Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Familiar Face

Default Love The Debit Card.....But When Will I Need Cash?

We will stop in Key West and Nassau on our cruise.

I love my debit card and really do not like to carry a lot of cash when we are on vacation.

When will I need cash?

We may go to Atlantis and if so it will be on our own and not part of a scheduled excursion.

Since Key West is a U.S. city, I would think that debit cards are accepted at most places just like in any other U.S. city.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ships I've Sailed:

Carnival Fascination July 6th 2009

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Admiral

Your debit card will be fine in Key West. Some places in Nassau might be OK but I would prefer to use cash there. Be aware if you use your debit card on the ship to secure your sign & sail they will put a hold on large chunks of cash in your account and all of the money in there may not be available to you. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Passenger

I agree, Key West you'll be fine at. Even Nassau probably, especially at the Atlantis, but you should always have some cash for the street vendors, and for tips.
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Admiral

I recommend keeping $50 cash on you for small purchases you m,ay make, as well as tips, while you are in a port. What I do is keep one envelope containing $50 in small bills in my cabin safe - one for each port day as well as one for each travel day (for meals/snacks in airports).

Thenk, just carry the day's cash in a deep front pants pocket and put a fake wallet with fake money on top of it). If someone picks your pocket, they will get the fake wallet. Keep your ids' passport, S&S card, etc, in either a money belt or other security pouch.

I'll now be using a bra pouch for ids, credit card, and a 5 $20 bills for emergencies).This clips on to my bra strap; then it's easy to get to if you need it. I also don't have to keep checking my pockets to make sure a wallet didn't get stolen. I guarangee I'll know if someone gets their hand down my cleavage!
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to wakedreams

and taxis in Nassau.
&
tips on board for room service...we like to take a stack of ones & fives, to be able to pay for taxis and room serivce tips.
Carnival Triumph 11/2008
Carnival Celebration 10/2007
Carnival Victory 11/2006
Disney Wonder 1/2006
Carnival Legend 10/2005
Carnival Victory 3/2005
Carnival Triumph 8/2004
Carnival Sensation 6/2002
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:27 PM
First Mate

A word of warning, if you use your debit card for your sail and sign deposit the hold for your deposit may not get lifted by the bank for several days after your card gets debited to pay your sail and sign so you could end up with twice as much held as you actually spend. Make sure your bank account is big enough to cover that and your expenses to get home, or that any money you need for your return trip is in a different account.

Also a lot of shops in foriegn ports charge more if you use credit /debit cards.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959
I recommend keeping $50 cash on you for small purchases you m,ay make, as well as tips, while you are in a port. What I do is keep one envelope containing $50 in small bills in my cabin safe - one for each port day as well as one for each travel day (for meals/snacks in airports).

Thenk, just carry the day's cash in a deep front pants pocket and put a fake wallet with fake money on top of it). If someone picks your pocket, they will get the fake wallet. Keep your ids' passport, S&S card, etc, in either a money belt or other security pouch.

I'll now be using a bra pouch for ids, credit card, and a 5 $20 bills for emergencies).This clips on to my bra strap; then it's easy to get to if you need it. I also don't have to keep checking my pockets to make sure a wallet didn't get stolen. I guarangee I'll know if someone gets their hand down my cleavage!

Why the fake wallet? Its asking for trouble. If you dont carry a real one or its hidden better then you wont be a target anyway. Hide your money and keep the wallet pickers away. Dont be a victim..
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959

Why the fake wallet? Its asking for trouble. If you dont carry a real one or its hidden better then you wont be a target anyway. Hide your money and keep the wallet pickers away. Dont be a victim..
You know I kind of agree with the fake wallet thing myself, not necessarily with fake money though. I think that would just make a thief more irate if he opened it in front of you. However, if he snatches it and runs, then "surprise" to him.

My sister was recently attacked in broad daylight just a few feet from the door to a drugstore. She had been talking to me on her cell phone and as soon as we said "bye" she looked down to punch the end key on the phone. At that exact moment she was attacked from behind by a large man who snuck up on her. She never heard him. He immediately and violently jammed a substance into her nose and began vigorously rubbing the substance into her eyes. She does not know what it was, but it burned her nose and throat and eyes and she could not see. He literally picked her up, taking her phone and purse and tried to get her rings and watch. Luckly thanks to witnesses he and his driver accomplice were caught about an hour later with her belongings. They kept her cash ($25) and used her credit cards within 15 minutes of the assault. This is apparently a new mode of theft/attack without a real weapon.

Since then, I have considered putting my money and debit or credit card in my pocket, and carrying an old purse, with an old wallet. My thoughts are that if they grab my purse and run, maybe they will leave me alone. If I go into a store without a purse and my cards and money in my pocket they would know that I had to have cash somewhere on my body.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMiller
A word of warning, if you use your debit card for your sail and sign deposit the hold for your deposit may not get lifted by the bank for several days after your card gets debited to pay your sail and sign so you could end up with twice as much held as you actually spend. Make sure your bank account is big enough to cover that and your expenses to get home, or that any money you need for your return trip is in a different account.

