CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Murder on Elation (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/366247-murder-elation.html)

Michelle1959 July 17th, 2009 09:04 AM

Murder on Elation

Domestic dispute, hubby put into brig, charged. Any crime can happen oin a cruise ship, and unfortunately, this proves it.

If they were having issues before the cruise, she should have left him.

Sadly, when a bad marriage continues, it's usally the wife who pays, one way or the other. My prayers are with her friends and family.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/16/...ath/index.html

cutiecat July 17th, 2009 11:07 AM

i saw that this morning~i guess we'll see how the story unfolds...

2Littletime July 17th, 2009 11:11 AM

Domestic abuse is so sad and so complex to understand. While we don't know that this was not an isolated event, I think it unlikely that without any other violence in the relationship, this man killed his wife. Statistically, vacations tend to provide a brief hiatus from domestic abuse with many partners reporting that it was the only time in their relationship that they felt safe.

All we can do is continue to pray for her family and for every other victim of domestic violence and to continue to push for more victims rights and increased penalties for the abusers.

It sounds like CCL did a great job in keeping the scene well preserved and in contacting the appropriate authorities. I'm sure they wish that people would just stop dying while cruising on their ships.

briguy July 17th, 2009 11:57 AM

I guess if there is a silver lining to this is that it wasnt a random act which would scare would be travelers from cruising. Although tragic, it would have been a lot worse if somebody killed a stranger on a ship. People would be in fear of being on the Elation for sure. Bet they dont sell that room for awhile. I would hate to be the next family that has to stay there after this happened.

Snoozeman July 17th, 2009 12:26 PM

It's a shame.

IMHO-If this had happened in a San Diego hotel or resort it would have only been local news-maybe. I don't know why a crime on a cruise ship gets national press.

Luanne Russo July 17th, 2009 03:31 PM

It is very sad, and my prayers go out to the families involved.

I am just glad that her body remained on the ship. Lord knows how many "People falling off the ship" were in fact murder.

katlady July 17th, 2009 04:14 PM

That's depressing. I feel bad for the family. I wonder if they had any kids? What will happen to them now? I enjoyed the Elation so much when I cruised on that ship.

I wonder if Carnival has to disclouse to future passengers that a murder ocurred in that cabin? I know that sounds strange to ask. But with houses any death has to be disclouse. I wouldn't want to be the next cruiser in that cabin.

Michelle1959 July 17th, 2009 05:27 PM

yeah, I don't know, they probably have to keep it "secured"until the investigation is over preserve evidence, etc. perhaps even until the murder trial is over? That cabin may be out of commission for a long time. I'm sure they hae been ordered to change the lock and not let ANYONE enter, housekeeping or anyone.

The most important thing to glean from tihs is that any crime can happen anywhere, and that just becuase we all know that most cruisers are wondeful people not out to hurt or steal from anyone, we have to acknowledge that anyone can cruise, which means that anything can happen to anyone on a cruise.

Just another point for making sure anyone (adults or kids) don't wander around alone. Walkie-talkies are no help if someone is grabbed unexpectedly and raped, strangled or tossed overboard.

We should be aware of our surroundings - especially people - no matter whether we are at home or on vacation.

libbygms July 17th, 2009 08:31 PM

What the heck is this? Have not heard anything about this incident. What happened , when & where?
Libby

Luanne Russo July 17th, 2009 09:13 PM

Sorry to say, but as we speak, the cabin is occupied, and on the ocean.

Cabins are returned to normal as soon as the FBI releases it.

I had a cabin steward once who was on the clean up crew for things like this. Blood is not easy to remove due to the salt content of cabins, who are constantly exposed to sea air.

Yes, I have stayed in a cabin where the occupant died, and no they did not disclose it. I am nosy. LOL

No I did not see a ghost, but the ice bucket always seemed like it had ice. :shock: Just kidding

Ron July 18th, 2009 12:22 AM

If a murder occurs in a hotel room they don't have to advise every potential guest that that room was the scene of a murder so why would a cruise ship have to do any differently? If a fatal wreck occurs in a particular stretch of road, they don't stop traffic except for the time to clean up--within a few hours it's whizzing by as usual.

