Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM
First Mate

Default Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

We will be stopping at HFC on the Liberty the end of August While researching HFC on the various web sites I found conflicting info on who owns and maintains HFC. Some say HAL, some say CCL and others don't even mention it. So, can some of you experienced cruisers please enlighten me on who exactly owns the place? I have been told it is absolutely beautiful and we should just chill on the beach. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Passenger

Default Half Moon Cay

HMC is the private island owned by CCL. CCL also owns Princess, and Holland America.
You will absolutely love this island. Lots of lounge chairs, plenty of food and drink brought over from the ship, and the best sandy beach ever. It is a highlight for us and hope it will be for you too. Enjoy your cruise.
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Master Chief
You will really enjoy Half Moon. It is one of the best beach stops in the Caribbean. No need for an excursion. Just enjoy the beach after you tender in. As for who owns it the correct answer is probably Carnival Corporation. I think HAL was the original user but since they are owned by Carnival Corporation both lines share it. There is a very small number of maint people that remain on the island. All of the bar and food work is done by workers from the ship. They bring everything ashore and take it back at the end of the day. 8)
61 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom X3, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3, Pride
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old July 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
First Mate

I second that. It's a blissful day.
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
First Mate

Alright! Thanks everyone for the information. We will enjoy ourselves
Old July 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM
First Mate

If you like white sand, turquoise seas, a seat at the 'I wish I could stay here forever' bar while people are cooking your BBQ lunch - then you will like Half Moon Cay..
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Beginner

Default HMC food

Is the food that is brought from the ship part of the cruise? Or is the food something that we buy there?
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: HMC food

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie76
Is the food that is brought from the ship part of the cruise? Or is the food something that we buy there?
No charge for the food. Bar items are ship price using your ship card. No cash needed. 8)
61 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom X3, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3, Pride
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

You are going to love HMC!!!! It is absolutely amazingly beautiful!!!!

These are what I recommend:

Cash-no, you don 't need any, BUT, there is a handful of cash-only vendors who sell straw items, shirts, hats, AND you can get your hair braided

HMC gift shop/post office--your S&S card works in there and you can get general HMC items in the shop

Cabanas--a must!! Not cheap, but yours for the whole day--book on board when you embark.

TIP: If you want to be the first off the ship they will take ALL passengers with shore excursions off FIRST!!!!! They make you go to the opper deck 4 of the lounge to wait and then after a few mintues they send you down to Deck 0 to board the tender while everyone else who DOESN'T have a excursion has to wait for a tender sticker. Tender stickers in the teens may mean you are not off the ship and on the island until at least 10:30 or later if you arrive at 9am. If you don't want to book an excursion be prepared to be waiting at the desginated area, which is usually outside the lounge on Deck 3 by at least 8:15-8:30 for a low number tender sticker.

Deck chairs--plenty enough for everyone on the beach, no worries there

Food--hotdogs, hamburgers, veggie burgers, salads, salads, salads, and fruit! I would suggest bringing a bottle for water cuz all they have for glasses, unless things have changed, were small disposable cups

Remember, most important of all, you must leave the island when the last tender leaves. They take all the food and drink with them, so remember, you can always book another cruise taht stops there!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:42 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief
We will be stopping at HFC on the Liberty the end of August While researching HFC on the various web sites I found conflicting info on who owns and maintains HFC. Some say HAL, some say CCL and others don't even mention it. So, can some of you experienced cruisers please enlighten me on who exactly owns the place? I have been told it is absolutely beautiful and we should just chill on the beach. Thanks.
Half Moon Cay is owned by Holland America which is owned by Carnival Corporation.

Bill
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you don't book a cabana, do they have umbrellas on the beach?
Old July 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Admiral

There are no umbrellas in the "free" beach chair area. There are clamshells you can rent for a very cheap price (under $20) and are big enough for two people. The cabanas don't have unbrellas, rather they have a covered area, and the open deck area with two wicker lounge chairs. The table in the covered area has four chairs.

The island is owned by HAL, but Carnival is the mother corporation, so they get to have limited use of the island. They usually have only one ship ashore, but sometimes there are two HAL ships, not often though.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

Old July 17th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

What about lounge chairs on the beach? Are there any available for free or do you have to rent those as well? Also, what do you mean by the "free" beach? And, are towels available or do you bring them from the ship?

Thanks!
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2vacation63
What about lounge chairs on the beach? Are there any available for free or do you have to rent those as well? Also, what do you mean by the "free" beach? And, are towels available or do you bring them from the ship?

