Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Default TRAVELING DO AND DON'T WITH INFANTS

We will be on the Liberty in August and my 1 year old grandaughter will be with us along with her parents. Packing for an infant can be CRAZY. Can anyone that has been through this please let us know the do's and don't of what to take. Diapers, food, toys, ect. PLEASE HELP

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would suggest a small blow up pool, so the baby can sit right by you and splash away.....no evil eyes this way

Also, bring along some zip lock bags..good for fresh fruit, from the buffet...watermelon etc, easy for a baby to enjoy,and for a cold washcloth from the room, to refresh...never have too many

Have a ball!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 6th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Admiral

You also will want to pack baby necessities (food, diapers, medication, wipes). They have a very limited supply on board and its not cheap.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Definitely a cute little sun hat to protect that precious baby skin I'm on the Liberty the week before you so hopefully you will find her clean and ready for your voyage...

Enjoy!

Old July 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
First Mate

Target/Walmart has a great blow-up duckie tub that is great for bathing or splashing on the deck. Be prepared for quite time in the room for naps (I brought lots of reading material). If you have relatives/friends in a next door cabin or a balcony stateroom, bring the monitor as it worked well for us.

I was also thankful for the scented diaper disposal bags for stinky diapers in the stateroom since our steward wasn't always around. I would suggest thinking through your daily routine of what things you use/need during a normal day and go from there.

Michelle
Russell in MD DW
[Russel edited: Giggity]

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
First Mate

Default Traveling with infant

We were going to reply when we read Dina's reply which we believe is right on target. Have a great cruise with your infant. We know you will.
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Passenger

I just noticed you are on the same sailing as us. We are taking our grown kids and their two 2 yr. olds and a 10 month old. We have taken one when he was 5 months, then when he was 20 months and again right after he turned 2. The main thing is to take plenty of wipes and pampers, Carnival has washers and dryers so you can alway's do a load of clothes if you need to. Are you taking a stroller? We did the first time, second trip we took a sit-n-stroll, last time took nothing, and this time with three we haven't decided if we want to bring one, or rent a double on the ship. The main thing is sunscreen, hat, tylenol or motrin and some aloe vera gel just incase. Everything is very expensive on the ship and very limited in selection, food from buffet will be fine unless the baby has a delicate tummy. You are going to have so much fun, enjoy every minute.
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks

I am very nervous about taking her on this cruise. Not for safety reasons just because I am nervous do to taking her out of her normal routine and normal enviroment. I am just at a mind blank with what all to pack. I dont want to over pack but I defiently dont want to under pack either. I appreciate everyones help. I have gotten alot of great ideas.
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Captain

We are taking a cruise in February with our new baby, who will have just reached the required 6 month age limit. We cruised with other older daughters when they were young too, although not 6 months. We personally won't take a stroller this time, we decided on a previous trip that a good backpack carrier that stands up on its own is a better investment for us and it tends to get many less evil eyes from fellow passengers : )

We always take a small medical kit with us that includes fever and pain medication, bandaids, diarhea medication and pedialyte just in case. These things are not always readily available and if they are available, not always known by a brand name that you are familiar with or at a price that is in any way reasonable. This time we will add teething rings that we can throw in the ice bucket just to be sure that we have that option. We are travelling with a small pool for bathtime as well, I think this is the best option.

Hope this helps. I'm sure it will all be wonderful and you'll make many memories that you will cherish for a long time.
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just cruised with our 7 m/o GD in May and it was so much easier than I thought it would be. We had the blow up pool like suggested and we brought the plastic baby food containers and the Toss Away bowls & spoons from Target. We did bring her regular stroller because her car seat hooks into it and we need that for excursions. It was also nice to have the regular stroller and not an umbrella one because she was able to take naps in it instead of us returning to the cabin. We were on an RCL ship and they were nice enough to let us use 2 pack N plays, one for each cabin. Even though we had a blow up pool, our son just covered the drain in the shower for a few inches of water for bath, also using the hand held shower which made for quick baths. We even brought a collapable walker in a box which went on as luggage. This was great to use in the cabin for containment and also by the pool.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Don't forget - to be considerate of other cruisers, especially those who are in the currounding cabins, please make sure to pack several pacifiers, as well as the toys, teddy bears, etc. that comfort him/her to minimize disturbing other passengers who are not enthralled by having a crying baby ruin their vacation.

When he/she cries, please take him/her out on deck, where the sounds will not be as bothersome to people as it is indoors, until he/she settles down.

Thank you.