I'm sure we have all stayed in hotels,condos, apts. ship cabins, etc where something occurred that we never knew about. Better not to know.

katlady July 18th, 2009 01:21 AM

Probably true Ron, I guess if I'm stuck in the cabin that I don't want to know someone died in it. It's just strange to think that you may be lying in the bed someone has been killed or died in. I hadn't thought about that until I read this story. A co-worker just booked the Elation for Christmas her or her kids may be in that room. This is probably what caused me to wonder.

katlady July 18th, 2009 01:24 AM

Re: Murder on Elation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle1959
Domestic dispute, hubby put into brig, charged. Any crime can happen oin a cruise ship, and unfortunately, this proves it.

If they were having issues before the cruise, she should have left him.

Sadly, when a bad marriage continues, it's usally the wife who pays, one way or the other. My prayers are with her friends and family.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/16/...ath/index.html

Hi Michelle I'm linking your story to make it easier to read.

redi2cruise July 18th, 2009 02:16 AM

My family and I will be on that very same ship leaving from San Diego in two weeks! I would really hate it if we happen to be assigned to that very same room where the wife had died. I would like that info to be disclosed just like do they when you buy a house!!!

Manuel July 18th, 2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman
It's a shame.

IMHO-If this had happened in a San Diego hotel or resort it would have only been local news-maybe. I don't know why a crime on a cruise ship gets national press.

That is true, when there is a murder anywhere on lnan it only makes the local news.

Why a crime on ship makes national news is a puzzle to me also.

TM

turkeyman July 18th, 2009 12:24 PM

I almost called security on time when I heard a disturbance across the hall. It sounded like they were re-arranging the furniture, (about 10 minutes after their bill was slid under their door).

Ron July 18th, 2009 01:18 PM

I would bet that there's been some goings on in a lot of cabins on cruise ships ( as well as hotel rooms ) other than murder that would make some not want to sleep in that bed, use that bathroom, etc. if we just knew !! :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Luanne Russo July 18th, 2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron
I would bet that there's been some goings on in a lot of cabins on cruise ships ( as well as hotel rooms ) other than murder that would make some not want to sleep in that bed, use that bathroom, etc. if we just knew !! :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink: :wink:

To much info Ron, way to much info. LOL LOL

ladym00s July 18th, 2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redi2cruise
My family and I will be on that very same ship leaving from San Diego in two weeks! I would really hate it if we happen to be assigned to that very same room where the wife had died. I would like that info to be disclosed just like do they when you buy a house!!!

I'm going on that cruise on 8/17!

Ron July 18th, 2009 11:12 PM

I saw on the news tonight a small mention of this. According to the news the husband killed her in the bathroom with his bare hands. They showed an aerial view of the ship, then showed some people on a balcony-- looked like they had tape up on it--so they must have had a suite or a minisuite.
Just wondering why but if he wanted to kill her why he didn't use the balcony
I think it said on the news he admitted he did it and did it in the bathroom.
Who knows what evil lurks in the mind of man--or something like that. :shock:

katlady July 18th, 2009 11:19 PM

My husband read on the internet the same report as you. If it's a balcony on Elation it has to be a cat 11 or 12. Those are the only balcony room on Fantasy class ships. No 8As or 9As. So to those sailing soon if you aren't a cat. 11 or 12 you won't be in the room this occurred in. Here is a link to the updated story. http://www.kusi.com/news/local/51061817.html

sweetd_1965 July 22nd, 2009 07:51 AM

Muder on Elation

I had the misfortune to be on this cruise. To the people who wondered if it was a balcony room it was not. Their room was on the riveria deck 4 low even number room. I give the crew alot of credit most people knew nothing about what happened untill they got off the ship and saw all the news crews. I found out alot due to being a few rooms down the hall and seeing ship police guarding the room at all times I asked alot of questions lol.
I thank the crew for doing everything in their power to make my vacation enjoyable. My prayers go out to the family for their loss.[/b]

gigicruiser July 22nd, 2009 01:10 PM

Thank you sweetD for sharing your experience firsthand.

mehawk July 22nd, 2009 10:31 PM

I am sorry this happened, especially on my favorite ship.