Thanks!
The lounge chairs on the beach are free and plentiful. You bring your towels from the ship and there is a towel exchange available on the island if you would like a fresh one at any time. We have never rented the cabanas and have always been able to find ample shady spots as well as sunny areas and have never been disappointed. This is one of those days that can be absolutely free and it is beautiful, many people will pay the couple hundred dollars for the cabana, as for us, we were thrilled with the no cost option.

Just another quick note as well, in the three times that we have been there we have never had a long wait for the tenders, it seems to be well run and they move a huge number of people off and on with efficiency, even on the one day when the winds were high and extra precautions had to be taken getting off and on.
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Admiral

There will be enough loungers for everyone on the ship. They are all ready to do before the ship shows up, and somehow they know how many will be needed. They are set in rows, so front row is best view.

The ship I was on took forever to get passengers off. Tender stickers were being passsed out with numbers in the 30's......I was on the Triumph and there was a full ship when I went!!!!!

I'll be going after a cabana when I go in January. I'll be on board before noon and waiting, milling around the shore tours desk to book it!!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

Old July 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Captain

Half Moon Cay is one of the MOST beautiful places I have been on 5 cruises...........the water is so clear and light blue that you can see to the bottom....it's like standing in glass. 6" angelfish swimming around you....and we rented one of the cabana's cuz we had a $200 OBC.....it was the best stop ever. Even saw a real life starfish.....wiggling around it was awesome.
Old July 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Is the cabana worth $200 and how many can get under it? We will have a 1 year old with us who will need shade

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol B
Is the cabana worth $200 and how many can get under it? We will have a 1 year old with us who will need shade
Here is a link to a pic of the cabana.http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1...59670232jivcIs

We had one with 5 people in it. We had lousy service so we didn't tip the guy and he none to pleased. You get 4 with the price of the cabana. Anything over that you pay extra pp.

Bill
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Admiral

You get 4 what? Drinks? There would be 4 of us and a 1 yr old. We just want the baby shade. Will we find that or should I go with this?

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Ok I looked into the cabana and I would like to have one. Can you book them before you go? I talked with Carnival and they acted like they did not know what I was talking about

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Admiral

How many due they have and can you pick the one you want? Which one is best? Close to restrooms

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Admiral

You get soft drinks, water, and some chips/fruit. Also included was a float mat and snorkle mask & fins for each person. Last time I rented one if memory serves correctly it was $229 for up to 4 persons. I read on a post somewhere that the price had gone up but don't know for sure. On Carnival you cannot book them on line as you can with Holland America. It must be done at the shore excursion desk. If you want one do it immediately as they go fast. 8)
HAL Statendam
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Thanks. Our plane lands at 10:30am so by the time we get to the ship we should be one of the first ones onboard, so we will go straight to the desk.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol B
You get 4 what? Drinks? There would be 4 of us and a 1 yr old. We just want the baby shade. Will we find that or should I go with this?
You asked how many you get under it. I assumed you meant how many people so I said 4.

If that was not what you were referring to please elaborate as to what you meant when you said how many do you get under it and I'll do my best to answer.

When we went a couple years ago they had about 10-11 cabanas. I think there are about 15 now.

Bill
Old July 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Carol B
Yes you get to pick from the ones still available. There are now 15 with the lower numbers being closer to the restrooms & food. It is also where most of the passengers will be. The higher numbers are down the beach and less crowded. Some of the higher numbers seemed like they had good shade. When you sign up on the ship just tell them you have 4 persons. Nobody on the island will care that you have a baby with you.
HAL Statendam
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Admiral

thanks for all your info you have been a big help/ We leave in one month, I can't wait. This is my 11th cruise and I get just as excited as if it were my first.

HAPPY CRUSING

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:22 PM
Captain

You can ONLY book onboard with Carnival. I believe the desk opens up at noon........we were first in line and ask for one toward the middle.....we were told they were sold in numerical order....so we got #1.
It was very nice....air-conditioned also and a nice outdoor shower. Only problem we had was that other beach goers think these are for anyone....and we took a sign with us that read " PRIVATE PARTY" and had no problems at all.
they stock the frig with pop and water. They bring you a tray of fruit and stuff before the grill food is ready. Some say the cabana boys went and got them a bunch of food, but we went and got our own.
Enjoyed it very much and would go for the $$$ again...it is well worth it...especially for the A/C and the shower.