Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Carnival vs. NCL

I have eight cruises on Carnival, but want to try NCL can anyone compare the two? Should I take my next two on Carnival (I have been doing one and the occasion two a year) just to reach VIP before I try something else?

I love Carnival will I love NCL too?
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Admiral

If you like Carnival I think you will like NCL. In my opinion each has certain things that they do better than the other. Give them a try. We usually go Carnival but intend to mix in a few NCL.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:12 PM
First Mate

I think you will love NCL as well. We have cruised with both and have found very little difference between them.

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:38 PM
First Mate

Only hope you do not go to the "naughty room "for bringing on any booze because you will miss any sail away party.This is by far the most strict of any cruise line.
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Admiral

I really like NCL as well, EXCEPT for the anytime dining, with no choice to have traditional dining. If that doesn't bother you, then YES, you'll love NCL as much as Carnival.

Ken
"SKY"
Old June 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

NCL charged me $15 a bottle for each of the two wine bottles I had in my carry on. Did help a fellow passenger sneak on board with two bottles of booze she bought in the bahamas. I kept them busy checking in what we bought as we did not want to consume it on board. We say they have no system whatsoever (on the dawn and spirit) of getting you your booze the night before you disembark. They called us up to a large room, had nothing sorted by room number and it was quite a frenzy (both times). Carnival delivered to our cabin every time. I loved the anytime dining with NCL especially liked the Dawn's sushi deal in the asian restaurant. Entertainment was fantastic - so as others are saying each one is a little different from the other and neither was a disappointment
Old June 23rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
Passenger

I have been on 8 Carnival cruises and I took my first NCL cruise in April this year and I really liked it. If they cruise the Caribbean in the summer I would have taken another this year. I think you will enjoy it if you enjoy Carnival. Good luck.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to cfwright6

Stay with Carnival, get your VIP status!
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
Only hope you do not go to the "naughty room "for bringing on any booze because you will miss any sail away party.This is by far the most strict of any cruise line.
Uh OH ! What's the "naughty room" ? Is it the brig on B deck ?

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old June 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I do believe you will enjoy NCL. I have cruised both NCL and Carnival and overall I enjoy NCL more. The main reason is "Freestyle Cruising".

I love being able to eat where, when and with who I want. I have never had a problem getting a reservation in a specialty restaurant. The video screens that show the restaurant availability are great and if you are flexible there is always one that is available.

Add $100 - $150 to your cruise budget to enjoy all of the restaurants and you will have some of the best food at sea.

You will also be able to stay in your cabin on the last day. Have breakfast in the dining room or the buffet and leave when your color is called or when you want. On my last two Carnival cruises everything was great until the last day when I felt like a cow being herded off the ship.

I would never limit myself to one cruise line just to obtain Platinum status. This reason puts limits on where and when you want to cruise. I have elite status only on Celebrity and it is about sixth on the list when I look for a cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Passenger

We have enjoyed all of our NCL cruises. The newer NCL ships are much different from the older NCL Majesty. The Majesty is leaving the fleet at the end of this year and although we enjoyed the cruise, it is much smaller and fewer restaurants make it more difficult for freestyle dining.

It took me 18 years to come back to Carnival and we really enjoyed the Miracle last year. Now, I am trying to decide whether to book NCL or Carnival to Alaska for summer 2010. If we go with NCL, we will move up to Gold status. If we go Carnival, we will only be on our 3rd but will save lots of money to put towards some shore excursions.
Old July 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Admiral

For Alaska, put as much money as you can into shore excursions. It is an amazing place. And, unless you plan on going back, try to see as much of it as you can. I love both Carnival and NCL, but I would definitely put my money into excursions for the experience. Just my 2 cents, which doesn't buy much anymore, so I'm happy to spend it here!
Marty
Old July 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:
No just a public room they put checked bags that appear to have booze in them when scanned. Perhaps 10% of the bags with booze make it there. No you won't miss sail away. You get a note, go to the room, open your bag yourself, hand over the booze, and off you go to your cabin.

The "scary naughty room" on the Jewel

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old July 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy

Which bag is yours?
Old July 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM
First Mate

For the record on the Majesty it took more than an hour for most passengers to secure their bag from the" Naughty Room"and there were at least 25-50 people in line and only one bag was opened at a time.
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
For the record on the Majesty it took more than an hour for most passengers to secure their bag from the" Naughty Room"and there were at least 25-50 people in line and only one bag was opened at a time.
This does not impress me to go with NCL...I get the rules but lets get real we all "sneak" booze on and still have very high liquor bills (don't flame me to say you don't) - ok at least I do.
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcruiser212
Quote:
This does not impress me to go with NCL...I get the rules but lets get real we all "sneak" booze on and still have very high liquor bills (don't flame me to say you don't) - ok at least I do.
Not intended to impress you but something you should be aware of. Take you shot and with a little creativity most get booze onboard. Just don't be surprised if your bag is one that does not make it to the cabin.
The alternative that I now take advantage of is to pre-order a bar setup. Full liters of your liquors of choice waiting in the cabin. Not cheap but about 1/3 the price of by the drink and so nice to have something in the room to enjoy on the balcony.

NCL JADE, GEM, PEARL, DAWN, JEWEL, SPIRIT, SUN Pics.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimalaska
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
Quote:
No just a public room they put checked bags that appear to have booze in them when scanned. Perhaps 10% of the bags with booze make it there. No you won't miss sail away. You get a note, go to the room, open your bag yourself, hand over the booze, and off you go to your cabin.

OK thanks !

/ticker.png">