Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Food for dieters

I had weight loss surgery last year and I'm a bit concerned about my upcoming cruise. I have the lapband and I don't want to overindulge eating.

Does the buffet line have a salad bar with low cal salad dressings? What about the food in the dining room? I know they have vegetarian food, but what about low cal food for those that are counting calories?
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Yes the buffet does have a great salad bar and plenty of fresh fruit. The dining room also has "lite" selections on the menu. Everything you need to maintain a healthy style of eating is available. It is no different than you will find on land. Just make good choices and you will be fine.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old July 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

They have ltos of choices. I do believe they have low calorie salad dressings. I am not much of a salad eater on a cruise, so I can't tell you which ones. You will be amazed at how much food there is to eat. The dining room offers "spa" cuisine that is low cal (and salt, and/or carb) that you can choose from. The main courses, other than beef dishes, are not that big at all. The sweet nad sour shrimp are Four large tiger shrimp breaded/cooked. It isn't much, but it is tasty!

I wouls suggest for you to eat in moderation. The food is there from early morning to 4pm and then after that it is limited but yet still have decent choice. Having lap band surgery and cruising doesn't always go cuz cruises are known for the abundance of food.....You can indulge a little more, but balance it out by taking time to work off the extra calories. Sitting on a deck chair sunning doesn't butrn calories, but walking around the ship several times a bow (as close to) to stern will work some of those calories off. They also have the jogging/walking track.

I can't sit and suntan, I need to be moving, thus, I walk the decks many times. It isn't uncommon for me to walk around Panorama/or Lido deck seven or eight times a day or more. The ship is quite large, thus, I never gain weight when I cruise. I also tend to to excursions that have a fair amount of walking involved, which helps!!! Most piers the ship docks are are quite LONG, so that is a really nice casual stroll to get off and on the pier--good time to take pictures......

Enjoy your cruise!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for your responses. On my other cruises (pre-surgery) I ate to my heart's content, but not now. I want to enjoy my cruise to its fullest, especially since I'll be with my children, my mom and my bestest friend. I want to enjoy the shows, the pool, the deck, the quiet time, the loud times...and the food. I don't want food to be the center of it all.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Beginner

Lots of healthy alternatives are available. I love fresh fruits and salads, but don't eat enough of them at home because they are a pain to peel and chop. That's all done for you on the ship! I'm a big woman and not a dieter, but I have lost 2-5 lbs. on every cruise. A big bowl of melon while lounging around the pool is as enjoyable to me as anything.
The main dining room has a lot of choices, too. Every fish dish I had was exquisite (except the Lobster Bisque--fishy and fatty). But the broiled, pan-seared, etc. fish was wonderful.
Hopefully, you are close enough with your friend and family to get a just bite of what they ordered for the experience. (Everybody needs a first hand opinion of THE Warm Melting Chocolate Cake firsthand---love it--hate it--that's what these boards are made of!) Personally, I like to order the fruit plate for dessert and sweet-talk my husband into letting me dunk my fruit into his melting cake like a fondue. Yummers!!