Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Passenger

Default Flight departure time after Carnival Victory in San Juan?

I know that Carnival recommends not booking a return flight earlier than noon when flying out of San Juan, PR, but I've done so in the past with no problems. However, I'm wanting to book a flight for next month that departs at 10:50 & for the life of me, I cannot remember how early I was able to disembark the last time I was in San Juan. Also, that cruise was on Adventure of the Seas. Can any of you comment from experience, about how early you were able to disembark from Carnival Victory? Thanks!
Adventure Of The Seas 3/11/07
Adventure Of The Seas 9/18/05
NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/6/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Keep in mind that the debarkation time can vary from one cruise to the next, even on the same ship. Immigrations has to clear the entire ship. Usually, it is quick, but I have been on cruises where non-US passengers or crew did not go to Immigration area on time and delayed the entire ship.
Marty
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Thanks Marty. Ah...I had forgotten about that scenario. Yup, coming back from Alaska one time (not long after 9/11), our entire ship was gone through with hours & hours of immigration officers on board. LOTS of us missed our afternoon flights.
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Admiral

In 2007 on the Carnival Elation we had Marilyn. Marilyn was not a US citizen, but she didn't feel like going through immigration. :evil: The cabin was calling for Marilyn over the PA. We see the crew searching cabins for Marilyn. Officers even came in the buffet area looking for Marilyn. Finally about 10AM they found Marilyn and got her through immigration. Then they were able to start clearing the ship. So Marilyn delayed everyone getting off the ship and the new group getting on the ship. I never saw what Marilyn looked like. It's the first time a person I never met or talked to annoyed the heck out of me. Stupid Marilyn should stop going on cruises. :evil: I feel better now. Thanks guys.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would keep in mind too that san juan is not the best airport. Even if you made it from the ship I have had horrible experiences waiting in very long lines. A few years back people we met on the cruise missed their flight because the lines to clear security were so long. Good luck!
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Admiral

If you are on a short time leash some of the airlines have the check your bags through service with Carnival in San Juan. That might removed one headache, but there is still that very long security check point. Everybody ending their vacations the same day

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much everyone! GREAT food for thought. I know that the two times I've flown out of San Juan, I've not had any problems, BUT, it would be my luck that I'd have "Marilyn" on my ship!
Think I'll not tempt fate and I'll book a later flight.
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
In 2007 on the Carnival Elation we had Marilyn. Marilyn was not a US citizen, but she didn't feel like going through immigration. :evil: The cabin was calling for Marilyn over the PA. We see the crew searching cabins for Marilyn. Officers even came in the buffet area looking for Marilyn. Finally about 10AM they found Marilyn and got her through immigration. Then they were able to start clearing the ship. So Marilyn delayed everyone getting off the ship and the new group getting on the ship. I never saw what Marilyn looked like. It's the first time a person I never met or talked to annoyed the heck out of me. Stupid Marilyn should stop going on cruises. :evil: I feel better now. Thanks guys.
stupid Marilyn indeed "Hello McFly" !

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Flight departure time after Carnival Victory in San Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltime
I know that Carnival recommends not booking a return flight earlier than noon when flying out of San Juan, PR, but I've done so in the past with no problems. However, I'm wanting to book a flight for next month that departs at 10:50 & for the life of me, I cannot remember how early I was able to disembark the last time I was in San Juan. Also, that cruise was on Adventure of the Seas. Can any of you comment from experience, about how early you were able to disembark from Carnival Victory? Thanks!
We were on her in May and had a 10:50 flight. We did the luggage express ($20 pp) and was off the ship a little after 8:00 and to the airport by 8:30. Every week is probably different tho. You need to let them no at the Pursers desk that you have a early flight.

Don't forget to go thru the agriculture security check first...