Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Passenger

Default Wheel Chair Accessible Room? What's the difference?

I'm really confused. I just booked a last minute cruise on the Destiny. I received my room number and when I look on the deck plan it looks like the room is sideways. Room 7294.

So I do further research and I find out the room is a wheelchair accessible doorway room. I assume it's a special wheel chair room inside too.

How are these rooms different? Should I ask to be changed?
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had a`wheelchair accesible room once on the Conquest - It was a really great room> bathroom was twice the size, larger entranceway> Would NEVER ask for one, but it was one of the nicest cabins ever had
Old June 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcruiser212
I had a`wheelchair accesible room once on the Conquest - It was a really great room> bathroom was twice the size, larger entranceway>
Quote:
Would NEVER ask for one, but it was one of the nicest cabins ever had
Funcruiser, Thank you for adding that. As an advocate for handicapped people. I feel that the handicapped rooms should never be offered to the general public until they are sure that a handicapped cruiser won't be needing it.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Passenger

I did not ask for this room! I also would never ask for this room! I saw online they have 25 of these on this ship, and my guess is since the cruise is about a week and a half away they started releasing these to fill capacity. From the moment I found out I felt bad accepting this room should there be someone who truly needs it. But, my husband insist that they probably had to put us there because they don't need this room for people with a disability, and the other rooms are filling up. I don't know. We booked two rooms on the same floor near each other.

I'm just wondering, if it's not possible to change rooms without an upgrade, what are the differences? I once was given a wheel chair accessible room in Disney, they saw my elderly grandmother in a wheelchair, but we asked to be changed because the sinks and other features were very low. Also, the room had no tub, and in the end my grandmother could walk short distances, so it was not necessary.

I would never ask for a room someone truly needed. In the same token, if I can't change, I want to know if the room will be different and in what ways.
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Mosey, I knew it was an upgrade offered by the cruiseline. If you need to change call your TA or Carnival and check with them.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 27th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Passenger

I'll be calling first thing Monday. My understanding is the cruise is almost sold out, so, if I can't get the change, I wanted to know what to expect. Anyone else have any experience with these types of rooms?
Old June 27th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Passenger

Default UPDATE: Destiny Handicap Room

Well, I found this review online that specifically mentions my room as being the "worst on the whole ship". So, as you might imagine I'm going to fight to have it changed. Yes, it's wheelchair accessible, but not like the standard ones. This one is "non-standard" and smaller. Also, it backs up to an elevator shaft which is constantly loud.

For those persons needing room for a wheelchair, be advised that the review says it's not big enough to move around easily. There are 5 of these "non-standard" wheelchair accessible rooms, so if you utilize a wheelchair make sure you do not get one of these "non-standard" rooms!!! Hope this helps someone!

Here is the review:

http://www.sealetter.com/Dec-96/destedit.html