool June 20th, 2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bribythewater
Quote:

Originally Posted by briguy

Thanks for the feedback! I'm actually considering majoring in English so it feels good to get some positive feedback, haha. I'm really excited to do it again. I'm planning on saving up some money (we'll see how that goes with freshman year of college haha) and going next summer maybe to the Eastern Caribbean with some friends :)

So, maybe going into writing for travel magazines?!? LOL You did a great review, Bri! And have fun with your new addiction! :wink:

bribythewater June 26th, 2009 05:09 PM

Haha, thanks for all the reply guys! And yeah, I guess I'm officially addicted since I'm still feeling the withdrawls :( haha

hammer June 27th, 2009 09:47 AM

I was on that cruise. I also had a great time. You may have met my sons, Aaron (20) and Brennon (17) and our guest Drew (20). We were also on the 8th floor. We got a balcony this time and it was worth the extra money. I did not need the balcony to have a good time, though.