Also a lot of shops in foriegn ports charge more if you use credit /debit cards.
Okay, here's a question I'm sure has already been answered somewhere.
If we already have cash on our s&s acount.... (min required $200 each)
can we still use our debit card and if so... at what point would they place the hold on it?
Carnival-Splendor Sept 6, 2009

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:16 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrangi
Quote:
A word of warning, if you use your debit card for your sail and sign deposit the hold for your deposit may not get lifted by the bank for several days after your card gets debited to pay your sail and sign so you could end up with twice as much held as you actually spend.
can we still use our debit card and if so... at what point would they place the hold on it?
From what I have been told, If you spend more than the deposit they add a hold for each purchase in the amount of the purchase. By the end of the cruise, the hold equals the total that you owe on the S&S. If your bank is on the ball the hold will release when the total amount gets debited but I have seen banks that take several days to release the hold.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
A word of warning, if you use your debit card for your sail and sign deposit the hold for your deposit may not get lifted by the bank for several days after your card gets debited to pay your sail and sign so you could end up with twice as much held as you actually spend.
From what I have been told, If you spend more than the deposit they add a hold for each purchase in the amount of the purchase. By the end of the cruise, the hold equals the total that you owe on the S&S. If your bank is on the ball the hold will release when the total amount gets debited but I have seen banks that take several days to release the hold.
So just to clarify... if we have 400.00 on s&s for 2 of us and on day 5 we only have say... $50 left... are you saying the won't put a hold on our debit card unless we charge/spend more than $50.00??
I thought I was under the impression they would. Maybe that's because when we used our credit card we had to keep going to the pursers desk while they requested more money.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So just to clarify... if we have 400.00 on s&s for 2 of us and on day 5 we only have say... $50 left... are you saying the won't put a hold on our debit card unless we charge/spend more than $50.00??
I thought I was under the impression they would. Maybe that's because when we used our credit card we had to keep going to the pursers desk while they requested more money.
They should not hold more than the original deposit, unless you spend more than the deposited amount, then they may put more on hold. If you still have $50 of the deposit available then they will not put more on hold.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
Old July 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They should not hold more than the original deposit, unless you spend more than the deposited amount, then they may put more on hold. If you still have $50 of the deposit available then they will not put more on hold.

I have been a bit surprised by this post in regards to the hold on debit cards. We almost always use our debit card and even though we almost always exceed the deposit amount, we have not had a problem with an extended hold on the account, so this post surprised me. In fact, I have even checked our account after we got home and the charges for the cruise incidentals did not hit our account for several days. I also verify the amount charged to my bank against my final receipt from the ship to be sure that I was charged correctly at my bank. I have never had a problem with this, but you never know.

I believe, though, if you are experiencing a problem with this, or think that you are spending over the amount of the deposit, that you can pay a cash amount against your sail and sign account during the cruise. This might be a good thing to do, if you know that you will need your debit card for travel from ship to home, or on shore purchases. Most of the newer ships allow you to check your account from your cabin through the TV set. That should keep your account within the standard deposit hold amount. Standard deposit holds can change with the lenght of the cruise.

I place a clear document envelope on our dresser and we place all of our ships purchase receipts in it each day. I use those to check my account as we go, to be sure there are no overcharges. Most of the newer ships allow you to do this from your cabin through the TV set. I also like to do this to check for any shipboard credits that are due me.

It is also recommended that you let your bank know before hand if you plan to use your debit card (credit card company for credit card) while out of the country, particularly if you plan to use it at an ATM. I have heard of the cards being locked when used out of the country, if the provider is not pre-notified.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
First Mate

Your experience is the way Debit cards are suppose to work and do in most cases. There are some banks that don't clear the holds immediately.

Around Christmas in Missouri the gas stations were putting a $100 hold on debit cards used to pay at the pump and the banks were not removing the hold for up to a week after the purchase.

Another poster on this board had to borrow money to get home with because the holds on their card did not get released so they were basically charged double for a few days.

It depends on the bank and how the debit card account is set up. If you have not had problems with lengthy holds in the past, you shouldn't have any on your cruise.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Blue Skies.... I definately know about letting my bank know about our trip, but thanks for the reminder...

Also, I do intend to use cash, but when I originally filled out my fun pass, I signed up with my debit card... then I changed it to cash...
I've recently been able to view my docs... it says I need to bring my cc/debit c with me...
I wasn't sure if I was able to change to cash online in time.... or if they will insist on seeing my card or what, so that's when I started inquireing about the holds... I fulling intend to (try) and stick to cash this go round.
Thanks everyone for all your help.... getting close now.

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Captain

Another thought is that a lot of cruises terminate on Saturdays and Sundays when banks are closed, which could account for a delay in releasing holds on the cards.

On one of our cruises, even though we gave our TA the card number we would use to do our fun pass, when we got to the VIP lounge to check in, we were set up as cash. It took just a few minutes to change from cash to debit card, but when they thought we were doing cash, they said we would have wait until we boarded and go to the purser's desk to set up our account. I sure don't want to do that - stand in line once I am on the ship.
2011 Monarch of the Seas