CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   TRAVELING DO AND DON'T WITH INFANTS (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/365903-traveling-do-dont-infants.html)

Carol B July 5th, 2009 07:27 PM

TRAVELING DO AND DON'T WITH INFANTS

We will be on the Liberty in August and my 1 year old grandaughter will be with us along with her parents. Packing for an infant can be CRAZY. Can anyone that has been through this please let us know the do's and don't of what to take. Diapers, food, toys, ect. PLEASE HELP

Trip July 5th, 2009 09:43 PM

I would suggest a small blow up pool, so the baby can sit right by you and splash away.....no evil eyes this way:):)

Also, bring along some zip lock bags..good for fresh fruit, from the buffet...watermelon etc, easy for a baby to enjoy,and for a cold washcloth from the room, to refresh...never have too many:)

Have a ball!

dina July 6th, 2009 09:17 AM

You also will want to pack baby necessities (food, diapers, medication, wipes). They have a very limited supply on board and its not cheap.

llb July 6th, 2009 10:47 AM

Definitely a cute little sun hat to protect that precious baby skin :) I'm on the Liberty the week before you so hopefully you will find her clean and ready for your voyage...

Enjoy!

Russell in MD July 6th, 2009 09:09 PM

Target/Walmart has a great blow-up duckie tub that is great for bathing or splashing on the deck. Be prepared for quite time in the room for naps (I brought lots of reading material). If you have relatives/friends in a next door cabin or a balcony stateroom, bring the monitor as it worked well for us.

I was also thankful for the scented diaper disposal bags for stinky diapers in the stateroom since our steward wasn't always around. I would suggest thinking through your daily routine of what things you use/need during a normal day and go from there.

Michelle
Russell in MD DW
[Russel edited: Giggity]

billbelt July 7th, 2009 09:35 AM

Traveling with infant

We were going to reply when we read Dina's reply which we believe is right on target. Have a great cruise with your infant. We know you will. LOL LOL LOL

dnunez July 8th, 2009 09:34 PM

I just noticed you are on the same sailing as us. We are taking our grown kids and their two 2 yr. olds and a 10 month old. We have taken one when he was 5 months, then when he was 20 months and again right after he turned 2. The main thing is to take plenty of wipes and pampers, Carnival has washers and dryers so you can alway's do a load of clothes if you need to. Are you taking a stroller? We did the first time, second trip we took a sit-n-stroll, last time took nothing, and this time with three we haven't decided if we want to bring one, or rent a double on the ship. The main thing is sunscreen, hat, tylenol or motrin and some aloe vera gel just incase. Everything is very expensive on the ship and very limited in selection, food from buffet will be fine unless the baby has a delicate tummy. You are going to have so much fun, enjoy every minute.

Graciesmommy0425 July 9th, 2009 02:21 PM

Thanks

I am very nervous about taking her on this cruise. Not for safety reasons just because I am nervous do to taking her out of her normal routine and normal enviroment. I am just at a mind blank with what all to pack. I dont want to over pack but I defiently dont want to under pack either. I appreciate everyones help. I have gotten alot of great ideas.

2Littletime July 9th, 2009 02:41 PM

We are taking a cruise in February with our new baby, who will have just reached the required 6 month age limit. We cruised with other older daughters when they were young too, although not 6 months. We personally won't take a stroller this time, we decided on a previous trip that a good backpack carrier that stands up on its own is a better investment for us and it tends to get many less evil eyes from fellow passengers : )

We always take a small medical kit with us that includes fever and pain medication, bandaids, diarhea medication and pedialyte just in case. These things are not always readily available and if they are available, not always known by a brand name that you are familiar with or at a price that is in any way reasonable. This time we will add teething rings that we can throw in the ice bucket just to be sure that we have that option. We are travelling with a small pool for bathtime as well, I think this is the best option.

Hope this helps. I'm sure it will all be wonderful and you'll make many memories that you will cherish for a long time.

lv2b@sea July 9th, 2009 02:55 PM

We just cruised with our 7 m/o GD in May and it was so much easier than I thought it would be. We had the blow up pool like suggested and we brought the plastic baby food containers and the Toss Away bowls & spoons from Target. We did bring her regular stroller because her car seat hooks into it and we need that for excursions. It was also nice to have the regular stroller and not an umbrella one because she was able to take naps in it instead of us returning to the cabin. We were on an RCL ship and they were nice enough to let us use 2 pack N plays, one for each cabin. Even though we had a blow up pool, our son just covered the drain in the shower for a few inches of water for bath, also using the hand held shower which made for quick baths. We even brought a collapable walker in a box which went on as luggage. This was great to use in the cabin for containment and also by the pool.

Michelle1959 July 10th, 2009 08:20 AM

Don't forget - to be considerate of other cruisers, especially those who are in the currounding cabins, please make sure to pack several pacifiers, as well as the toys, teddy bears, etc. that comfort him/her to minimize disturbing other passengers who are not enthralled by having a crying baby ruin their vacation.

When he/she cries, please take him/her out on deck, where the sounds will not be as bothersome to people as it is indoors, until he/she settles down.

Thank you.