Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Affidavit for minors

My youngest daughter went on her first cruise with my sisters in '06. I was advised to get a notarized affidavit giving my daughter permission to travel with my sister. My sister told me that they never asked for it but it was a good thing to have just in case.

I'll be traveling with my three children, 17, 15, and 14. Will I need a notarized letter from my husband being that he won't be traveling with us? Are the notarized letters required just for little kids or does it include teenagers as well?
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Assuming that you are their legal parent with full custody, you won't need anything. The purpose of the document is to prevent others from taking kids out of the country and also to have authority to authorize medical care if needed. And, it applies to teens as well as children.
Marty
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I'm the legal parent, along with my husband, and I just want to have all my ducks in a row. I wouldn't want to get any unpleasant surprises while checking in and have them ask me for a document I can't produce.
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Admiral

I would take their birth certificates, which you will need anyway unless they have passports. As long as your name has not changed since then, you should not have any issues. I took my 2 nephews on a cruise last year and my sister's ex, who was the father of one of the boys did not have to sign or do anything. A good thing, since he is the type to say no just because he can.
I did have notarized doc's from my sister and, for the other nephew, my brother and his wife. Did not want any potential issues.
Marty
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Colorcrazie, did they ask for the notarized letter when you checked in? All of our kids have passports and that's what I plan to use when we go on our cruise. I just want to make sure that I don't need anything else since I'm already showing their passports.
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:46 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsemani1
Colorcrazie, did they ask for the notarized letter when you checked in? All of our kids have passports and that's what I plan to use when we go on our cruise. I just want to make sure that I don't need anything else since I'm already showing their passports.
You don't need anything other than their passports. It is if you are taking children that are not yours that they require permission documents.
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Two years ago I was given a hard time at debarkation. They were questioning if DH knew I took our son out of the country and on a cruise.
He said it is always a good idea to have something in writing from the parent not on the trip. My son was 12 at the time and we had passports. He actually looked at my son and asked him "Does your father know you were on a cruise?"

From then on I did hand write a note we sign it and have it notarized at the public library. I never had to use it though!

We are cruising next week and will not this time be bringing along a notarized letter.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Captain

We have traveled with the grandchildren and no parents and had notoarized affidavits from both parents (they are divorced). No one asked to see them.

Next time we took the family my daughter took the kids and a notarized statement from their dad, and it was a good thing she had it, because they required it. The children were in their teens. You never know, so act like a boy scout and "be prepared."

As my children were growing up (and even with the grandchildren) I would occasionally keep someone else's children when parents were out of town or they would keep mine, while we were away. There were also instances where the children would travel with other sets of parents or relatives. I always made up a medical release form showing all the children's pertinent medical history and had it notarized with the parent's or our signatures. I also made copies of the insurance cards and attached it to the forms.

If you have ever had a child who was injured in your care and the parents were not around to sign off of medical attention, it is a nightmare for both you and the child.[/i]
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Although my oldest child is 17 and my second child is 15, I think I'm gonna have a notarized letter "just in case." My youngest one is going to be 14 by the time we cruise. I'll just be prepared...better being prepared than sorry.
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Admiral

Yes, I'm a big fan of the Girl Scout/Boy Scout motto...."Be prepared.". While we did not need the forms on the cruise with our nephews, I had it with me. Better to carry around a piece of paper than to get caught needing it and not have it.
Marty
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Admiral

I changed my mind!! I will run up to the Library on Monday and get a letter notarized. Might as well it does not cost anything anyway.

With my luck when I don't have the notarized letter I get questioned!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:39 AM
First Mate

Default Traveling With Children

Just this week end we had a discussion on this with legal counsel. However the children were going with a relative and not a parent. According to the information we have, your trip with your children is just like going to town to see a movie. Nothing special needed as it's all family UNLESS you have some type of pending or formalized legal action involving the children such as a divorce action taking place. In such a case you need to ask your attorney the question. If you are under no legal restraints nor any that are pending, then the children should have their passports and any other papers required by the cruise line. I am not offering legal advise, just my expierence and opinion. Have a great cruise.
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Passenger

On my first cruise, my youngest daughter was 17. After reading the cruise docs, it said a notorized form from the other parent was required for Mexico, so we had the form with our pasports. On my second cruise, I was traveling with my Girl Scout troop. Since I was traveling with OPC(other people's children) they all had notoized forms form their parents. Were we asked for them? No, but the $4.00 we paid for the peace of mind that we had them, if needed, was worth it.

Glory 6/10 St. John and Halifax

Pride 2/10 Pt. Canaveral,Nassau and Freeport

Pride 10/09 Pt. Canaveral,Nassau and Freeport

Triumph 6/09 St. John

Victory 6/08 St. John and Halifax

Fantasy 2/07 Cozumel
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Admiral

This is NOT the same as taking kids to a movie. You are taking them outside the United States...huge difference. In addition, if one of them should require medical attention, you HAVE to have pre-authorization from the parents or legal guardian. Be prepared!!!
Marty
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:57 PM
First Mate

Default Traveling with children

Marty---perhaps I missed something on this. The inquirer clearlry stated that she was traveling with HER CHILDREN.There is a different set of rules when the children are not with their parents. Please correct me but don't chastize me unless you are a parent and you have traveled outside the country many times as I have. May I suggest once again the writer talk with an attorney if she feels there is a problem.
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

No, I have don't have any legal problems related to my children. My husband and me have been married for 18 years and have 3 beautiful children. He has no problems in letting us travel outside the U.S.

I posed the question just because I want to make sure, that because he won't be traveling with us, I would need a notarized letter from him.

I truly thank all of you for responding.
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Both my ex wife and I take our kids on cruises. We always bring a notarized letter signed by the other. Neither of us has ever been asked for it or even questioned, but I know the one time we don't have it there will be a question.

It is a crazy world we live in - would you rather have something you don't technically need or take a chance on having an issue.
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Captain

The personnel at the embarkation counter, have no way of knowing if you and your spouse are involved in a custody battle. So, again, better safe than sorry. We called Carnival before hand to check on this when my daughter and greandchildren were joining us without the father and were told that the affidavit was required. Granted it is not always requested, but we took it just in case. The Carnival website provides a statement to this question as follows:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Captain

The personnel at the embarkation counter, have no way of knowing if you and your spouse are involved in a custody battle. So, again, better safe than sorry. We called Carnival before hand to check on this when my daughter and greandchildren were joining us without the father and were told that the affidavit was required. Granted it is not always requested, but we took it just in case. The Carnival website provides a statement to this question as follows:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.
2011 Monarch of the Seas
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Bill,
I did not mean to chastize you. I am deeply sorry if it came across that way. But, not only have I traveled internationally a lot, as you have, but I have done it with children who were not my own. So, my not being a parent isn't really relevant. And an attorney can only advise on US law. Cruise lines have to take a broader view and they do. Sadly, as previous posts show, it is not a consistent process.
Marty
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:56 AM
First Mate

Default Traveling with minors

Marty

I'm fine---thanks---Have a great day!

Bill