Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Early Saver Penalty for existing guests

Has anyone ever had a guest in their cabin cancel with the Early Saver?

My sister came down with a flu and called to cancel her existing cruise reservation tonight.

She was supposed to leave with us this Monday June 29. She took no travel ins. This is not the problem though she knows she is losing her money for the booking but when I looked up our reservation my booking and the 3rd person in the cabin's fare went up a whole lot and then there was a booking fee added for 1000.00 and my on board credit of 400.00 is no longer listed.

Does anyone know how much they charge the existing cabinmates if one of the guests gets sick and cancels?

I am just about ready to have a heart attack here in the middle of the night worrying how the heck are we going to come up with this kind of money in two days time especially since my cabinmate and myself had already paid in full back in April.

Has this happened to anyone else recently?

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry your sister got sick. Just my opinion,,,Since she called and cancelled, your triple reservation just became a double so you are getting charged the current charge for two. Also maybe you had to have 3 ppl in the cabin for the OBC. It might have been better if your sister just didn't show. This is another example why travel insurance is necessary.
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Yeoman

Since your sister isn't going to get any money back, I can't understand why you have to pay more! Are they really allowed to do that?
Old June 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Captain

Just had a customer who had 4 cabins booked on Carnival. One of the 8 passengers couldn't go so we changed the booking. The first person at Carnival said it would save about $100 but the person who actually made the correction came up with an extra $2.90 (keep in mind the person who is paying this paid for all 8 people!). So Carnival got their pennies BUT lost future business (the group was mostly young adults so how many cruises will that add up to?).

Not editorializing and I don't steer customers away from lines (OK "NCL" is the exception) but I swear customer service is what is really hurting all the lines, Robbie
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Robbie you are exactly right Customer service is hurting the lines. One rep says one thng and you can call back many different other times and are told differently. Erik & Lv thanks for the input also.

My sister ended up going but her cancelled flight from NC to Tampa ended up costing her 800.00 to reinstate it. Carnival put her back on the booking as it was for the cruise.

Carnival doesn't show the 200.00 on board credit I paid out of my ck book for her as a gift so we now have to call tommorrow when they open up in the early am and speak to the Bon Voyage Dept who handles on board credit about where the heck the 200.00 went to? I guess time will tell if it all works out for we sail tommorrow out of Tampa.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
Robbie you are exactly right Customer service is hurting the lines. One rep says one thng and you can call back many different other times and are told differently. Erik & Lv thanks for the input also.

My sister ended up going but her cancelled flight from NC to Tampa ended up costing her 800.00 to reinstate it. Carnival put her back on the booking as it was for the cruise.

Carnival doesn't show the 200.00 on board credit I paid out of my ck book for her as a gift so we now have to call tommorrow when they open up in the early am and speak to the Bon Voyage Dept who handles on board credit about where the heck the 200.00 went to? I guess time will tell if it all works out for we sail tommorrow out of Tampa.
Wow that is very stressful. I have no good advice, sorry. I just wanted to wish you luck and I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Once you get back please let us know how it all worked out.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Early Saver Penalty for existing guests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro
Has anyone ever had a guest in their cabin cancel with the Early Saver?

My sister came down with a flu and called to cancel her existing cruise reservation tonight.

She was supposed to leave with us this Monday June 29. She took no travel ins. This is not the problem though she knows she is losing her money for the booking but when I looked up our reservation my booking and the 3rd person in the cabin's fare went up a whole lot and then there was a booking fee added for 1000.00 and my on board credit of 400.00 is no longer listed.

Does anyone know how much they charge the existing cabinmates if one of the guests gets sick and cancels?

I am just about ready to have a heart attack here in the middle of the night worrying how the heck are we going to come up with this kind of money in two days time especially since my cabinmate and myself had already paid in full back in April.

Has this happened to anyone else recently?
Your post doesn't provide a clear picture of the situation. How many were originally booked in the cabin? Did each of you pay the same amount or did two of you pay full fare and the other(s) pay the 3rd/4th person rate? Wasour sister the 3rd person? The answers to these question has a direct bearing on how this scenario played out. Did you book directly with Carnival or with a TA? $1,000 "booking fee" sounds way off. Can you clarify?
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Ro, you will be at sea soon, and hopefully not worrying too much about money. I'm sorry your sister got ill and was unable to cruise. No travel ins. was a costly mistake for her. How about you and your other cabin mate? Most travel ins. policies cover at least some additional expense should a traveling companion become ill.

As mentioned below when your sister canceled your triple become a double, so the 3rd passenger discount just went away.

I'm a little confused on the booking details. The Early Saver program did not include OBC (I don't think) just the guarantee of the cheapest rate.

Hope things work out and you can update us on your return.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Admiral

It worked out well we just returned. All five of us had a wonderful time. Carnival ended up just putting my sister back in the cabin suite as it was before without any penalty. It ended up being a wonderful cruise. Thanks for the support.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011