Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Default Mayan Ruins Questions AND OTHER Shore Exc.

there are several ruins on the progresso and cozumel trips, but most are 6.5 - 7 hrs long ! UGH ! 2 1/2 hrs up and 2 1/2 hrs back and only about 2 hours at he ruins ! there are a few that are 4 to 5hrs long do you know if they have REAL RUINS OR REPLICAS.

also has anyone did the jungle or beach ATV rides or the underwater scooter ! i want to do some adventerous activities ! ANY suggestions are welcome.

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Conquest 9 / 2003

Carnival Conquest 12/9/2007

Carnival Triumph 12/7/2009
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Captain

The tour to Chichenitzen (sp) is very very worth it! Yes, it's long but it is grand. You can even climb the main temple if you want to, so yes, it's the real thing. The drive was about 1 1/2 hour each way, but we had a nice lecture about the site and the people on the way there and on the way back we boarded the bus, picked up a brown bag lunch and cold drink, lowered the window shades and napped on the way back.

I am not super duper into ruins but this was truly worthwhile.
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:57 PM
First Mate

Tulum ruins are as authentic as you get. It’s a great tour and the view of the ocean behind the main temple is spectacular, but I’m not sure it’s worth the 7 hrs round trip from Cozumel. We had a much closer port on the mainland.

I have also done the underwater scooters in St Maartin. It was ok. Had more fun snorkeling. It is not much more than a dive helmet, tank, seat, and motor. The helmet makes it easier than diving but the scooter part really didn’t add as much as you would think. It gets moved real easy by the currents and the motor isn’t big enough to give you the amount of control you would like. It is not at waste of money, however, and is an enjoyable experience. The helmet diving is better. You get closer to the sights because you don’t risk running into them with the scooter.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Sadly, most of the real ruins on Cozumel were destroyed by a hurricane a few years ago, so you will only find replicas there. I'm not aware of any real ones close to Progresso, but I could very well be wrong about that.
Marty
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM
First Mate

The two big Mayan excursions in Progresso are Chitzenitza (sp) and Uxmal....
(If I remember correctly, Uxmal was 30 minutes closer each way, than Chitzenitza)

We chose Uxmal so we could have a smaller group and more access to the ruins.

When we docked, they loaded 4 full large busloads to Chitzenitza and started loading a 5th before they loaded our group of 8 into a van for the ride to Uxmal.

When we arrived at Uxmal it was our group, a german group of about 5or 6 people and a handful of locals touring the sites. (maybe 35 people total in the entire site. Less than got loaded on each bus to Chitchzenitza)

The only ruins you couldn't walk on, in or through was the main pyramid at the front of the park and the hoop for the ballcourt. (I'm sure if they let you, some idiot would hang on it, like a basketball hoop and break it off)

The entire rest of the site was open to walk through, on in and up...
It was incredible.
Definitely nice to be able to walk right up to the sculptures in the walls and see the up close.

When we got back, the people who went to Chitzenitza said that everything was roped off, so you couldn't climb on it and everywhere was line after line after line, waiting to walk up behind ropes to see the ruins.

They were jealous when we told them how open and non-crowded our ruins were and showed them the pictures.

Basically, if you want to see a place that everybody has heard of, go to Chitzenitza.
If you would prefer to actually explore the ruins a bit and have a much, much smaller crowd, go to Uxmal.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM
First Mate

The two big Mayan excursions in Progresso are Chitzenitza (sp) and Uxmal....
(If I remember correctly, Uxmal was 30 minutes closer each way, than Chitzenitza)

We chose Uxmal so we could have a smaller group and more access to the ruins.

When we docked, they loaded 4 full large busloads to Chitzenitza and started loading a 5th before they loaded our group of 8 into a van for the ride to Uxmal.

When we arrived at Uxmal it was our group, a german group of about 5or 6 people and a handful of locals touring the sites. (maybe 35 people total in the entire site. Less than got loaded on each bus to Chitchzenitza)

The only ruins you couldn't walk on, in or through was the main pyramid at the front of the park and the hoop for the ballcourt. (I'm sure if they let you, some idiot would hang on it, like a basketball hoop and break it off)

The entire rest of the site was open to walk through, on in and up...
It was incredible.
Definitely nice to be able to walk right up to the sculptures in the walls and see the up close.

When we got back, the people who went to Chitzenitza said that everything was roped off, so you couldn't climb on it and everywhere was line after line after line, waiting to walk up behind ropes to see the ruins.

They were jealous when we told them how open and non-crowded our ruins were and showed them the pictures.

Basically, if you want to see a place that everybody has heard of, go to Chitzenitza.
If you would prefer to actually explore the ruins a bit and have a much, much smaller crowd, go to Uxmal.

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Maybe I can help.
I've visited both Chichen Itza and Uxmal and both are very much worth seeing. Chichen Itza is roped off while Uxmal is largely accessible.

/ticker.png">
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Passenger

I visited the Tulum Mayan Ruins last summer and it was awesome! We went to Tulum when our ship, The Facination, docked in Cozumel. It was my first trip to Mexico and I didn't mind the 30 mile ride through the countryside at all especially in an air conditioned bus. The only drawback was we only had 1 hr. and 15 minutes at the ruins. The bus stopped at a co-op before we arrived at the ruins and we waisted about 40 minutes there. Of course, they want you to buy things there which we did. Tulum is a walled city and the view from the cliffs looking over the Carribean Sea was breathtaking.

Two weeks ago we visited Altun Ha Mayan Ruins in Belize. though not as nice as Tulum it was still quite facinating. I was able to climb to the top of the main temple which you cannot do at Tulum. As part of the excursion, we took a tour of Belize City but I could have done without that. If I had to do it all over again, I would have taken the boat ride up the River Wallace to the ruins. I think that would have been alot more fun.

Hope you have a good time!
Carnival Valor June 14, 2009 (Grand Cayman, Honduras, Belize & Key West USA)
Old July 1st, 2009, 07:42 AM
Admiral

We visited Uxmal from Progreso and thought it was a great excursion. The bus ride was not overly long and gave the opportunity to see the countryside. As stated almost everything is open and you are free to roam and climb. While I am not really into ruins, Uxmal is the real thing and very much worth seeing. 8)
54 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle, Breeze, Sunshine X2
6 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old July 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM
Admiral

Dzibilchaltun is fairly close to Progresso if you don't want to take a long bus ride. It was pretty well excavated and very interesting.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014